All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:48 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17283 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Today was the autumnal equinox, so to celebrate I took a short local ride in the heat of the day, since it was really pretty nice out. I don't like to ride with music, but sometimes a song will enter my head anyway. There were three today:

"Soul Sacrifice" by Santana.
Decided to put a little in my ride, so I went here.
I hadn't put tire tracks on this section of fireroad in years. I've never seen it included in a group ride. I hiked it a few weeks ago, and there were zero tire tracks. I know some masochists probably ride it, but it is not a fun choice. There are better ways to the top of the hill, and better ways down. It is steep with lousy traction. But, you know, I just wanted to check it out...so I went down it twice, and up it once. Taking the better singletrack to the top of the hill, the weather did not seem as nice after all... kinda hot. Took off down it... zero tracks again...and it was over like that. Waaay too brief for the work it took to get up there. A couple of speed rush moments alternated by hard braking for the rougher sections. And there's not a lot of runout to that steel gate across the bottom...

"Quarter of A Man" by El Rayo-X
As I pedaled away towards better trails, I thought, "well hell, you have to at least try climbing it", and turned around. I've been feeling a little stronger lately. But nowhere strong enough! I had to break it into sections to recover, putting one foot down to gasp a while...thus this song popped into my head at the third rest. Frankly, I was quite pleased to restart cleanly each time and never completely break traction, grinding away perched on the pointy end of the saddle. Turned around and flew down again, and really could not manage a better job the second time; too reluctant to really fly over the ruts with such poor traction. At least I did a smoother transition into the gate go-around.

"She Took Off My Romeos" by El Rayo-X
Headed over and then back uphill, so I could finish off with a downhill run on a trail that is all fun, just like this song. And it WAS all fun.

The following 8 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
avidtest, Belizean, Big Clyde, Canaan, Ld00d, Lost One 2, parker2011, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:54 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 184 thanks
Received: 195 thanks
Favorite Trails: south of heaven
keep the spirit free..

The following user would like to thank parker2011 for his or her post:
OldDogDan