All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:13 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 12 thanks
Received: 954 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 6.6 / Spider
Favorite Trails: Palm Canyon
I arrived in Japan last Saturday for a handfull of weeks worth of work in Yokosuka. The travel schedule to get here is a tough one as your internal clock is totally thrown out of wack. I spent most of the week just stuggling through the day and having a tough time sleeping at night. It took until Thursday for my "body clock" to get adjusted. Finally getting some rest was a good thing as I was looking forward to getting onto some single track this weekend. I shipped my 6.6 here vice putting it on the plane so I would not have lug the cumbersome box on the trains to get to Yokosuka from the Tokyo airport.

My bike had not arrived on Friday so I rented a hardtail. One of my friends and his wife had just purchased a new home and invited me over to check it out. I declined on having them pick me up at my hotel. Instead I opted to have a nice cruise along the streets which I had nearly forgotten what a cultural experience you can have along the streets of a foreign country. I had a nice time visiting and catching up on things with my friends. Afterwards, I had a really cool late night cruise back to the hotel.

The following morning it was time to get onto some dirt. I had not been on the trails between Zushi and Kamakura since 2004 and I was looking forward to it. It takes a quite a bit of riding along the streets from Yokosuka to get to the trailhead, but like last night riding along the streets is an experience all to it's own. I had barely started on my way when there was a bunch of of activity going on over the roses at Verny Park.

It had been a long enough since I was last here that there were spots where I was unsure if I was going the right way or not. Every time I would start to get concerned about my route I would see something that would jog my memory. I love riding when you are route finding or someplace new as your senses seem to elevate just a little. While this route was more about rediscovery, it was extremely fun just getting to the trailhead.

Once I got to the trailhead, it was time to get some hike-a-bike on. Like many of the trails in this area, there are some steepness to be dealt with. The opening trail up onto the ridgelines was every bit as steep as I had remembered. I did not count them but I'm guessing there are at least 100 wood log steps that got the calves burning in no time flat.

Once up onto the ridge the trails flowed and swooped gracefully through the trees. Most times there were fairly buff in nature but there were numerous section of roots and rocks to test your skills. I rode here many times in 2004 and this ride was like catching up with an old friend.

I forget the Japanese name for this section of trail but I believe it loosely translates to "Roots of Death"

I like the way this signs bridges the language barrier. :)

Visually this is one of my favorite sections of trail out here as it passes by one of the numerous temples in the area. Nearby Kamakura is steeped in deep history and many of the trails are centuries old. I played on the trails here until I late in the afternoon and then enjoyed the street cruising back to Yokosuka. I finished the evening off with a tasty plate of curry from a tiny mom-and-pop resturant that I was turned onto during my last visit here. It was not a bad day to have a bike :)

The following 14 users would like to thank MTBBill for his or her post:
02bullit, badkittyjing, bajamtnbkr, Big Clyde, dirtmonger, Dustin, GP_pilot, katonk, Kimba, Los, OldDogDan, Red Hot Sloth, Robo, TCB
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:41 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 324 thanks
Received: 334 thanks
Bike(s): Niner RIP 9 / Intense SS
Favorite Trails: any
Awesome TR. Makes me wish I had a bike when I was there. Was is Yokosuka doing a crew swap when I was in the Navy. Was there for a month or so. Beautiful trails.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:45 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 249 thanks
Received: 694 thanks
Bike(s): S-Works 29er Niner Air9 Masi
Favorite Trails: All of them
I spent 2 years riding in Japan and still think about it all the time. It was a beautiful enchanting place to ride and live.

Help support the NSW Flyin' Frogs, Phoenix Patriot Foundation and save 10% off your order simply by entering PPF as the discount code at http://www.infinitnutrition.us/. Another 10% will be donated back to PPF.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:24 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 173 thanks
Received: 240 thanks
That rooty section looks tough as not all of the roots are perpendicular to your tires. It's so easy to go OTB in that stuff.

Kamakura is an awesome place and kind of reminds me of a Japanese La Jolla for some reason. Thanks for the TR.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:19 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 453 thanks
Received: 548 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis Ripley
Favorite Trails: Actual Singletrack
That's cool that the trail is so close to the city. My only experience in Japan is a week in Tokyo, so my memories of the place are very urban. Wish I could have gotten out to see the countryside a bit.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:15 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23229 thanks
Received: 17284 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Nice photos Bill, as always. I visited Kamakura on a day trip from Tokyo once in 1987 after an expedition to Nepal, and then in 1995 when I was in Yokosuka for two weeks installing some equipment at the JVC factory. The second time I made sure to get some time in hiking those trails.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:36 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1013 thanks
Received: 1233 thanks
Favorite Trails: The one I'm riding today.
Awesome TR!!!! Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:51 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 666 thanks
Received: 1790 thanks
Favorite Trails: teh gnar
nice tr.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:44 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 139 thanks
Received: 214 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Trance X
Favorite Trails: are the ones that are dirty!
loving the the green! Thanks for the Post

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:08 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 223 thanks
Received: 848 thanks
Bike(s): IH 6.6 & Sunday,Giant XTC
Favorite Trails: Any ST with nice flow.
Thanks Bill for sharing looks sweet.