All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:25 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 12 thanks
Received: 954 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 6.6 / Spider
Favorite Trails: Palm Canyon
It has been raining almost solid for the previous two days which will basically make the trails way to slick here in Japan until early next week. When I say slick, I mean like butter on a tile floor slick. While my playtime this weekend is going to be off the trails, earlier this week I got out to one the "local" loops, Ogusuyama (aka Mt Ogusu). Like most of the riding I have done over here there is a bit of street riding involved to get there. I enjoy these street rides as I always see something culturally interesting.

On this cruise to the trails while on one of the many tiny side streets, I passed by an onion stand that caught my eye. This stand was totally unattended and there was not even a window of a home within in sight. It was totally on the honor system. There was not even a one-way coin box. Just pick out your onion and drop your 100 yen (About $1) in the box. If you need to, make change. I think this one little stand says a lot about the values and culture of rural Japan.

The last little bit of pavement passes by a really thick and sizable patch of bamboo that always real cool to look into. The canopy is so thick that I have never seen direct sunlight on the ground here.

Once on the trail, the light drizzle from the day before had left some slippery spots on the trail.

I rode this area back in Decemember, but did not hit up all of the trails. I made a point to hit up the trails I had missed last time. Ogusuyama is the highest peak on the Muira Pennisula and the trail I took drops down to far side of the pennisula from Yokosuka.

I have no idea what actual name of the trail I took is but most of my friends have have just referred to it as Trail 3. This trail was really fun as it had great flow and cashed out the elevation in a way that allowed you to carry plenty of speed in most sections.

This is one really cool trail marker.

Once down the on the other side of the pennisula I did a bit of riding along the streets before picking a dirt access/fire road to head back up the mountain. While there were some steep pitches on the climb overall it was not brutal. I have certainly climbed plenty of uglier fireroads.

Once back up on the top of the mountain, I decided to a take a path less traveled. While I noticed this faint trail heading off in the bush before, I had never ventured onto it. Today I gave it a shot as I had a decent idea of where it should go. I was riding solo in foriegn country on a lightly used and new to me trail. Throw in the fact I have an extremely rudimentry knowlege of the language at best and you should see why I felt so alive with healthy dose of excitement coupled with just a dash of anxiety.

The trail ended up coming out pretty close to where I expected it and I enjoyed the stroll back to the apartment. It was another good day to ride a bike.

The following 10 users would like to thank MTBBill for his or her post:
badkittyjing, bajamtnbkr, Big Clyde, Canaan, katonk, kevmortensen, Ld00d, moondogg, Red Hot Sloth, TCB
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:40 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
The honor system onion stand reminds me of a fruit stand I saw on the road to Hana. Thanks for your posts, especially from exotic lands.