All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:41 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 126 thanks
Received: 223 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis Mojo SL (650b)
Favorite Trails: Thunder Mountain, MRT
A couple of weekends ago, Doug (Pacman), Jeremy, (Spec-Ed) and I headed out to AZ for some new dirt. The plan was to break up the driving by hitting Prescott on Friday, then continue on to Sedona to ride Saturday and Sunday. Sean (GP_Pilot) also joined us but missed out on all of the fun in the car by meeting us in Preskit.

We rolled out of SD at 4:00 AM Friday morning, and were in Preskit by 10:15. I had planned the ride for the day and chose to do the Lynx Lake Loop Trail. We started at the main trailhead off Walker Rd and the three of us did a quick recon trip out to the Lynx Creek Pueblo ruins while we waited for Sean to arrive. The ruins were marked by an info marker and were best viewed from a platform constructed just off the 301 trail.

They were really only a pile of rocks today, but apparently once marked the home of 20-30 Native Americans.

The ruins were a little anticlimactic, and once Sean joined us we were on our way. We were following a map I found in Cosmic Ray’s MTB guide, which turned out to be a little out of date. For the first several miles of the southbound part of the loop we followed the 305 Trail as it meandered through pine and oak trees that lined the lake.

Many of the trees were still in the process of changing colors, which added to the scenery.

Jeremy killed it all weekend on his hardtail 1X9:

While Doug enjoyed the fruits of his new blingy Niner:

Though the trail was near the lake, we only saw water once, and that was on a small detour.

The trail was mildly technical with only a few rocky sections and moderate climbs. Sean did manage to find one feature that I think all of cleaned:

Doug also cleaned this rocky portion:

I enjoyed myself thoroughly:

Sean had no problem with the moderate climbs on the way out the 305 Trail. Mush be all of the extra sleep he got that morning:

The 305 trail meandered for about 8 miles until we began the second part of the loop that started bringing us back toward the trailhead. At this point of the ride we found ourselves doing some significant route finding despite the assistance of Cosmic Ray’s and Dale Wiggins’ maps. In the past I think there were only a couple of main trails on the west side of Walker Rd, but over the years motos and hikers have created a significant number of offshoot trails and false turns that made it very hard to stay on our intended route. Thanks to Sean’s navigation skills and my boundless enthusiasm, we stayed positive and actually rode the route mostly as intended.

There were a couple of memorable moments of the second half of the loop, including a bonus trip up to a fascinating water tower:

And a brief intermission to fix Doug’s torn sidewall:

Once we firmly got our bearings we had an uneventful ride back to the trailhead. The ride ended up longer (16 miles, just over 4 hours) than I had anticipated, but was enjoyable overall. This is not what I would call a “destination ride,” however. It bore more than a passing resemblance to BLT, and if given the choice again I would probably have ridden a different trail in Preskit to kick off our trip. But we logged some fun miles and had a decent break-in ride for the weekend.

Post-ride dinner and refreshments were at the Prescott Brewing Company, where Sean and I enjoyed their amazing chocolate porter called “Achocolypse.” Tremendous.

After dinner we headed up the freeway a bit toward Sedona, where we camped for the night. Day two of the AZ Weekend is coming in a different post.

*Several pictures in this report courtesy of Sean.

Everytrail link here: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=878379

GTC link here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/56035765

The following 12 users would like to thank quaestionis for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, Brian, Canaan, Christ D., evdog, OldDogDan, PacMan, Ratigan, Red Hot Sloth, sierragoldens, slingshot, tfitz
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:50 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
Very nice TR. I see you're using the local pronounciation of Prescott. First SB8's and now Ardents -- damn, Doug is hard on sidewalls.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:58 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7322 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
Awesome pics James, thanks for posting!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:40 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1013 thanks
Received: 1233 thanks
Favorite Trails: The one I'm riding today.
Canaan wrote:
Very nice TR. I see you're using the local pronounciation of Prescott. First SB8's and now Ardents -- damn, Doug is hard on sidewalls.

Actually, that was the first sidewall I've ever torn in 6+ years of riding. Sladnas is the one that had the big problem with the SB8's--I just happened to witness all that.

Great TR James!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:02 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
PacMan wrote:
Canaan wrote:
First SB8's and now Ardents -- damn, Doug is hard on sidewalls.

Actually, that was the first sidewall I've ever torn in 6+ years of riding. Sladnas is the one that had the big problem with the SB8's--I just happened to witness all that.

:oops:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:26 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 442 thanks
Received: 2590 thanks
Bike(s): RIP9, Nomad
Favorite Trails: Backcountry
By no fault of James, but this loop in Cosmic Ray's book was a fail. 301 trail is nice beginner/intermedate trail with flow and well worn, bearing resemblance to riding in the trees along BLT. Up and back would have been best. The other side of the road was less than noteable trails, especially with active the skid loading/lumber operations that completely wiped out a stretch of trail we were riding. Unfortunately Preskit didn't deliver the goods this time around.

Canaan wrote:
damn, Doug is hard on sidewalls.

Yes, and this was only Day 1.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:52 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 6166 thanks
Received: 6399 thanks
Bike(s): mango. pivot. chumba
Favorite Trails: san jaun. arizona trails
I love Arizona trails thanks. I had the book when I did Prescott, but stopped by the local bike store to get the low down and got in some good rides including 396. Always check the locals.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:20 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1644 thanks
Received: 1322 thanks
Bike(s): Knolly Endo, Canfield Jedi
Favorite Trails: DH Trails
All these trips are giving me trip-envy. Hopefully I'll get to jump on more in the new year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:02 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 4775 thanks
Received: 2577 thanks
Bike(s): Steel.
Favorite Trails: Porcupine Rim , Sedona .
Sweet pics dude , some parts i rode last May and the brewey was nice too :cheers:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:05 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 666 thanks
Received: 1790 thanks
Favorite Trails: teh gnar
looks like fun.