It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:08 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 407 thanks
Received: 610 thanks
Favorite Trails: 11111
I went to SDMBA forums today for the first time. As I started browsing I realized that almost everyone there used to be a DT'r. Its like someone emerged as a leader during that period of "tumult" a few months back and led a defection. Now I'm butt-hurt that I wasn't good enough to be included. I didn't get the memo. Is it a religious thing? Is it cause i used to be waiting for them at the top with a joint in my mouth? Is it political?

Your thoughts

Last edited by jjthewhale on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:16 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5013 thanks
Received: 5052 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
Count your blessings brother!

-Big Clyde

The following 2 users would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
abzillah, jjthewhale
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:23 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
What the hell, I'll risk the banning...

JJ, do you remember the genesis of this site, and what was going on at the site many of DT's early adopters "came from"? My impression is that cycles take place and, although many didn't ever want to see the excellent site that El Duderino crafted get to a place where it experiences what SoCal Trailriders did, it's happened and for many of the same reasons. That truth is solid, and likely stings the admin and "bro core" that might not even realize they've become exactly what they/others once complained about. And it's a bummer.

This time around, it's the latest iteration of the SDMBA forums that passively benefits from growing pains here. I don't get on the MTB sites as much these days, but I suspect you weren't left behind an "exodus" and that most, if not all, the riders you see posting elsewhere are still "unbanned members" here -- that part is somewhat different than the STR spasms (so far). Riders just looked for someplace with less hate and bile. The forums at MTBR have perked up, too, right?

Just like STR is still jamming along, this place will, too.

:drunk:

The following 4 users would like to thank EBasil for his or her post:
Canaan, Cisco, jjthewhale, OhNooo
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:57 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9364 thanks
Received: 5395 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
We only have 2 actually banned users as far as I can tell, and that's an improvement over STR right?

Seriously though, I started this site with the intention of allowing its users a free voice. That means free to criticize me. That also means free to sling some bile.

I didn't have time to monitor DT on a regular basis, and Pete was injured with nothing but free time, and this site wouldn't exist without him, so it was a natural move to place him as admin. I'm still short on time for rides, but I have the time to monitor DT more regularly these days, and so I talked to Pete and have re-placed myself as the admin of the board.

So please feel free to sling some bile at me as the admin of DT. I won't ban you for that...

As for the SDMBA forums, they have in place a bit of censorship (to put it bluntly), and there are users that want that. I can understand their need for a calm atmosphere. I don't think DT can/should do that. That's not what DT is about. So, if that's what you need, SDMBA's forums is a good place to get that.

Remember at STR when we would completely derail threads with nonsense and Big Lebowski quotes? Those were the good days. Like back in Nam. Khe Sanh. Landock, Hill 364.

The following 10 users would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
abzillah, bajamtnbkr, Brian, Canaan, EBasil, J.A.M., jjthewhale, Kimba, OhNooo, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:31 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 722 thanks
Received: 974 thanks
Bike(s): Stumpy FSR/Mary SS
Favorite Trails: Undecided
jjthewhale wrote:
I went to SDMBA forums today for the first time. As I started browsing I realized that almost everyone there used to be a DT'r. Its like someone emerged as a leader during that period of "tumult" a few months back and led a defection (which would have been a chicken-shit thing to do). Now I'm butt-hurt that I wasn't good enough to be included. I didn't get the memo. Is it a religious thing? Is it cause i used to be waiting for them at the top with a joint in my mouth? Is it political?

Your thoughts

Who says you can't be a member of both sites? Many of them still actively post here. I think it's the false premise of mutual exclusivity that perpetuates this whole "us vs. them" mentality. It's great that they started their own board to talk about advocacy related issues because the way they guilt raped everyone here for not being on the bandwagon became intolerable. And they need a place safe from the poo slinging that makes DT such an entertaining place.

I am still a bit butt hurt though about some of the guys I used to ride with that went "there" and never looked back. No emails, texts, flowers on holidays. I miss them.

But they're just websites, nothing more, nothing less. I say enjoy them both if you like. And tell those guys to call me if you see them :hello:

The following 7 users would like to thank Brian for his or her post:
abzillah, Canaan, jjthewhale, Kimba, Ld00d, OhNooo, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:11 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 407 thanks
Received: 610 thanks
Favorite Trails: 11111
Brian wrote:
I am still a bit butt hurt though about some of the guys I used to ride with that went "there" and never looked back. No emails, texts, flowers on holidays. I miss them.

But they're just websites, nothing more, nothing less. I say enjoy them both if you like. And tell those guys to call me if you see them :hello:

Yeah there were some really cool peeps that defected. Oh well........... :(
I get the feeling its like this:
On DT it's "fuck You" to your face.
On other "gentler" sites its "have a nice day" and when you turn around, a silent middle finger.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:52 am 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
Part of the issue was the "SDMBA knew everything and was not telling us".

The sanitizing of Iron Mountain and the closing and fencing of Lake Calveras were both key in the banter and leaving of a handful of the members.

I posted on the boards that more people need to be involved since, contrary to belief, SDMBA is not everywhere. That and other posts were taken as preaching.

Some felt it was SDMBA's fault that these happened. It was believed and posted that they purposely did not tell us/you to keep it in the dark. From there it quickly generated into name calling and all sorts of crap and bullshit. Some, including Los and Tara (badkitty) did what they could to explain, but folks would have nothing to do with it.

Eventually Los was banned and Tara gave up. When ever she tried to post an event and offer ways to get folks involved she was flamed to death. I think the final point was the Arch. Too many people wanted to ride it with not enough slots for them. It was made a members only ride. That, too, was criticized to death.

I think it is best that, rather than loving one site and hating another, you think of them as the yin and yang of the community. If you want to talk crap, bullshit about your rides, meet up for all sorts of rides, DT exist for that reason. If you want to find out about advocacy, the SDMBA site had crap-loads of it.

For you to feel butt hurt is just stupid. It is not some mass conspiracy to take down DT. Some just got fed up with the antis and moved the conversations off of the board. I do agree that it is too bad the posts are not here but it is what it is.

The following 7 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
abzillah, Canaan, J.A.M., jjthewhale, Ld00d, OhNooo, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:23 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1848 thanks
Received: 2498 thanks
Favorite Trails: 3
It is quite weird, because all of the DT members that left for SDMBA/SDMBA-pro just disappeared off the face of the earth. When they were DT members, I would run into them at Mt. Laguna, PQ, Daily Ranch, La Costa, ect, but I don't see any of them out on the trails. I ride 5-7 times a week, and I ran into kreechen 4 months ago at PQ, and that's about it. Everyone else, I think they ride secretly because all trails in SD are illegal like Wil White said in Redbull Rampage. Likely they don't want to be caught riding illegal trails because they would be putting SDMBA in a bad light.

The following 2 users would like to thank abzillah for his or her post:
24v, jjthewhale
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:08 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5013 thanks
Received: 5052 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
The more this wound gets picked, the tone gets more civil and conciliatory over time, which is a very good thing. Everybody is still riding some dirt somewhere, and beer has never tasted better.

As Brian noted, many of those who left initially now regularly post here, not all but a good number. Some of those who have never looked back will be missed. And since the "schism," the focus of posts is generally more to pure riding. There is also healthy and sharp banter about politics and science which is really unique to this site, a testament to the contributors.

SDMBA's site is more serious and club-oriented. There is content there that is useful. The advocacy stuff is there. It seems to now have a central san diego focus. Lots of talk about wanting a bike park in Balboa Park? I guess I would be stoked if I lived by Balboa Park and wanted to ride in circles in a gated area.

I will say that the censorship on the SDMBA site (almost all of it seems to be taking place on advocacy topics by the way and between SDMBA members/directors) is unfortunate. If you're gonna have a website open to the public and you are puttting yourself out as the voice of mountainbikers in san diego with your hand out for donations, you have to take your licks and deal with it, especially now with all the questions and trail closures. It's sort of like a one way phone where you make calls but never answer them. Hopefully they will change that, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen anytime soon.

Anyway, Adrien don't feel bad, glad to see you posting and hope to see you on the trails soon bud!

-Big Clyde

The following 5 users would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
Brian, jjthewhale, Ld00d, OhNooo, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:36 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
Ld00d, you suk!

....i'll pack my bags

The following 3 users would like to thank jSatch for his or her post:
abzillah, jjthewhale, Ld00d
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:54 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

...seriously, thanks for the site ld00d, and thanks to rhs for maintaining it, and olddogdan for whatever the f' he does.

to me sdmba is the more politically correct site (and a beetch to navigate, big creds to Ld00d here), one where politicos can go see what's up. contrary to popular belief, i know those guys put a lot of time and energy into the sd trails, attending meetings and other boring, non-riding stuff**. the real blame belongs to the awful anti-bike climate fostered by the over the top enviros and their pull in sd politics, along with the legalistic nightmares of the multiple land parcels that our trails cross. or at least that's been my experience. there are many here with personal axes to grind, perhaps. i am fortunate not to be one of them, yet.

but that’s sdmba and this, this is the rowdy bar.

i like the rowdy bar. i don't have to write nice. and slowgrind and i can have at it and still go on a ride.......although maybe not without the protection of full body armor and a gravity knife, but still.

** with the exception of the lcpccac. that soap opera is so entertaining, just wish the networks would run it against honey boo-boo child

Last edited by jSatch on Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The following 7 users would like to thank jSatch for his or her post:
Canaan, Ld00d, luna, mtbgurlSD, OhNooo, OldDogDan, Slowgrind
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:02 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
In addition to the two former members who got a complete-DT ban, some DT'ers who were sympathetic to the SDMBA cause got a partial ban, took the hint, and left on their own accord. Others who got the partial ban are kind of slow on the uptake and still hang around . . . .

The following user would like to thank Canaan for his or her post:
jjthewhale
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:34 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 235 thanks
Received: 317 thanks
Bike(s): 29er and Trail Runners
Favorite Trails: Ones with beer at the end
Has anyone realized that this is the nicest, calmest, non DT like discussion we have ever had on this forum? I wonder, if those defectors were still posting their jibberish, if this thread would be the same.

I guess we found out who the ones that REALLY care about riding, trail access, and tasty cold beverages post ride are (compared those who only ride because they like the feel of spandex and acting like they know everything about everything without doing anything)

Well done DTers. I'm glad the heard has been thinned a bit!

:bang:

The following 2 users would like to thank oldskool for his or her post:
24v, jjthewhale
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:50 pm 
Transplanted Asshole
Transplanted Asshole

Given: 104 thanks
Received: 330 thanks
Bike(s): a pretty blue one
Favorite Trails: VRRT, SJT, Noble, Edge Loop.
jjthewhale wrote:
during that period of "tumult" a few months back

What did I miss while I was gone?

The following user would like to thank Mike G for his or her post:
jjthewhale
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:54 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed