Post subject: Tucson - 50 Year Trail
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:07 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7322 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
Tucson's 50 Year Trail came highly recommended for both beautiful scenery and fun, challenging singletrack. A local offered to give us a tour on Monday morning, and being that its a 30min drive on the way out of town it was a perfect choice. The 50 Year Trail itself is around a 12mi ride with some fast smooth sections as well as some tougher, rocky climbs. But there also are a ton of offshoots and optional stuff on the upper 50 Year section that really make this place a gem.

We met up with our guide Duncan at 9am and set off toward the rock slabs you can see on the far hill.

We didn't actually start on 50 Year, I think this is the equestrian loop or some kind of connector

This is chutes, a side loop that has berms and of course chutes, that you can rocket through.

fast corner

It is a short climb back up to the top of chutes where we will continue on

The climbing gets steeper and more technical here. Its all rideable, even Robo could have climbed some of it (had he not pussied out on the trip :lol: )

More types of cactus appear

Kreechan sets up to try a double step up feature

hard to get a pic of it, you had an 18" step up on a smooth, round rock, with a 45 degree turn required at the same time all while dodging rocks on either side of the trail.

Once up the first step you had 2 pedal strokes to set up for the next one.

The hardest part now past, we continue on up

We are now on 50 Year trail

Duncan points to where we will be going, straight up the rock slabs

It was steep, but had slickrock grip

Almost there, just one more steep grade to climb

Yes, it is as steep as it looks. And yes, they did ride up it...animals! (I opted to hike)

We get a fun descent down this rock slab

Very scenic

This place would be off the charts when it is green

Duncan checks out the line on the first big trail feature, a long off camber spine

He has obviously done this before

The runout is nasty...very off camber and shoots you right into the rocks

Kreechan tries

And tries, narrowly escaping death and/or cactus. I didn't bother, my fragile carbon fiber bike is not the one to try this stuff on

We continue on

This was a fun roller, tricky to get up on but very smooth

And led right in to this next one

Kreechan rolls the left side. Note the drop to the right of the bush, a small gap jump.

Duncan hits it cleanly

Did he make it? The deep sand at the bottom says no!

Unfortunately I forgot I was filming and hit the shutter button as if I was taking a picture. Kreechan wiped out in the sand and landed hard...

Interesting cactus

A fun roll to rock wall

Another steep rock face, this time with an abrupt transition at the bottom that requires careful speed control

I go

And Duncan again

View from below, its pretty long and really steep

Riding back. Kreechan finished the ride despite being bunged up. If only everyone were this tough, eh Rob? (I know karma is going to get me for that one...:lol:)

Down a fun chute

Kreechan still going. Even with only one good hand he had little trouble keeping up

This was a perfect loop for the amount of time we had, trying to get out of town by 1pm SD time. After dropping Kreechan off I was unloading the truck back at my place by 8pm, which is pretty much a world record for road trips as far as I can recall.

Tucson is a great place to ride. Nothing is too far away from town, there is endless opportunity for flow and chunk, and the people are very friendly. Lots of good places to ride, too. I think there would be little problem finding a weeks worth of riding there. And it is only slightly further than driving to Phoenix! Big thanks to Duncan for the tour today and to everyone else who gave us tips and info. And thanks to Kreechan and Robo for coming out. OK, Robo only gets thanked for leaving his bike for me to ride and his Stone IPA which we drank! (and for taking all the jokes like a man...an old, crippled man, but a man :lol: )

The following 18 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, boone29er, Brian, Canaan, Chadster, Christ D., Dustin, Gman, K2Brandon, kreechan, OhNooo, Ray Dolor, Red Hot Sloth, rob240z, Robo, Scarbery Rdr, sierragoldens, tfitz
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:55 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2184 thanks
Received: 1791 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt
I'm so sorry this crippled old man couldn't be there. Clearly it was not for the best, as I can see you young punks were hopeless without some seasoned guidance on how to ride up and down those features! :lol:

The following user would like to thank Robo for his or her post:
evdog
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:09 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 292 thanks
Received: 190 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Reign 1, K2 Base 3.0
Favorite Trails: Calaveras; Sandy ridge, OR.
That place looks so fun. i gotta get in on the next one of these.

The following user would like to thank K2Brandon for his or her post:
evdog
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:16 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1973 thanks
Received: 1352 thanks
Bike(s): Mojo HD140, Niner One
Favorite Trails: Sierra High Route
You DID capture the stupid steepness and craziness of those rollers Evan, so scratch that trail off my list of trails to do.....unless they come up with AM shorts that will handle an all-mountain sized shiting of the pants.

Great pic...great riding :thumbsup:

What make and model of bike was Duncan (the stud rider that was schooling you guys) riding Evan?

The following user would like to thank sierragoldens for his or her post:
evdog
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:08 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 153 thanks
Received: 145 thanks
Bike(s): Niner RIP9 / Heckler
Favorite Trails: They are all better than work
Great TR and photos. One of the hardest things about trail photography is capturing a true representation of how steep the trails can be. Your photos and vids did a great job of it - truly some of the best I've seen in that regard. Great stuff!!!

If you had only one day to ride in Tucson, where would it be? I will be there soon but won't have much time to ride.

The following user would like to thank Chadster for his or her post:
evdog
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:37 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7322 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
Chadster wrote:
If you had only one day to ride in Tucson, where would it be? I will be there soon but won't have much time to ride.

There are lots of options in or near town depending how much time you have, and whether you have transportation and a guide.

50 Year was a ton of fun and you could spend a full day easily, but you would want a guide to help find the fun stuff (much is not marked). And its 30min N of town.

Starr Pass / Brown / Robles at Tucson Mtn Park is very close to town - would have been riding distance from the motel6. And supposedly has some fun stuff.

The Bugs-Molina-Milagrosa ride we did is a great one if you like technical, but you need a way to shuttle it, and I wouldn't ride it alone or on a hot day.

Fantasy Island like Erik said is cool but I wouldn't sacrifice something better to ride there. It is perfect if you just have a couple hours though.

One of the first three would be my choice if given only one day

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:07 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 453 thanks
Received: 548 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis Ripley
Favorite Trails: Actual Singletrack
It's funny--I was born in Tuscon, and did some growing up there, but since I was only into BMX racing at the time, I had no idea about the cool trails in the area.

Need to plan a trip there some time. It's too bad that the most scenic time of year (during or just after the monsoon) also happens to be hot.