It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:12 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 292 thanks
Received: 190 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Reign 1, K2 Base 3.0
Favorite Trails: Calaveras; Sandy ridge, OR.
So I just threw some new gear into my '11 reign 1 and am stoked on a couple of the items I put on it. First of all I put on a new SLX 10 speed cassette, new XTR chain, jagwire shiftin' cables, new XT shadow-plus rear derailleur, and replaced my slx chainrings with the praxisworks mountain double chainring setup. Did all the work myself, which I'm real proud of, cuz it was my first time taking on such a task.

Took the rig out to Hodges yesterday for a test run and everything worked flawlessly. The shadow plus rear derailleur is a freaking god-send. Dead quiet and works like dream. The Praxisworks chainrings shift so fast. It's literally a night n day difference! Very pleased! Got to the dam and flatted on my way back. Noticed it at about the (vacant?) yellow house that overlooks the lake. Went to pull out a new tube from the camelbak and ...... No tube. Dipshit maneuver!! But walked back to the truck with a smile on my face ready to ride again! No carbon, no pics. Just stoke!

The following 6 users would like to thank K2Brandon for his or her post:
Canaan, childplease, Dirtrider, OhNooo, OldDogDan, Scarbery Rdr
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:19 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
How do you like the jagwire cables? Last night I burst (for want of a better term) one the sections of my cable housing. The side split open, the wire that wraps around the center sheath came unwound, and the center sheath is sticking way out from where it should be -- it's crazy looking. It felt like the shifter broke or the cable came loose at the pinch point on the dr and then I looked down near my head tube and saw this big ol' exploded mess.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:35 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10526 thanks
Received: 7547 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
I have been thinking of switching to the shadow plus rear derailleur since I get so much chain slap on rocky DH. Do you keep the switch on all the time and does it help with slap?

Also, did you come from 3X9 too?

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:58 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Original cables were jags and never had a problem. They were just getting old so I guess I've been pretty happy with em so far!

Ya the bike was 3x10 when I bought it. Ditched the big ring for a bash. Don't even miss the big ring. The shadow plus is designed to help prevent slap and I'd say that it works amazing. Was gonna get the slx version but the XT came up on chainlove for $69 so I had to do that. Got the gs version. You run it with the clutch on all the time if u want. You've gotta turn it off to take the wheel off though.

The following 2 users would like to thank K2Brandon for his or her post:
Canaan, Dirtrider
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:53 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Canaan wrote:
How do you like the jagwire cables? Last night I burst (for want of a better term) one the sections of my cable housing. The side split open, the wire that wraps around the center sheath came unwound, and the center sheath is sticking way out from where it should be -- it's crazy looking. It felt like the shifter broke or the cable came loose at the pinch point on the dr and then I looked down near my head tube and saw this big ol' exploded mess.

I have been running the Jagwire sealed system for six months now and think its great. Your shift cables must be pretty old to get to that point. Shifting degrades so gradually that I will throw on new cables every year or two even if it seems fine, and I'm always impressed by the improvement. Next year I think I'll try continuous housing. Here's a pretty good previous discussion:
http://dirttreaders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13645

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:03 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
^^^ That piece of housing was really old. I switched out the cable and housing about 6 months ago and developed a shifting problem recently from a burr on the front section of housing. I didn't have a tool to re-cut the housing or to take off the burr, so I removed that front section and replaced it with the old section which I hung on to as measuring stick for cutting future housing replacements. Now I know what a catastrophic housing failure looks like -- I never would have thought that the shift cable puts that kind of load on the housing.

The following user would like to thank Canaan for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:23 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2093 thanks
Received: 1460 thanks
Bike(s): Sirens: Song and John Henry
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca
Pictures Eric or it didn't happen! :D

By the way I was really thrown by the OP. He was talking about replacing his SIX chainrings and I could not believe that large number of chainrings. I even went as far as googling praxisworks to see if there was something with that much gizmosity that it had SIX chainrings. Only after re-reading did I see "slx" and not "six". :D

The following 2 users would like to thank OhNooo for his or her post:
Canaan, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:26 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

I'll have to remember that next time!! I just re-read my post and it does look like six!