Post subject: Crested Butte!!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:55 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
Just returned (to Durango) from 4 days of riding with Chasing Epic MTB tours in Crested Butte. We rode all over the lower trails system (Lupine, Lower Loop, Snodgrass) on day one to get acclimated to the elevation. Over the next few days, we rode Teocalli Ridge, The Strand and the 401 Trail which were all beyond amazing. However, that climb up Teocalli is nearly impossible to even ride the majority of it unless you're Superman. Only our main guide was able to ride it. One day we were chased out of the mountains by an approaching storm and went down to ride Hartman Rocks in Gunnison. Kind of a combo of St George, Fruita and Grand Junction. Super, super fun and even though there were 10X the cars in the parking lot than you would ever see at Calavera, all the trails were in great shape without a bunch of blown out corners. Why, because the people there actually know how to ride and don't need to skid around every corner or before every terrain feature.

The town of Crested Butte itself is very cool as well. An old mining town that has retained his character and hasn't gone totally snobby like Park City. As part of the tour, we stayed in the best accommodations I've ever stayed in on a tour and instead of guides making food trailside, we wen t in to town and were able to order whatever we wanted off the menus at the restaurants. Everything was very well run. You could bring your own bike though I'm the only one that did. Everybody else was supplied a bike by Chasing Epic and he has nothing by high end BMC and IBIS bikes with the best components.

The area itself was stunning as well. I prefer mountain & forest riding but always tell people that Sedona is the most beautiful place I've ridden. Crested Butte may have changed that. You just need to be in the best shape possible due to the elevation and climbing involved. I thought I was pretty close but was humbled by Teocalli on day two. Out of (8) riders on the tour, I was 6th in line on the big climbs and only ahead of (2) guys from Austin, Texas who have no mountains. I saved my pride by leading the charge on the most of the downhills. As usual, I have some pictures but can never figure out how re-size and post them. Many won't agree but it would be much easier if Dirt Treaders was turned into a private Facebook site like most other MTB groups.

The following 3 users would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
avidtest, Big Clyde, OldDogDan
 Post subject: Re: Crested Butte!!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:34 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17283 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
k2rider wrote:
... As usual, I have some pictures but can never figure out how re-size and post them. Many won't agree but it would be much easier if Dirt Treaders was turned into a private Facebook site like most other MTB groups.

Thanks for the TR! Yeah, I don't agree, because a forum keeps things way better organized if you want to find something later. Are you taking pictures on a phone or with a camera? If a phone, what kind? Should be really easy to post directly from a phone using the "full editor" button option in your post or reply.

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Big Clyde
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:24 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7321 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
It ain't rocket science. 1) Get Flickr acct. or other hosting site 2) Upload pics 3) post img links to DT. Or, load em all up to Google photos and post a link to the album here.

As for Facebook, just say no... and not just because FB sucks. Lots of people may have moved away from forums but they are still great open communities where you can meet other riders. How do you meet new people on a private FB group? Most of the people I ride with I met on DT and other forums.

The following user would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:33 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
Well, some things aren't rocket science to you doesn't mean they aren't for others. My nephew can break down his Dodge diesel engine and put it back together w/o ever touching a manual or looking at the internet. I can't do that either. I just know it's super easy to post a picture on Pinkbike, MTBR or FB w/o having to re-size or jump thru hoops.

As far as meeting people thru websites or FB "club" sites, it's a push and just depends on effort. I've met more thru FB and then MTBR. The PMBA (Prescott MTB IMBA group) Facebook page is fantastic. Iff you can jump thru all the steps to post a photo of DT, you can have a FB account. It's not scary and you don't have to go all in. You can choose what you want to see or not see. But whatever, it's also not hard for me to look at multiple MTB sites so I'll keep at it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:33 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9364 thanks
Received: 5395 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
I'm working on new forum software, but it's hard to find the time.

I feel your pain...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:54 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7321 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
k2rider wrote:
I just know it's super easy to post a picture on Pinkbike, MTBR or FB w/o having to re-size or jump thru hoops.

OK... so post them on MTBR or PB and post a link here. I dare ya...!

As for FB - it is not for me. Not a matter of can or can't, I'm just not interested in that sort of social media.

The following user would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
J.A.M.