All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:03 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2093 thanks
Received: 1460 thanks
Bike(s): Sirens: Song and John Henry
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca
There have been a bunch of bike thefts reported lately. I love my bike and would be crushed if my one-of-a-kind bike was stolen.

I've talked with a cop who told me that any description of the bike is pointless. They will never bother even taking down the brand of cranks or bars or whatever you have done that makes your bike unique. They only go by make and serial number on the frame.

One thing that he told me was that you can add your own ID to help them out. The only part of your ID that cops can access in the field is your drivers license number in their car database. Adding your CA drivers license number to your bike allows them immediate lookup in their car computer for stolen property. They cannot access other numbers such as social security or other forms of ID.

I bought a set of 3mm number and letter punches, and stamped the following onto the underside of the bottom bracket:
Line 1: CA
Line 2: N833**** < my actual drivers license number>

I have no idea if this will help recover stolen property, but the expense was minimal and it can only help. Of course this only works on metal frames, and I would never try this with carbon.

The following 4 users would like to thank OhNooo for his or her post:
Canaan, Dirtrider, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:36 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 104 thanks
Received: 170 thanks
Bike(s): Fuel 100/Mamasita (in pieces)
Favorite Trails: 50 year - North of Tucson
I used to hide a laminated card in the bottom of the seatpost, and a smaller one folded up under the top cap of the headset. Easy to access if you get a chance to find the bike. Most shops I would hope would be honest enough to call you if they encountered the info. One of my friends even used to put a card around the BB.

The following 2 users would like to thank couchracer for his or her post:
Canaan, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:29 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Hi couchracer,

That is also a great idea. That helps recover the bike if it never gets into police hands and winds up at a local bike shop sometime later. That won't help at all for the police to find you if the bike gets into their hands during a theft ring bust, because the cops will never dissasemble a bike looking for hidden info. It also won't help if the thief wrenches on his bikes himself.

The ID stamped into the bottom bracket will help only if the police get involved.

The following user would like to thank OhNooo for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:40 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1419 thanks
Received: 1475 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 951, SC Roadster
Favorite Trails: The ones with dirt on them!
So, what do you do to the CDL stamped on the frame when you sell your bike?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:48 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7321 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
Wait a few days, call the cops and double your profit!

The following 3 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
Canaan, kaymonster, Mudd
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:45 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

My bike is never getting sold. I'll ride it until it breaks.

The following user would like to thank OhNooo for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:40 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
All valid info and like you said, it's can't hurt in the long run. As a now retired officer, I can tell you the only real info that gets loaded is the database is the make, color, mens or women's and serial # if you have it. On the report, we can add whatever info we want but there's no place for it in the standard computer database. So in reality, if you don't know your serial #, you're not getting your bike back 99% of the time....even if the police do find it. To make matters worse (and better for the thieves). The courts got real picky in the 90's when somebody figured out that multiple companies were using the same serial numbers so defense attorneys were using that to get their clients off. It got so bad that the D.A. refused to prosecute most bike theft cases that were "made" on serial number info only.

The amazing part is that the number of people who know their serial number is amazingly low. Easily less than 1%. We had one case down in Pacific Beach in the mid 90's where we recovered over 1000 (yes, thousand) bakes in this guys back yard. A detective, thankfully not me, had to go thru every bike and run the serial numbers that could be located. I was told that they found less than 10 owners. To be honest, they weren't high end type bikes and most owners wouldn't want a lot of the stuff back that we found. This guy was stealing bikes then changing the parts from one bike to another to change the appearance.

I would "guess" that anybody stealing these high end bikes will at least go to a different area to try and sell them. I know I took 2-3 cases from MTB Warehouse in PB where they had multiple high end bikes stolen. They knew the serial numbers and I don't think a single bike was recovered.

OhNooo wrote:
There have been a bunch of bike thefts reported lately. I love my bike and would be crushed if my one-of-a-kind bike was stolen.

I've talked with a cop who told me that any description of the bike is pointless. They will never bother even taking down the brand of cranks or bars or whatever you have done that makes your bike unique. They only go by make and serial number on the frame.

One thing that he told me was that you can add your own ID to help them out. The only part of your ID that cops can access in the field is your drivers license number in their car database. Adding your CA drivers license number to your bike allows them immediate lookup in their car computer for stolen property. They cannot access other numbers such as social security or other forms of ID.

I bought a set of 3mm number and letter punches, and stamped the following onto the underside of the bottom bracket:
Line 1: CA
Line 2: N833**** < my actual drivers license number>

I have no idea if this will help recover stolen property, but the expense was minimal and it can only help. Of course this only works on metal frames, and I would never try this with carbon.

The following 3 users would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
Canaan, Lanceuppercut, OhNooo
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:12 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 325 thanks
Received: 229 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz LTC, KTM 300
Favorite Trails: big laguna
This is a great idea. I have a carbon bike I think I will stamp my license number on the inside of my crank arm. The dimwits who steal bikes won't think to look there.