Post subject: Awesome video....
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:06 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
Stole this off the Utah board at MTBR. This is a great ride if you like to "haul the mail" as fast as your legs will propel you. This is JEM, Dead Ringer & More Cowbell outside the city of Hurricane....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiDfGyC ... e=youtu.be

The following 3 users would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
avidtest, Dirtrider, OldDogDan
 Post subject: Re: Awesome video....
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:52 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 90 thanks
Bike(s): '17 SC Hightower CC X01 27.5+
Favorite Trails: La Costa, PQ, Daley, Sycamore
Any idea which direction this video was riding the JEM-MoreCowbell-DeadRinger loop? Does anyone know if its better to climb Dead Ringer and descend JEM or the other way around? I heard t,here are some 2 foot kickers on the "more difficult" split on Dead Ringer descending which sound fun, but I've also heard JEM down is not to be missed.

I was thinking this route might be good. Any input?

https://www.strava.com/routes/5148806

I'm heading out there tomorrow!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:20 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
Keep in mind that you can ride JEM as an out and back loop from the Virgin trailhead off Hwy 9 (the road to Zion) or you can also start up top off Hwy 59 (the road to Lake Powell). If don't shuttle it as an end of the day ride off of Hwy 59, we always start at the bottom in Virgin.

First off to answer your question, that video section along the canyon above is on top and is More Cowbell, riding clockwise. You can easily ride add that 2.5 mile loop to your ride after you come up from Virgin.

As I said, we personally start down in Virgin and ride up the JEM Trail. When I say "up", it couldn't be any easier and still be going up, trust me. After about 3 miles, we go left of Cryptobiotic (twisty, windy and still gradually uphill) and follow that to Goosebumps. Hang a right on Goosebumps and just follow the signs. Goosebumps is twisty & windy as well but adds a pump track feel after a while. I just took a group there (3) weeks ago and they loved it. You will eventually run into Dead Ringer and you want to go left there. Follow that very mellow, climbing single-track up to the top of the mesa where there will be a cowbell to ring. More Cowbell will be off to your left there and JEM is about 1/4 mile away around to the right.

As you start down Upper JEM (one way DH by the way), that's where those "kickers" will be and then you'll go down a couple sketchy switchbacks that 98% of people walk it seems....totally rideable. After that, put on the afterburners as you scream down JEM because you can safely go as fast as your legs will let you. That first 1.5-2 miles is DH traffic only and there are plenty of small lil' kickers, raised berms and small drops to increase the fun factor.

One other tidbit...don't be convinced to take Dead Ringer the first time you come to it (it would be a right turn) as it's a loooonnnnng, twisty, out of the way route to the top that has minimal fun factor like the pump track section of Goosebumps. It was also pocked with 3-4" deep holes from cattle walking across the trail after a recent rain. I rode it once when the shop guys at Over the Edge (GO THERE!!) said Goosebumps was too wet to ride. I won't be going back to that lower section of Dead Ringer anytime soon.

Feel free to hit me up by PM if you have any other questions about the area.

The following user would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:09 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 90 thanks
Bike(s): '17 SC Hightower CC X01 27.5+
Favorite Trails: La Costa, PQ, Daley, Sycamore
Thank you so much! THis is great!