Post subject: Road Trippin'
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:40 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Dood or Sloth, whomever done it, the new Road Tripping forum is exactly what I wanted even tho I hadn't asked for it and I haven't seen anyone else ask. And pre-populated with all the past posts! Sooo much easier than searching. Excellent job! A lot of work. Many thanks.

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
 Post subject: Re: Road Trippin'
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:52 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5022 thanks
Received: 5056 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
+1 ^^^ There are enough threads on this board now with so much good information. The new category is genius. :cheers:

-Big Clyde

The following user would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:58 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
Wow! Awesome idea and layout. Thanks to Sloth (I assume) for putting that together.

If I can make a suggestion....what about a northern and central California section for those rides that require a road trip but are in-state?

The following user would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:07 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5022 thanks
Received: 5056 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
It is interesting to see where DTer's go, ride and report back from. Lots from Japan thanks to Mr. Porter. Weird there is only one from Canada. Not weird there are none from Illinois, Iowa... Fred, need to get Belize in there!

-Big Clyde

The following user would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:35 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 34 thanks
Received: 358 thanks
Bike(s): Pivot Mach 5
Favorite Trails: Noble Canyon, Post Canyon
Would it be possible to have the sub forum with the most recent post in it appear at the top of the list? With so many sub forums you really need to look carefully for the newest postings.

Perhaps you can make it so the user can organize the forum by "forum" or "last post" depending on what their preference is.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:44 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 666 thanks
Received: 1790 thanks
Favorite Trails: teh gnar
dennis wrote:
Would it be possible to have the sub forum with the most recent post in it appear at the top of the list?

In the upper right corner, click "View new posts."

The following user would like to thank 406 for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:04 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
dennis wrote:
Would it be possible to have the sub forum with the most recent post in it appear at the top of the list? With so many sub forums you really need to look carefully for the newest postings.

Perhaps you can make it so the user can organize the forum by "forum" or "last post" depending on what their preference is.

The following user would like to thank Red Hot Sloth for his or her post:
Los
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:45 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7335 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
406 wrote:
dennis wrote:
Would it be possible to have the sub forum with the most recent post in it appear at the top of the list?

If you are away for a while its easy to miss a bunch of ride reports for these other areas, when you don't have time to go through 1,000 new posts - they don't show up as new anymore if you have to go through stuff later.

Is there a way that we can have every TR still show up in the TR forum? And then have them still show up in the sub forums? I can see a lot of people not visiting the subforums often and missing out on some good stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:10 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9422 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
Awesome work RHS!

evdog wrote:
406 wrote:
dennis wrote:

If you are away for a while its easy to miss a bunch of ride reports for these other areas, when you don't have time to go through 1,000 new posts - they don't show up as new anymore if you have to go through stuff later.

Is there a way that we can have every TR still show up in the TR forum? And then have them still show up in the sub forums? I can see a lot of people not visiting the subforums often and missing out on some good stuff.

there should be a way for the TRs to float to the top of their parent forum, but that would mean putting all of the TRs in Road Trippin.

The following user would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:30 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 4775 thanks
Received: 2577 thanks
Bike(s): Steel.
Favorite Trails: Porcupine Rim , Sedona .
Great work on that , RHS !!!

It took me hours to go thru all those sweet reports and pics , thanks .

The following user would like to thank Christ D. for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:10 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Ld00d wrote:
there should be a way for the TRs to float to the top of their parent forum, but that would mean putting all of the TRs in Road Trippin.

When I click on the Road Trippin parent forum you get a list of sub-forums, not a list of TRs within them.

I think we should do something. Look at the Utah subforum viewforum.php?f=42, check the number of views for my current trip vs. my trip from November and Barcy's recent trip. After the change there is maybe 100 views, before it was usually 200-300. The forum is not getting smaller, so its clearly harder to find the TR's.

The subforums by location will make it easier to find stuff if you're looking for that specific location, but they don't help for day to day surfing.

Here is my suggestion: make Treader Reports a main forum. Make Road Trippin a subforum within that. We would put all Road Trippin TRs in one common subforum rather than a separate subforum for each location, and instead use tags to identify them, so we could filter the TR's by tags (could use the same ones, AZ, UT etc). This way all those Road trippin TR's show up in one easier to find place. As it is set up now, fewer people are going to click on each subforum to see what they've missed.

The following user would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
dennis
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:56 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 34 thanks
Received: 358 thanks
Bike(s): Pivot Mach 5
Favorite Trails: Noble Canyon, Post Canyon
I think the simplest solution would be to mimic what happens on STR when a thread is moved. The thread title is still in the forum it was originally posted in, but it is prefaced with "moved."

At the time of this posting, there are 3 different "moved" posts in the General Discussion forum at STR. You can go over there to see what I mean.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:59 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

evdog wrote:
Ld00d wrote:
When I click on the Road Trippin parent forum you get a list of sub-forums, not a list of TRs within them.

I see a forum there.

I guess I dont understand the need or I dont understand the want rather. Maybe you can try explaining it to me, in terms I would understand. :D
When I sign on, I have the choice (as does everyone else that signs on) to click "View New Posts". When I do that I see all the posts in order that have been posted since the last time I signed on, a long list, all with yellow page icons to the left of them. (The Yellow Page Icon denotes new posts since your last sign-on, a black dot denotes youve posted in that thread.)
My other choice is to sign on and click, "Board Index", that directs me to the board index, which, on the left of all the forum colums is a page icon. If its yellow, it means there is new content there since the last time I/you/we signed on.... For example..the Road Trippin' page icon was yellow when I signed on...Cool, Ima check out Road Trippin'. Hot Diggity, the Utah forum has a yellow icon, sweet, there must be a cool new TR or a response to a TR in there, I cant wait to read it. Damn, those guys posted some sweet pictures...I hit the Thanks button...because Im stoked to have read another awesome TR.
I dont know, seems pretty easy, unless your thinking of a way people can cruise through and read the TR's easier without needing to sign on to see where the newer TR's are.
I figure its easy enough to sign on. If you want to read through the TRs and check out all the cool pics but dont want people to know your signed on, sign on as hidden.
8)

The following user would like to thank Red Hot Sloth for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:49 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

I did not know about the new-post symbols on the forums, so thanks for that.

The problem I see is, with the forum growing, people won't have time to go thru all the new posts at one time. When you log back later those posts no longer show up as new, so you have to hunt for them. When all TR's were in one forum, it was easy to simply browse down that forum to see what was new. Now there are tons of subforums and lots of people don't have time to go thru them all. There are lots of new forums now besides TR's too. So yeah, I am looking for a way to set it up so its easier to find those posts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:37 am 
Necromonger
Necromonger

evdog wrote:
I did not know about the new-post symbols on the forums, so thanks for that.
The problem I see is, with the forum growing, people won't have time to go thru all the new posts at one time. When you log back later those posts no longer show up as new, so you have to hunt for them.

Unless you click on that new thread within a forum, that New Content Icon will still be yellow at that new thread/post and/or forum, it doesnt change back to blank or white just because you signed on, you actually need to click onto the thread for it to go back to white/blank. Now if you click "Mark Forums Read", thats another story.

The following 2 users would like to thank Red Hot Sloth for his or her post:
evdog, OldDogDan