Post subject: Idaho/Utah
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:21 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 90 thanks
Bike(s): '17 SC Hightower CC X01 27.5+
Favorite Trails: La Costa, PQ, Daley, Sycamore
Some friends and I took a trip to Idaho for the solar eclipse and took our time coming back home through Utah. Lots of great riding along the way. If you get a chance all these rides were awesome and worth it to check out.

1. Zen Trail in St. George, Utah. - rocky and technical in places with some hike a bike. I loved this trail but we should have started earlier. Pretty miserable in 95F heat! We rode it counter clockwise and had a blast!
2. City Creek Trails in Pocatello, Idaho - fun climb in the shade along a creek for the first half of the climb, then more technical with some exposure and rock slides crossing the path but beautiful views of the grassy valley (Mushroom, Over the Top and Sullivan's Trails). The fun was the downhill back down along Cusick Creek then bombing down Bump, Death Valley Trails! So much fun. Finish with lunch and beer at Sand Trap.
3. Fox and Chocolate Creek Trails in Ketchum, Idaho. Great trails! Both have a decent climb with some switchbacks (all rideable) and then a great downhill to finish them off. We rode both counterclockwise as suggested by locals. Great food and beers in town after the rides. We camped out on Corral Creek area north of Sun Valley. There is also a short fun mostly DH trail there that we shuttled (Corral Creek Trail).
4. Greenhorn/Imperial Trails - Ketchum, Idaho. Just south of town you will find this awesome loop. A tough gradually streepening climb through trees and an old burn zone. Finally ends up with an absolute bomber of ridge DH run ending with some sweeping downhill turns through the forest. We did the loop counterclockwise. More options to add distance. Probably my favorite ride in Ketchum.
5. Galena Lodge north of Ketchum, Idaho. Only had one loop here on Rip and Tear but it was great. Wish I had more time here. More new school trails. Wide and berms and a few tabletop jumps. Fast! Great DH the second half. There is a nice bike shop and lodge to chill and eat/drink between laps here. Real cool spot.
6. Deer Valley - Park City, Utah Had a blast here riding the flow trails until my buddy destroyed himself on a tabletop jump. Tidal Wave was my favorite trail because it had some really well built beginner tabletops and also some high speed berms. I bet its amazing after some rain.
7. Wasatch Crest Trail - Park City, Utah - This was the highlight of the trip. Starting around 10,000 feet this shuttle ride drops more than 5,000 feet! We used Big Rack Shuttle to get to the top and a local showed us how to ride dirt all the way to the bottom on the Wasatch Crest, Mill Creek and Rattlesnake Trails. The scenery is amazing and the riding was top notch. Flowy and fun. Some minor technical sections that a beginner would easily walk. Other than Puke Hill near the beginning (a 350foot climb at 12-17% grade) there are no major climbs. I wish I knew how to attach photos because this section made me want to move there!

Does this link work: https://goo.gl/photos/bRse3ogzsoqe3cFV7

The following 10 users would like to thank tranceX for his or her post:
ajdonner, avidtest, Canaan, Copper Cable, Eric_B, k2rider, Kimba, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor, tfitz
 Post subject: Re: Idaho/Utah
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:15 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
Nice...Zen is my favorite in St George proper out there. I love Park City as well and Deer Valley is where I spend most of my time as well. Tons of great trails out there. That would be my retirement area if I was willing to spend $800K on a retirement home but I need all that money for a nee bike every 18 months. :)

The following 3 users would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
Copper Cable, OldDogDan, racerbill
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:36 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23228 thanks
Received: 17283 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Yes, link works. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:07 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 325 thanks
Received: 229 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz LTC, KTM 300
Favorite Trails: big laguna
Eagle point ski resort outside of beaver Utah has been building trails and they have a couple of great rides at the 10,000 foot level