PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:25 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 87 thanks
Received: 173 thanks
Bike(s): Mach 4, Firebird, 7p7, Phx
Favorite Trails: Noble, Mammoth, Trestle BP
Hi all,
Need some help here. I need to get out of town for a few days and was thinking about heading to either Sedona, Flagstaff or both for some riding.

I'm wondering if it's too hot in Sedona right now....

I would be leaving on weds and coming back either sat or sun.

I'm looking for some trail advice on either of those places too. Looking for some trails that are AM in nature, not pussed out 4' wide walking paths to see the pretty rocks.

decent climbs with awesome decents and views would be perfect!

Any help would be great. PM me if you're in that area and would like to show me around...I'll buy beer. :cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:17 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7322 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
Sedona is getting a little warm, forecast shows mid 80s for highs. You could pull it off if you ride in the mornings or if you don't mind the heat. The trails are all fun and mostly AM or technical xc. Infinite possibilities for routes and loops, and the Sedona maps are not even close to complete. The Bike N Bean in town can give good advice.

Flagstaff temps will definitely be better. There is a ton of AM / FR stuff on Mt Eldon.
Lots of people shuttle it (rough road up) but you can also climb up trails like Shultz Cr. The fun stuff is off the top near TV hill, its around a 4mi climb.

You can get maps for both places here: http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/index.php?cat=10

The AZ forum on MTBR is a good source of info, and very active. You can probably hook up with people there for rides in either place too. Have fun and take pictures!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:11 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

evdog wrote:
Sedona is getting a little warm, forecast shows mid 80s for highs. You could pull it off if you ride in the mornings or if you don't mind the heat. The trails are all fun and mostly AM or technical xc. Infinite possibilities for routes and loops, and the Sedona maps are not even close to complete. The Bike N Bean in town can give good advice.

Flagstaff temps will definitely be better. There is a ton of AM / FR stuff on Mt Eldon.
Lots of people shuttle it (rough road up) but you can also climb up trails like Shultz Cr. The fun stuff is off the top near TV hill, its around a 4mi climb.

You can get maps for both places here: http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/index.php?cat=10

The AZ forum on MTBR is a good source of info, and very active. You can probably hook up with people there for rides in either place too. Have fun and take pictures!

Thanks Evdog! I will definitely take lots of pics too!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:39 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Got a room at the Red Agave resort. Heading there tomorrow and returning sunday.

If any DT'ers are in the area and would like to ride, PM me please.

Flagstaff/sedona/grand cyn area.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:13 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 851 thanks
Received: 650 thanks
Bike(s): Trance X1, Giant STP, Foes Fly
Favorite Trails: La Costa, Idyllwild
If you do Sedona, stop in at Mountain Bike Heaven, http://www.mountainbikeheaven.com/ I was up there in April, I stopped by the shop to ask for trail advise, they let me tag along on a locals group ride, 15 miles or so, a lot of stuff not on the maps, mostly "XC" but a lot of good features, natural drops/rolls, just off the trail. Have a blast :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:43 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 1 thanks
Received: 7 thanks
Bike(s): Devinci Spartan
Favorite Trails: Noble
Just got back from 5 days in Sedona. Have to say wow, what a great place to ride. I picked up an AZ mountain bike guide book, FaT Tire tales and trails and picked out a few good trails.

Great stuff , rolling terrain with some challenging technical parts. Varied difficulty from easy to way crazy, not sure how anyone gets down that stuff. loved ridding on the slick rock, views are amazing of all the rock formations. Weather was amazing and met a lot of real cool locals.

Put slime in your tires if you ride there.. mega flats if not

Loved the following trails:
Highline: a must do : a little more challenging. the switch backs at the end were short but freaky

Mund wagon trail: easy , had a good climb and a fun down hill.

I liked:
Submarine rock, fun flow to it, some slick rock

I had a blast, highly recommend it, and will probably go every year. Loved the town as well. I think if you like big bommer runs flagstaff is probably a better bet, but the slick rock and rolling terrain make sedona a blast. course there only like 40 miles apart...