All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:49 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 68 thanks
Received: 25 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis Mojo HD
Favorite Trails: Snail
Does anyone have any experience running the Hans Dampf Performance tire with the ORC compound in a tubeless setup? Since the bike shop didn't have the tire that I wanted, I decided to try the Hans Dampf. $86 for a tire was more than I wanted to spend so the guy recommended the Performance version. It has a harder compound than the more expensive tubeless ready version and was only $35. Several of the mechanics swore by the tire so I decided to give it a shot. I am using it for a rear tire so I wasn't as concerned about the harder compound.

I am curious how the HD works in a tubeless set up. I have Flow rims and I am hoping that they will work.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

JJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:00 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 817 thanks
Received: 1273 thanks
Bike(s): Rune V2/DHR
Favorite Trails: Buns Of Anarchy
I tried running one on the rear tubeless for a while. There were several pinhole leaks in the sidewalls which I was able to get sealed up with Stan's before I rode it. Then as soon as I rode it they would start leaking again. I thought it was just old sealant so I got some new stuff and the same thing happened.
I ended up just pumping it up on the trail before any descents. Then I blew it off the bead going down Bernardo Mtn and wrecked pretty hard. I had effed up ribs and shoulder for 5 weeks. It is now hanging in my garage and I have one of the expensive ones on the rear. I think it would have been fine if I could have found a way to seal up the sidewalls.

The following user would like to thank Lanceuppercut for his or her post:
jimmyj
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:28 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 295 thanks
Received: 136 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Highball
Favorite Trails: Idyllwild, Bend, Sedona
jimmyj wrote:
Does anyone have any experience running the Hans Dampf Performance tire with the ORC compound in a tubeless setup? Since the bike shop didn't have the tire that I wanted, I decided to try the Hans Dampf. $86 for a tire was more than I wanted to spend so the guy recommended the Performance version. It has a harder compound than the more expensive tubeless ready version and was only $35. Several of the mechanics swore by the tire so I decided to give it a shot. I am using it for a rear tire so I wasn't as concerned about the harder compound.

I am curious how the HD works in a tubeless set up. I have Flow rims and I am hoping that they will work.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

JJ

We got the same recommendation from the guys at bikebling. My son is running them front and rear on mavic 819s with Stans for 3 weeks now. No issues. Just got back from a week in Sedona and hard riding. He did a five foot drop to a semi rocky transition at one point and didn't even burp the tire. (knock on wood). We used 3 cups of Stans BTW.

The following user would like to thank jhardeman for his or her post:
jimmyj
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:30 pm 
Carbon Cabrón
Carbon Cabrón

Given: 366 thanks
Received: 764 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Trance
Favorite Trails: Anything with dirt
I'm runni g the softer Trail Star compound front and rear and loving them.

The issue I've noticed is the back tire will slip just a little every now and then on short steep loose climbs. But so far not enough that's spun a causes me to stop.

So far I love these tires…

The following user would like to thank DWill for his or her post:
jimmyj