Post subject: The Maunawili Trail
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:52 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 12 thanks
Received: 954 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 6.6 / Spider
Favorite Trails: Palm Canyon
This past Saturday was the last day on my Hawaii business trip and I was able to carve out some time on Saturday morning for a ride. The destination was the Maunawili Trail on the windward side (east) of the island. I got an early enough start that I had to casually get ready at the trailhead while waiting for daylight to join me at the rally point.

The Maunawili trail is a 10 mile singletrack that countours along the foothills above the Maunawili Valley and near the striking cliff bases of the Ko'olau Mountains. All of the descriptions of this trail I have found recommeneded it as a point-to-point from the north end near the Pali Lookout and going south down to the community of Waimanalo. There was only about 1,000 feet of elevation between the high and low points so that even accounting for some undulations in the trail it should not be too bad as an out-and-back. The sun did not make a majestic entrance when I started out from Waimanalo. It was quite cloudy when I set off on the double track climb that would take me up to the start of the trail proper.

The doubletrack was not horrible, but the singletrack was downright awesome pretty much right from the get go. Sweet narrow goodness etchned into steep hillsides was the theme most the time. While most of the trail tread is smooth, there are numerous rooty and rocky section to keep your technical skills on point.

The trail when in and out of numerous foothill fingers and while the cloudy morning was putting a damper on the full beauty of this place it was still impressive. The promenance of the cliffs often made me feel downright small.

The beauty of this trail really did a good job of hiding the danger of the steep hillside that was often less than a foot off the trail thread. If this was a barren desert trail, it would be easy to get wigged out about some of the exposure. Mother Nature added to the deception and danger of some of these spots with ferns that grow in from the high side of the trail. I preferred having my faced brushed by ferns over finding a weak spot on the downhill edge of the trail.

The flora on this trail was simply incredible. I only knew what a few of the types I saw where. Later on I found out that I had been cruising under cool stuff like mango trees, pink guava, a plethorea of ferns, and a bunch of native plants that contained way too many vowels for me to pronounce.

As I started nearing the north end of the trail, there was more signs of use and well as trail maintenance. In some of the wet spots a few boardwalks had been installed to help the trail and habitat keep from getting thrashed. At this point one thing was for sure, this trail is uphill in both directions. It took me a lot longer than expected to cover the 10 miles and reach the north end of the trail at Pali highway. The plan was enjoy the trail in other direction, but I did not have enough time now as I had after lunch work committments. With a great deal of reluctance, I played grown up and dropped off the mountain on the road and speedily made my way back to my car. The work went well, but I did have to burn some "lamp oil" to polish everything off. One thing is for certain, this will not be my last ride on this trail. I'm already looking forward to a sunny day return...someday.

The following 16 users would like to thank MTBBill for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, bankerboy, Brian, Canaan, eddiex619, evdog, jabantik, moondogg, OldDogDan, quiksilver_ben3, Ratigan, Red Hot Sloth, singletrackmitch, tfitz, wirk242, 406
 Post subject: Re: The Maunawili Trail
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:46 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 82 thanks
Received: 27 thanks
Bike(s): Trek Fuel EX8
Favorite Trails: Any
That place looks awesome, thanks for sharing.

:cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:17 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7321 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
Gorgeous trail Bill. I can feel the humidity from here 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:17 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 442 thanks
Received: 2590 thanks
Bike(s): RIP9, Nomad
Favorite Trails: Backcountry
Thanks. I can bet those trails take some maintenance to keep the vegatation at bay.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:23 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
While the pictures are beautiful, I have to say I am disappointed there are no shots of you coming down the trail. I have come to expect only the best from you Bill! lol just kidding. Great stuff like always!

Last edited by Los on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:47 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5013 thanks
Received: 5052 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
Nice TR and pics Bill. That shot of the singletrack descent in Picture #2 is awesome.

-Big Clyde

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:20 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7321 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
careful, or you'll be stuck home babysitting while she's out riding!