All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:51 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 131 thanks
Received: 392 thanks
Bike(s): K2 Zed 4.0
Favorite Trails: San Juan, Caleveras, Nobel
Ok none of my friends are ever interested in riding this trail and in their defense it sucks a** so I dont blame them a bit! It is a consistent and steep grade all the way up. there are NO downhills on the way up and no uphills on the way down. it is poorly maintained firetrail and it is very hot. It is 11 miles (I think) to get to the campground. It keeps going after that for another 8 miles to the real top and then if you had a ride, one could descend down the other side of the mountain. I made it to the 11 mile mark (many breaks etc) and it was not easy and took most of the day. I want to try and make it all the way to the very top (the extra 8+miles) one day which would require hitting the trail just before dawn, packing mad food and water (u can refill water at the campground). Why, you ask would I want to do this when it isnt even fun singletrack...when I may be able to get the same workout doing Nobel 2x in a row or something? the answer is I dont know. i just don't know. Prestige of completing the most difficult climb in san diego county I suppose. I am lookig for crazies like me to hit the trail at like 5:30 am and maybe my girlfriend or someone can pick us up on the other side. no date in mind. I am just trying to find another weirdo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:55 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9422 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
I've been wanting to try it, but I'll wait 'till it's cooler. There's some interesting history about the man Nate Harrison.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:08 am 
Bajacabra
Bajacabra

Given: 7412 thanks
Received: 7175 thanks
Bike(s): Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: SART, Thounder Mtn,Sweetwater
Where is this climb? It sounds interesting, I might want to do it but need more info if you have any link and if you don't mind a slow climber. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:14 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

bajamtnbkr wrote:
Where is this climb? It sounds interesting, I might want to do it but need more info if you have any link and if you don't mind a slow climber. :mrgreen:

once again, bill comes through: http://www.mountainbikebill.com/NateHarrisonGrade.htm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:22 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

I don't mind a slow climber as long a you can last all day. It will probably be a sunrise to sunset ride (even a half hour before sunrise and maybe half hour after sunset). Dont worry, we will take lots of breaks but you should be in your peak shape. We will need to bring much food and we will need to carb load for a few days before the ride. I can wait till its cooler also. It will not be fun. Do not expect fun. Expect pain, lots of pain but an serious adventure!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:35 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 407 thanks
Received: 610 thanks
Favorite Trails: 11111
OH Geez, I was about to go in on it but...........LOL

Does sound interesting, Hmmmmmmmmm.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:36 am 
Bajacabra
Bajacabra

I should had look it up first ha! Ha! I'm in but it has to be on a much cooler day than when I climbed Otay Mountain last week.
BTW I think a Saturday will work better for me but it doesn't have to be.
I think ld00d is going to like this ride a lot. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:47 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Yeah, a cool day would be best, even for me. i will take the same attitude as a Rabbi when someone wants to convert to Judaism (which I learned from an episode of Different Strokes when Arnold wanted to convert so he could have a Barmitzvah) which is I will try to talk them out of it three times and if after that they still want to become a Jew...climb the Nate Grade...then they really want to do it. When Ldood wanted to try mtn biking, I tried to talk him out of it three times. I was all: You wouldnt like it, pedalig up hills sucks...and theres so much cleaning and maintenence...you need to already be into pain before you get a mtn bike. He stood strong and became a Jew..I mean mtn biker. Nobel Canyon will be his Barmitzvah. But as far as you other two, just think about it. Either day will be fine for this painful and boring ride.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:14 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

I hate myself enough to give it a shot.
I don't hate myself enough to do it during the summer.

The following user would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:27 pm 
Bajacabra
Bajacabra

There are some more pictures of the climb here:
http://www.mountainbikebill.com/blog/?m=200804

But he only describes the first 11.1 miles to the top but you mentioned there are 8 more miles after that?
I might fall in love with my seat after 19 miles of climbing!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:17 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Yeah,I made it up the 11 once and was so proud and happy. then I look up and I see that I am not at the top. This bothered danimal. he needs always to go to the highest point or he feels like he didnt complete it. I asked the ranger and he told me it goes up 8...or was it 18 more miles. When the time comes, I will google earth it and know exactly what the situation is. Including how to give directions to the person who will pick us up on the other side. That part will be fun too. I dont think I would even make it on a summer day (but id try if theres any takers) so well wait for a cooler month. Maybe even camp at the top or at the 11 mile campground and ride up the rest on day 2. We can have our "driver" at the campsite as our support posse. Aside from bragging rights, the view from the top is the #2 reason for doing it. #3 is your legs will be tree trunks and I dont think theres a 4th reason. I am overthinking this. i need to get back to work. :domo:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:00 pm 
Bajacabra
Bajacabra

Look it up at google maps and it looks like at the state park is just as high elevation (5200 feet) as the top of Palomar Mountain. The road keeps going but it looks like rolling hills between the the park and the top with not much of elevetion gain.
danimal wrote:
Yeah,I made it up the 11 once and was so proud and happy. then I look up and I see that I am not at the top. This bothered danimal. he needs always to go to the highest point or he feels like he didnt complete it. I asked the ranger and he told me it goes up 8...or was it 18 more miles. When the time comes, I will google earth it and know exactly what the situation is. Including how to give directions to the person who will pick us up on the other side. That part will be fun too. I dont think I would even make it on a summer day (but id try if theres any takers) so well wait for a cooler month. Maybe even camp at the top or at the 11 mile campground and ride up the rest on day 2. We can have our "driver" at the campsite as our support posse. Aside from bragging rights, the view from the top is the #2 reason for doing it. #3 is your legs will be tree trunks and I dont think theres a 4th reason. I am overthinking this. i need to get back to work. :domo:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:29 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5022 thanks
Received: 5056 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
I suppose I'm seriously disturbed. I've done Nate Harrison several times, all times except once solo. It is really not that bad (BWAHAHAHAHAGH), really. It is just a long grind. The views on the way up are amazing, the place smells like a huge orange grove for the first part of the climb (I guess only when the blooms are out), and the top part when you are in the park is nice.

I'd ride this in the winter or spring, which are the only times I've been. Pauma Valley can scorch in the summer.

I have always gone to the top of Boucher Hill; I don't think it's 8 more miles to that point, but that is always enough for me. The decsent is a rip. What took you 3-4 hours to climb takes like a half hour to descend! There is a way to make it really fun at the top and you can loop it on the dirt but I don't post on illegal rides :thumbsup:

I'd be up for it, but a few months at least from now.

-Big Clyde

The following user would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:48 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 130 thanks
Received: 127 thanks
Bike(s): 07 El Guapo
Wow, that's a lot of climbing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:06 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 168 thanks
Received: 306 thanks
Bike(s): Gary Fisher Tassajara
I'll do it, but I'd rather do South Grade then East Grade.