Post subject: Kids' Bikes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:12 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9422 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
So my oldest is a petite 5 year old. She's been riding the Skuut for a couple of years, and we think it's time to get her on some pedals. Last Sunday she and I buzzed around the area looking at bike shops and places where cheap bikes are sold, but I'm not sure what will be best for her and my wallet.

First is the size. 16" would be too big for her to ride without training wheels, and I want to take advantage of the skills she's built on the balance bike. Should I go 12"? Should I take the training wheels off right away or let her get used to pedals and then take them off?

Next is what kind of bike should I get her? The Hotrock looks nice, but it's $200. My wife doesn't want to spend more than $100. Is there a case to argue for the Hotrock? It is lighter than the steel bikes... Giant has a bike, but it's almost $200. Seems like I should just do the Hotrock. My wife thinks we can just get a Huffy or whatever. I really don't like the idea of my kid on a Huffy, but it's hard to argue for an expensive bike for her when she won't be riding this bike too long.

What are your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Kids' Bikes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:41 am 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 1 thanks
Bike(s): Tracer VP, Haro SS 29er
Favorite Trails: Mission Trails
Yous can get a 14" bike, I have one and feel free to give it a try and keep it if you want, my son is 4 but he is taller so he is riding a 16" now. PM me if you are interested.

The following user would like to thank jbryson for his or her post:
Ld00d
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:17 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5022 thanks
Received: 5056 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
If she is balancing on the Skuut, forget about the training wheels. My two 4 y.o. boys went immediately from Strider balance bikes to riding pedal bikes. My 7 y.o daughter had training wheels on her bike for 2 years and hardly ever rode it. When we decided to take the damn things off, she got up right away and rides every day now.

I got a Hotrock from MiLo and it is very nice. Although I gotta say Craigslist is full of kid bikes if you just broaden the search to "bike." Doing that I found a 12 inch pedal bike a mile from my house for $20 which one of my boys loves and rides every day. It is as light as the Hotrock, however, the Hotrock does have 16 inch wheels.

-Big Clyde

The following user would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
Ld00d
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:40 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 252 thanks
Bike(s): Chumba XCL, Tassajara
Favorite Trails: La Costa
If they ride like my boys I wouldn't drop the money on a hardrock, they don't deserve bikes that nice!

And I second the 'no training wheels' advice from Kimba, if they are riding a glider they already know the balance part.

The following user would like to thank PaulChavez for his or her post:
Ld00d
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:34 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
If she'll be disappointed by a used bike, get a cheap but "pretty" dept store one that fits her now. Then if she really enjoys riding, get her a good one like a Hardrock when she's ready for the bigger size.

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Ld00d
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:49 am 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 2 thanks
Received: 9 thanks
Bike(s): SOla S 29er , Tarmac Pro road
Favorite Trails: San Diego Wii only versions
There is a new kids bike shop opening next week up in Portland.
http://www.islabikes.co.uk/

Islabikes makes kid sized bikes that are light and made with normal bike components. They only sell if you get a fit at their showroom which is the same way they do it in the uk. My son rode a Stryder from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 and made a 10 second jump to peddling on an Islabike Cnoc 16 I bought from EBAY UK and had shipped here at a good price. They are great bikes--AND LIGHT so if you are needing kids mt or track or road bikes and in the area they are really worth a look.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:57 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
most kids bike are designed to be thrown around more than riding. check the weight. it probably weighs more than your bike. that is, if you want to make a case for a $200 bike. i also found that the front sus on cheap bikes is absolutely useless. more of a decoration really. so if you want to start going on trails there is a case for a $200 bike. if it's just to ride around the neighborhood, the usual stuff is good enough, especially if it comes in pink.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:58 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 104 thanks
Received: 170 thanks
Bike(s): Fuel 100/Mamasita (in pieces)
Favorite Trails: 50 year - North of Tucson
My brother solved the used bike dilemma- strip it down and paint the frame whatever color(s) they want. Get creative. Heck, I've personally rode zebra and leopard print bikes just because I was bored. If the child helps or at least has creative input, you can save a lot of $. They also tend to take better care as Daddy (or Mommy) made it especially for them. Plus you can show them how the whole thing works and just sink the hooks in early.

The following 2 users would like to thank couchracer for his or her post:
24v, OldDogDan