It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:54 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 168 thanks
Received: 306 thanks
Bike(s): Gary Fisher Tassajara
I flew out to Colorado to visit a friend in Loveland. I put my bike in a cardboard box I got from Adams Avenue Bicycles with the intention of riding everyday.

Within hours after landing in Denver, I was in Full Cycles, on the Hill, in Boulder, CO. I asked for a ride recommendation.

"You should check out our bike park. It's a new 40 acre facility."

I managed to get a 3+ hour session in there a couple of days later. I was on an XC bike, which is not ideal, but I had to run what I brung.

I rode every section of the park that was to the left of the irrigation ditch:

Valmont Bikepark Info Sign by bermdog, on Flickr

All of the features in the park are rated: XS, S, M, L, XL. I never rode anything above M.

I found the Creekside Pump Track easy to get started on, but I nearly folded it up a couple of times in the tighter berm.

Creekside Pump Track by bermdog, on Flickr

I managed to cleanly hit the XS dirt jump set, but never made the turn at the end at speed. It seems pretty tight, or not banked correctly.

The S dirt jump set is a roller, small table, bigger roller, to a step-up. I never managed to get the timing correct to clear the table, but if I rolled the first roller and the table, I could get air off the final roller, and get my front wheel on top of the step up, but my rear wheel would always clumsy bash the front side of the step up. I need better technique, and a less awkward bike. The great thing about the park is everything is rollable, so not clearing an obstacle is safe.

Dirt Jumps by bermdog, on Flickr

There was some singletrack that I rode in the park, with one notable section. An option coming down is called "The Corkscrew," which is a very twisty trail with big berms and rollers. If you spent some time dialing in the course, there would be potential for really high speeds and air, but I kept it on the ground.

The Mesa Top Pump Track is much larger than the Creekside Pump Track. At first I did not like it as much because it seemed harder to get speed. I started learning the turns and the rhythm, and I liked it more. I was able to roll in, pump the track, take the line that allows you to do a u-turn at the "end" of the track, and pump my way all the back to the roll in spot, and roll out.

On some of the lines I was trying, I would still hit the seat when I was trying to suck up the bike to absorb a bump to pump. My seat was down as far as I could get it. I need a less awkward bike.

Next to the Mesa Top Pump Track is the roll in spot for the Dual Slalom Course, and the L and XL drop in of the Slopestyle Course. The DS Course, rated M, had the biggest features that I rode. It had inner and outer courses, and places where you could switch sides. It featured several rollable doubles, both step ups and step downs, which were more like tabletops with a small dent in the middle. I rolled all of the mid course doubles because they usually were followed by a turn, but I did manage to clear the final tabletop on the course.

Slalom has Right of Way by bermdog, on Flickr

Finally, I rode the S line of the Slopestyle course. Even though it is rated S and started lower than the L or XL lines, you still get going pretty fast. If you just want to roll everything to check out the course, you have to brake to keep your speed down. If you just let yourself roll, you are going to be in the air. I rode down a couple of times, and I often ended up in the air on accident. This is where the awkwardness of my bike was the most noticeable. A couple of times I was wrong in the air and landed awkwardly, but I always managed in ride it out, and I successfully escaped Boulder without crashing.

Slopestyle Course by bermdog, on Flickr

This park was awesome. It is a great example of what a public facility should be. Built with help from donors, supported by the city, free to use for everybody. It had a good vibe, too. I saw every kind of rider there: little kids on bikes without pedals, cyclocross racers, xc riders, and bros going big. I even saw a couple of mountain boarders.

Untitled by bermdog, on Flickr

The following 15 users would like to thank OffRoadie for his or her post:
avidtest, badkittyjing, Brian, Canaan, Christ D., gabriel keating, Kimba, MiLo, Mudd, noissiM, OldDogDan, PaulChavez, random walk, singletrackmitch, Stu
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:57 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 101 thanks
Received: 562 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz NomadC & V10c
Favorite Trails: Your mom's happy-trail!
Wow, that looks awesome. We sooooooooooooooo need that here!! Thanks for the pics & report! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:51 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1848 thanks
Received: 2498 thanks
Favorite Trails: 3
I wanted to see the road biker take some jumps, what a let down. :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:50 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 162 thanks
Received: 116 thanks
Bike(s): Chameleon and Reign X
Favorite Trails: Skeggs, Noble, LPQ, Waterdog
That place looks AWESOME!!!!!! Leaves me salivating and wanting to fight all the harder to lock in a bike park in SD!!!!! That one seems to have the most options and better designed ones I have seen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:27 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1644 thanks
Received: 1322 thanks
Bike(s): Knolly Endo, Canfield Jedi
Favorite Trails: DH Trails
McLovin wrote:
Wow, that looks awesome. We sooooooooooooooo need that here!! Thanks for the pics & report! :thumbsup:

There are people working on it! How fast they get there depends on the support they get. I want this so freaking bad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:28 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 87 thanks
Received: 173 thanks
Bike(s): Mach 4, Firebird, 7p7, Phx
Favorite Trails: Noble, Mammoth, Trestle BP
You guys like this park? You want to see one of these in San Diego?

Are you ACTUALLY willing to do some work to get it??? (and not just digging?)

If so, and you're really serious there are two things you can do RIGHT NOW:

1. Join SDMBA - Half of your membership goes to the SD bike park fund. www.sdmba.com

2. PM me and tell me a little about what you want to do or think you can do. The PRO group of SDMBA (which I am a member) is putting together a very detailed business plan to propose an awesome park be built in Balboa Park near the velodrome. We are meeting with Environmental Services and the Parks n Rec department in the next few weeks.

We need a professional graphic artist, we need some people to do research on available grants, we need people that have marketing skills, we need people to go out and spread the word and get the biking community behind this...but mostly WE NEED PEOPLE to volunteer, become a member of SDMBA and step up to get this done!

Ok, sorry to hijack this thread. Awesome pics of an awesome park. Can't wait till we have one like it to go ride!

The following 2 users would like to thank mtbgurlSD for his or her post:
beatleginna, Los
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:12 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1644 thanks
Received: 1322 thanks
Bike(s): Knolly Endo, Canfield Jedi
Favorite Trails: DH Trails
Actually go to this link: SDMBA PRO Bikepark Membership
Attachment:
membership.JPG
membership.JPG [ 62.97 KiB | Viewed 16164 times ]

(edited to put the correct link. :oops: )

Last edited by badkittyjing on Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following 2 users would like to thank badkittyjing for his or her post:
beatleginna, Los
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:15 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 252 thanks
Bike(s): Chumba XCL, Tassajara
Favorite Trails: La Costa
badkittyjing wrote:
Actually go to this link: SDMBA PRO Bikepark Membership

Link is bad, goes to expired PayPal session.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:24 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 87 thanks
Received: 173 thanks
Bike(s): Mach 4, Firebird, 7p7, Phx
Favorite Trails: Noble, Mammoth, Trestle BP
Here, try this one: http://www.sdmba.com/site/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=33

Go down to the SDMBA-PRO membership and click on buy now!