Post subject: Aussie Soul
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:04 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23231 thanks
Received: 17285 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
I took a cousin from Australia out to Calavera yesterday. I think of him as a kid still, although he's a twenty-eight year old world-traveling vagabond. I knew that some years back he lived and rode in Adelaide, where he and his mates would shuttle their forty pound DH sleds up the mountain on the train, and ride back down for pints. He hadn't ridden in a really long time, but jumped at the chance. He's two inches taller than me, but about the same weight, so I was able to throw together two of everything except shoes, but he had a pair of boots. He was relieved my brakes are moto-style, like in Australia. I offered my somewhat newer bike, but he hopped on my old Epic. I really enjoy showing folks around the local trails, even though I have to lead from the back, telling people where to wait for me on top of hills. Ben is very fit, and stood up and charged right up hill after hill, although he was handicapped on loose steeps by the narrow tires and Brain(less) short travel suspension. And of course on downhills, handicapped even more by the bike, unfamiliar trails, and rusty skills, which allowed me the rare opportunity for a minor sandbag. You all know how painfully slow I am up those hills...so I took him down the berms & jumps trail from the pad because I knew he'd love it, which he did. I was thankful all those jumps have go-arounds, and that I was selfishly on the better bike.
Afterwards:
Ben: "I hope I'm still riding like that when I'm sixty-two. Were you pedaling going downhill?!"
Me: "Hell yeah!"
It was hot out, but we really had fun, and it was great to share the trails with him, which I think qualifies it as a soul ride.

The following 11 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
325racer, ajdonner, avidtest, Big Clyde, Canaan, Dirt Mogul, Dirtrider, gabriel keating, Kimba, Ld00d, Ray Dolor