All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 42a Vs 60a Compound?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:23 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 62 thanks
Received: 154 thanks
Favorite Trails: narrow
I'm thinking about getting some tires but wanted to see if anyone is running the Maxxis Minion DH F/R in a 42a compound. I think the softer compound would be nice for grip but naturally wear out faster than the 60a compound. My question is, How long do the 42a last in comparison?

I found them for a really good price and want to order some for future use. I currently run the 60a and like them plenty.

Post subject: Re: 42a Vs 60a Compound?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:30 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1419 thanks
Received: 1475 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 951, SC Roadster
Favorite Trails: The ones with dirt on them!
I'm running the Minion 60d's on my VP-Free.
Not sure why you need the 40a's for SoCal riding? :?

How much $$ did you find them for?

The following user would like to thank Mudd for his or her post:
qpcr8tiv
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:36 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Mudd wrote:

Ok, that's what I thought. Meant more for mud and wet conditions. I found them for $24 for 26 x 2.35. The 2.5s are about $40.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:53 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7335 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
OldschoolBMXer wrote:
Mudd wrote:

Ok, that's what I thought. Meant more for mud and wet conditions. I found them for $24 for 26 x 2.35. The 2.5s are about $40.

Normally I would run a 42a on the front and 60a on the rear so that it lasts longer. Doing that I would go through a set of tires every 1.5-2 years. The front doesn't get as much abuse I find because it doesn't skid as much. And the 42a has better traction. I don't find you need it as much here but at home where trails are wet & muddy the extra traction makes a big difference.

I have 2.35 minions on my heckler right now, both 42a. I put them on in March or April. The rear is pretty much shot but the front is still in great shape and will probably go for another year.

I saw a deal on pricepoint for 60a 26x2.5. Is that where you saw this? I wouldn't mind picking up some more 26x2.35s if you are willing to let me know where the deal is.

thanks!

The following user would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
qpcr8tiv
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:28 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

evdog wrote:
Normally I would run a 42a on the front and 60a on the rear so that it lasts longer. Doing that I would go through a set of tires every 1.5-2 years. The front doesn't get as much abuse I find because it doesn't skid as much. And the 42a has better traction. I don't find you need it as much here but at home where trails are wet & muddy the extra traction makes a big difference.

I have 2.35 minions on my heckler right now, both 42a. I put them on in March or April. The rear is pretty much shot but the front is still in great shape and will probably go for another year.

I saw a deal on pricepoint for 60a 26x2.5. Is that where you saw this? I wouldn't mind picking up some more 26x2.35s if you are willing to let me know where the deal is.

thanks!

:thumbsup: That's a good idea, I went to MTBR.com reviews and found that a lot of people do the same thing you suggested. I guess I really don't need to buy these tires since you're able to get 1.5-2 yrs out of them and I'm into my 3rd month at this point. :) But this is a heck of a price on them.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Maxxi ... 360024628/

Shipping is a little more than usual, but if you spend $150 it's free shipping and no tax on any purchase :wink: . I've been happy with these guys. I haven't had to return anything, can't imagine it being much different than most web businesses. The exchange rate varies but it's been good the past couple of days. (make sure to change the pricing display preference in the upper right to see USD).

:thumbsup: Use coupon code: YJUGA-D8ANK (for $7 bucks discount)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:11 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1419 thanks
Received: 1475 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 951, SC Roadster
Favorite Trails: The ones with dirt on them!
Beyond Bikes did a Price Point price match and I picked mine up there. Costs me $43 each for the 2.5" 60d.

I wish I would have gotten the 2.7's....they run narrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:12 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7335 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
I was actually considering ordering a couple pairs of bike shorts from wiggle that I could not find in the US anywhere. But I did not know what import duties and taxes I might get stuck with. Have you ever had to pay anything on orders from UK? Or any problems?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:21 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

evdog wrote:
I was actually considering ordering a couple pairs of bike shorts from wiggle that I could not find in the US anywhere. But I did not know what import duties and taxes I might get stuck with. Have you ever had to pay anything on orders from UK? Or any problems?

My credit card charged me finance charges, so the way I looked at it, it was about 4-6% of the total purchase price. I paid using paypal once and was not charged for finance charges, as far as I can tell.

But overall, it's not that big a hit. The exchange rate varies so the price is not exact while you're shopping -- so the value is in products that you either can't find anywhere else or if you're buying large ticket items like cranks, deraileurs, shifters from shimano (bike shops here can't even touch those prices).

I'm definitely fine with buying from them... although you might have to go to the post office to pick up your package (that's the only downside).

The following user would like to thank qpcr8tiv for his or her post:
evdog
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:01 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 0 thanks
Bike(s): Trek, Kona
Favorite Trails: ATT
The 42 duro's grip like crazy but they suck if you have to do any pedaling uphill. It feels like your brakes are dragging. As mentioned by others, if used in the rear, plan to change them out pretty quickly.