All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:11 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1101 thanks
Received: 1287 thanks
Bike(s): 2015 Norco Sight
Favorite Trails: Ones with no poison oak
Hey all, there's been an email thread passing around on MTBRides (a local email list hosted on Google Groups). The topic got started when one guy came up with a great idea: how about starting a new Forum site for local San Diego MTBers! Yes, it's a great idea, so much so that a few people (including me) chimed in saying we've already got just that here at DirtTreaders. So even more people chimed in saying they were new to the area, or new to MTB'ing, but searched and searched the Interwebz and never discovered DT. So here's the point of this post: do people here agree that DT is too hard to find for potential new members, and do we want to do anything to make it more visible?

I'm not talking about a marketing campaign or advertising per se, just some simple things like:

• Adding a second (or third) domain name, like SanDiegoDirtTreaders.com, DirtTreadersSanDiego.com, etc. (we'd still keep the existing DirtTreaders.com domain name)
  • Putting some descriptive text on the home page (or on a banner at the top of every page) that mentions that this site is focused on the San Diego MTB scene. Currently there's no mention of San Diego anywhere on the home page.
  • Adding some San Diego references in the HTML Meta tags (you geeks out there will know what this means)
  • Maybe Jeremy could make some stickers that include a San Diego reference, if he's not too busy looking for new bouncy-boobie GIFs for his avatar

I'd like to open this up for discussion. Maybe some of you think we're already big enough, or are happy with the site getting promoted by purely word-of-mouth referrals.

Your thoughts?

The following 4 users would like to thank chuckanado for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, kreechan, moondogg, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:28 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 499 thanks
Received: 1771 thanks
Bike(s): Monocog SS 29er
Favorite Trails: Skinny & dirty
A Google search using "san diego mountain biking" yields ZERO hits on dirttreaders in the first 10 pages of results (where I stopped looking). There must be a way to rectify that. I don't know anything about it, but there are articles that address it such as here. It addresses a couple of the points you make.

Getting one or both of those domains couldn't hurt.

We should definitely try to get the domain "dirtreaders.com" to redirect those who make that common mistake.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:03 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1226 thanks
Received: 854 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Faith. Strider
Favorite Trails: noble, san juan
The way it is now you almost have to be invited to join. This may be a good thing. I was introduced to the site by BIG CLYDE at la costa :cheers: . This may keep the algae from growing on the bottom of the forum.

The following 5 users would like to thank slingshot for his or her post:
24v, badkittyjing, Big Clyde, OldDogDan, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:34 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 184 thanks
Received: 206 thanks
Bike(s): Kona Honzo
Favorite Trails: ALL mountain
slingshot wrote:
The way it is now you almost have to be invited to join. This may be a good thing. I was introduced to the site by BIG CLYDE at la costa :cheers: . This may keep the algae from growing on the bottom of the forum.

I agree. I think it's great that this site is word of mouth. We don't have those annoying pop-up ads like socaltrailriders, and people that find us are almost screened in a sense. Keep the trolls out. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:22 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 587 thanks
Received: 625 thanks
Bike(s): Intense M9
Favorite Trails: Noble, Sycamore, Stonewall
I was recommended by Ozzer who also recommended AndiYeti who also recommended Arkayne. I did feel like I was screened in some way because Ozzer was on this site for a while before even mentioning it to me. Made me feel special.

I think word of mouth is great! The increasing membership count is a testament to DT'rs getting out there and meeting new riders on the trail.

The following user would like to thank noissiM for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:09 pm 
Sticker Shock
Sticker Shock

Given: 1635 thanks
Received: 2676 thanks
Bike(s): 5010
Favorite Trails: Unpaved
I agree with the others. I like the "grassroots" feel of the forum. With too much growth comes headaches. If people ride in San Diego, they will run into a DirtTreader at the trail somewhere. I pass the word to very nearly every mountain biker I meet in person. :thumbsup:

The following 3 users would like to thank 24v for his or her post:
David-K, OldDogDan, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:50 pm 
DT Martyr
DT Martyr

Given: 344 thanks
Received: 194 thanks
Bike(s): It's blue.
Favorite Trails: The ones with dirt.
DT did not start out as an San Diego specific site and, as far as I know, still is not officially San Diego specific.

There are a few of us that don't use this site for the SD-specific content. Panda-specific content, well, that's a different story...

:cheers:

The following 3 users would like to thank katonk for his or her post:
Canaan, Ld00d, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:11 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9422 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
the way it works now, dt needs more links outside of the site. if you want, try cross posting at str and link from there.

The following 4 users would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
24v, badkittyjing, Canaan, Scarbery Rdr
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:51 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1574 thanks
Received: 1653 thanks
Bike(s): Tracer275, Stumpy WC
Favorite Trails: I like single track
Like some others I kinda dig the 'small' feel of DT. Maybe I got lucky; but, I found my way here pretty easily. I was watching STR and MTBR threads for SD specific info, for just a couple of weeks, when I came upon a post directing me here. I try and return the 'favor' and let people know about DT whenever I can (online or face to face).
What would more exposure contribute?
Positively: Increased membership? Membership is already 1000+, maybe 10% post regularly. There'd need to be a large increase in new members to really affect the 'active' numbers.
Negatively: Management issues for the hosts. Increased traffic might lead to increased maintenance costs ---> potential for ads to offset costs. Need for more moderation as spam and trolls increase...

The following user would like to thank ajdonner for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:32 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 851 thanks
Received: 650 thanks
Bike(s): Trance X1, Giant STP, Foes Fly
Favorite Trails: La Costa, Idyllwild
If it aint broke, why fix it? 87% of current DT members were turned on to this site by trail side bs'n(true stat I just made up) If getting out and riding doesn't get more people to this site, maybe we can find someone with the resources that's willing to volunteer a lot of their own time to put together something that let's the masses know what this site is all about and where to find it...... Just an idea. Oh yeah, thanks again for the jersey Sue :cheers:

The following user would like to thank Scarbery Rdr for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:01 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 257 thanks
Received: 428 thanks
Bike(s): Douglas Fusion, Devinci Django
Favorite Trails: your mom*
how about:

DIRTTREADERS.COM
SAN DIEGO

i don't know if increased exposure or traffic is a good thing or not, but i think most of us are pleased that we somehow encountered dirttreaders.com and are happy with how it is. it seems like there is a new introduction post every day or so, so the word is certainly getting around. what does this have to do with anything? nothing. mostly i just like that .gif. i swear she does something different after a couple hours. uh what were we talking about?

The following user would like to thank jabantik for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:42 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
+1 on leave it alone. DT grows steadily as it is. No need to mimic that from which our founders fled.

The following 5 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
24v, Big Clyde, David-K, Jimmy Snooka, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:46 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
I agreed with you Chuck, 2 years ago viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2948
I honestly dont think getting the word out a little better would hurt much. I suffered through 6 months of STR before finding DT. Keeping it word ouf mouth has its benefits though

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:49 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 216 thanks
Received: 79 thanks
Bike(s): GT I-drive 5
Favorite Trails: the ones with minimal climbing
OldDogDan wrote:
+1 on leave it alone. DT grows steadily as it is. No need to mimic that from which our founders fled.

+1.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:32 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 95 thanks
Received: 44 thanks
Bike(s): REIGN1
Favorite Trails: The ones with free shuttles
I guess it could go both ways. Its cool to have it be a word of mouth thing or invite specific, we actually got referred by Chuckonado( in florida canyon) while we were out near Balboa on our first ride there with my brother almost a year ago that was back then when I had my grey fisher (HT).