Post subject: AZT – Walnut Canyon
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:04 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 442 thanks
Received: 2590 thanks
Bike(s): RIP9, Nomad
Favorite Trails: Backcountry
Last week I conveniently found myself in Flagstaff for the weekend. After taking care of some work in Phoenix on Friday, Brent and I headed up to Flagstaff for the weekend. After a late afternoon ride on the excellent Sycamore Rim trail, I was in the mood for a longer point-to-point ride the next day. Also having driven through Flagstaff well over 4 dozen times, Walnut Canyon National Monument was still on my to do list. I hadn’t come across much information on the Arizona trail section through Walnut Canyon, but decided to combine both into the ride for the day.

Our start was the east side of Flagstaff at Sandy Seep trailhead off Rt 89 and immediately picked up the Arizona Trail (AZT) for nearly the entire ride.

Passing through the tunnel under Rt 89, we quickly found that nearly no one rides this section of AZT and only a bit of foot traffic.

The ground is composed of volcanic cinder as a result of the cinder cones in the immediate area, so sections are very soft and loose just like decomposed granite. Luckily, most of it is on a down grade. There’s even a small bit of hike-a-bike through some serious volcanic rock.

Finally you’re spit out on to a road and prairie area, but you’re only on the road for maybe 100 yards.

This is where the trail gets thin and don’t be confused with the other cow trails in the open pasture. There’s a nice view of the San Francisco Peaks looking back where you started.

Exiting the pasture you start following some offroad trails paralleling the railroad tracks heading east to Albuquerque. Eventually the AZT splits off with sign post and you’re back on singletrack for good.

Then you head under the railroad tracks and I-40.

Occasionally signs give you mileage.

But we crank along through open land.

The AZT crosses Walnut Canyon Rd within 1/2 mile of the park entrance gate. Riding a bike, you will still need to pay admission but I’ve definitely gotten my money’s worth this year from the America the Beautiful access pass. Having been never been to Walnut Canyon N.M. I didn’t know what to expect, but found there’s over 2 dozen cliff dwellings in the canyon. You enter the Island trail via the bottom of the visitors center and descend nearly 200’. The trail is just that, an island peninsula in the canyon.

Most of the canyon’s cliff dwellings (rooms) reside on the same level of rock deposit on both sides of the canyon.

Water was collected from the stream below and crops grown on the rim above. Signs state that these dwellings were only inhabited for just over 100 years before these people moved on further to the south.

Done with lunch, it was time to roll again and pickup AZT where we left off. This section definitely shows moderate bike traffic but we didn’t see anyone on the trail, even on a Saturday.

2.1 miles to the west of the Walnut Canyon Rd, you come to the main AZT trailhead for this section.

The trail meanders through the forest, with the usual xc undulations and occasional cobblestone rock sections.

Unlike Sycamore Rim trail, you don’t see much of Walnut Canyon until the very end.

About the half way point, the AZT briefly comes to the rim, but you’ll be too busy concentrating hard on the trail with three tight, descending switchbacks.

After this, there are 4 short overlook side trails to the rim. The first couple doesn’t come across as outstanding, but are notable none the less.

Not until you reach Fisher Point overlook.

If you feel that you haven’t gotten any reward up to this point, this is where you’re ending up in 0.9 mile.

The 400’ drop to the bottom of the meadow is some near black diamond fun.

There’s even a cool cave like feature at the foot of the rock formation.

We continued on AZT for another mile and then split off for the 1.3 climb up Sandy’s Canyon to the Canyon Vista trailhead where our other vehicle was parked. With 23 miles completed for the day it was time to hit up Flagstaff for some food & brew.

And while we were there, Saturday night was the locals’ beach cruiser night at Flagstaff Brewing Company with some 3 dozen bikes rolling up.

Afterwards we strolled around a couple of blocks and found the original keg bike in a bike store.

Overall, it was a good ride accentuated with a visit to the Walnut Canyon National Monument. Friday’s ride of Sycamore Rim was still fresh in our minds, but Sunday’s section of AZT would best both by a long shot.

The following 11 users would like to thank GP_pilot for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, Brian, Canaan, Christ D., Dustin, evdog, OldDogDan, Red Hot Sloth, Scott Forty G., singletrackzen, wirk242
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:44 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1013 thanks
Received: 1233 thanks
Favorite Trails: The one I'm riding today.
Looks awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:21 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 518 thanks
Received: 1358 thanks
Bike(s): 6 of 'em
Favorite Trails: I don't ride dirt
We are all wishing we would have taken you up on the offer to go now. Sweet TR.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:30 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 18 thanks
Received: 9 thanks
Bike(s): Kona Hei Hei, Spot
Favorite Trails: Noble Canyon, ACFL
NIce trail, and that burger is making me hungry.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:12 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Nice TR. I'll be in Flag again this fall, and am planning to ride Mt Elden trails some more. But how about that Sycamore Rim trail you said was excellent? Planning a TR on that?

(I found a map, TR and pictures of Sycamore Rim on singletrack.us -- looks pretty nice. Lots of rock. The climbing and altitude at Mt Elden last year were pretty hard for me -- Sycamore looks a little more moderate in that respect.)

Thanks.

Last edited by OldDogDan on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:36 am 
Bajacabra
Bajacabra

Given: 7412 thanks
Received: 7175 thanks
Bike(s): Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: SART, Thounder Mtn,Sweetwater
Wow! Great TR Sean thanks.

Post subject: 25
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:00 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1012 thanks
Received: 1675 thanks
Bike(s): Enduro Bike
Favorite Trails: Mount Whitney

Last edited by Scott Forty G. on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:30 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 722 thanks
Received: 974 thanks
Bike(s): Stumpy FSR/Mary SS
Favorite Trails: Undecided
Looks like you guys hit it just right. Someday I'd love to ride the AZT from end to end.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:29 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 666 thanks
Received: 1790 thanks
Favorite Trails: teh gnar
Very nice, looks like a great day.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:13 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 10 thanks
Received: 15 thanks
Bike(s): Blur LT, Bullit
Favorite Trails: Tec, Single Track
I seemed to be really popular in those pics.
:lol: