Post subject: Buffalo Creek, CO
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:11 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 75 thanks
Received: 70 thanks
Bike(s): 2017 Specialized Enduro
Favorite Trails: Fast and steep
I was in the Denver area for work this week and took advantage of some free time by going for a ride. After doing some research, I decided on renting a bike from Golden Bike shop in Golden and riding Buffalo Creek trail system. Buffalo Creek trail system is about an hour southwest of Denver and is rated by IMBA as an epic ride, they got this one right.

This was my first time riding a 29er. Golden Bike shop hooked me up with this carbon Santa Cruz Tallboy and also helped me plan my route. If you are in the Denver area and need to rent a bike, I highly recommend GBS.

My ride started at the Buffalo Creek trailhead down a fireroad. A quick dip onto Sandy Wash trail provided some fun singletrack through the pines and led back onto the fireroad down to Shinglemill trail. The whole trail system is mostly DG and if you like riding San Juan you will like the dirt here.

The climb up Shinglemill trail had me changing gears a lot with fun, flowy ups and downs. The landscape here is wild. This area was completely burnt in a fire in 1996 and the trees never grew back, but burnt stumps and fallen trees are everywhere.

Shinglemill trail tops out at the Colorado Trail. Here you dive right back into the pine forest for a real roller coaster ride that goes on for many miles.

This part of the Colorado Trail was the beginning of one of the fastest and most fun descents I have ever been on. I didn't think it was possible to do the things I was doing with a 29er, but with the kind of speed I had and the kind of flow the trail offered, the possibilities were endless.

I took Redskin Creek trail from the Colorado Trail and linked it up to Gashouse Gultch trail heading north. This part of the ride was the least fun, but still provided clean, tight singletrack through cool pine forest.

The final part of the ride was down Charlie's Cutoff back to Sandy Wash. This part was fast and downhill with lots of areas where the trail went directly over rock outcrops and boulders, or had diversions that allowed you to play around on the rock before getting back on the trail.

Looking back near the end of Sandy Wash. After about 27 miles and 3 hours of riding, my face hurt more from smiling than my legs did from riding.

After returning the bike to GBS I stopped at a must visit destination while in Golden; Golden City Brewery. With the Coors brewery right down the road, GCB has an awesome slogan to match their awesome beers, "Second Largest Brewery in Golden".

The following 12 users would like to thank nteague1 for his or her post:
abzillah, b5driver, Belizean, Dirtrider, FatPossum, K2Brandon, Kimba, oldskool, Red Hot Sloth, rob240z, tfitz, Timskalabim
 Post subject: Re: Buffalo Creek, CO
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:09 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 235 thanks
Received: 317 thanks
Bike(s): 29er and Trail Runners
Favorite Trails: Ones with beer at the end
Those trails look AWESOME! Skinny and smooth

:bang:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:27 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17284 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Nice TR.

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
nteague1
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:55 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10484 thanks
Received: 7541 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
Fantastic trails. Glad you had fun

Mike

The following user would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
nteague1
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:21 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1564 thanks
Received: 1639 thanks
Bike(s): Tracer275, Stumpy WC
Favorite Trails: I like single track
Good stuff. It's BUFFalo Creek. Those trails are like the love child of lower SJT and BLT. Miles and miles of XC fun. Did you check out Black Jack-the newer AM style trail out near Charlies? They were just starting to build it when I left CO so I never got a chance to check it out.

Tangent: Some friends and I were hanging out after a big ride one time drinking some beers at the Pine Valley TH (north side of Buff Creek) when this black, blinged out ford excursion rolls in to the parking lot at a good clip, it suddenly slows as it approaches, rear window rolls down and a kid leans out cape, wand and all and casts some sort of Harry Potter spell on us. Window rolls up and the SUV hauls ass out of the parking lot. 30+ miles, the instant buzz of a beer coupled with the awesome parental aiding and abetting of the kids shenanigans had us all crying we were laughing so hard.

Thanx for bringing back some good memories.

The following 2 users would like to thank ajdonner for his or her post:
nteague1, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:47 am 
Participant
Participant

ajdonner wrote:
Good stuff. It's BUFFalo Creek. Those trails are like the love child of lower SJT and BLT. Miles and miles of XC fun. Did you check out Black Jack-the newer AM style trail out near Charlies? They were just starting to build it when I left CO so I never got a chance to check it out.

Tangent: Some friends and I were hanging out after a big ride one time drinking some beers at the Pine Valley TH (north side of Buff Creek) when this black, blinged out ford excursion rolls in to the parking lot at a good clip, it suddenly slows as it approaches, rear window rolls down and a kid leans out cape, wand and all and casts some sort of Harry Potter spell on us. Window rolls up and the SUV hauls ass out of the parking lot. 30+ miles, the instant buzz of a beer coupled with the awesome parental aiding and abetting of the kids shenanigans had us all crying we were laughing so hard.

Thanx for bringing back some good memories.

I didn't check out the Black-Jack trail because by that point I was pretty worked and I was a little worried about where I parked my rental car and was kinda in a hurry to get back to make sure it was still there. Car was all good and I wish I would have taken the detour to check that part out.

Love the Harry Potter story. Did anything come of the spell?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:40 pm 
Man of Liesure
Man of Liesure

Given: 4060 thanks
Received: 1942 thanks
Bike(s): Stumpjumper 29er
Favorite Trails: Calavera,Chaa Creek Bze
Very nice!! Ya think that handlebar could be a little wider? :D Did turning seem sliggish on that bike?

The following user would like to thank Belizean for his or her post:
nteague1
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:37 am 
Participant
Participant

Belizean wrote:
Very nice!! Ya think that handlebar could be a little wider? :D Did turning seem sliggish on that bike?

Turning was anything but sluggish on that bike. And it was so light that you could whip the back end around on almost any turn. I was pleasantly surprised.

The following user would like to thank nteague1 for his or her post:
Belizean