All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:53 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 0 thanks
Received: 90 thanks
Bike(s): '17 SC Hightower CC X01 27.5+
Favorite Trails: La Costa, PQ, Daley, Sycamore
Heading to Sedona for a few days. Looks like 90% rain in Sedona on Sunday though. I guess it will depend on the size of the storm but is there anything nearby that is worth riding on the way back? The only spot I am aware of is Prescott. The back up is South Mountain in Phoenix. 0% rain there on Sunday. Is Prescott worth the diversion?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:05 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 356 thanks
Received: 550 thanks
Bike(s): I like bikes
Favorite Trails: Any
I've ridden Sara Park in Havasu a bunch. It is not a destination but worth a ride if you are there. The trails are on TrailForks.

I've talked to a couple guys there who have said the Kingman trails are fun. They are also on TrailForks.

Browse some of the ride reports from Evdog. He is an AZ expert.

The following user would like to thank J.A.M. for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:58 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
What kind of riding do you want to do and how many miles? I just returned from my first dedicated MTB trip to Prescott and suffice to say, we also came away impressed. The knock you frequently hear about Prescott is it doesn't have enough difficult terrain or it's "too XC oriented". I have to say, if you compare it to Sedona or South Mountain, that's probably true but there are challenges. We rode with some locals over at the Constellation trails with some locals who were true expert riders. We only did 6.5 miles and I was toast at the end due to the pace they pushed...and they waited for us a lot!! Another day we did 18 miles of foresty singletrack with 3000 ft of climbing....or so says Trailforks. I would describe Prescott riding as similar to Big Bear or Idyllwild but designed 10X better, 95% singletrack and absolutely beautiful.

If you want to do a great loop, the Cactus Cup race loop in Cave Creek is super fun and scenic https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/576134 ... -race-loop. Browns Ranch down in Scottsdale could be fun if your legs are already toast and you want as easy day. As far as being truly "on the way home", I'd say that White Tanks https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700127 ... outer-loop or FINS/Estrella https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/701297 ... hills-loop might fit the bill.

The following user would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:32 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7322 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
Riding in Prescott won't really break up the drive to/from Sedona, it is enough out of the way it will just make the drive home longer. As K2 says riding in Prescott is great though and highly worth it as its own trip. If you think the riding there isn't hard enough, go ride the Granite Dells which is a huge granite playground of endless lines. It isn't all on Trailforks, but should all be on the city map which you can find here, or get for $1 at any bike shop. http://www.prescott-az.gov/recreation-e ... as/trails/

Some other rides you could do:

Black Canyon Trail - the section south of Black Canyon City and around Little Pan Loop is a good non-shuttle ride. The segment from Bloody Basin Rd south to BCC is also really good - maybe 28mi doable in 4-5 hours but is a point to point shuttle. There is also a new brand new loop off BCT called Copper Mtn just north of Hwy 69. Haven't done Copper Mtn yet, but heard it's good. Avoid BCT after rain, there are some sections of death mud.

Any network in Phoenix not far from the freeway will work. South Mtn is great but a bit out of the way. Lake Pleasant trails are supposedly fun - would be an out and back. Phoenix Sonoran Preserve and Phoenix Mountain Preserve are right off I-17 and supposedly good. Estrella/FINS is good. Skip the part that is right in Estrella Mountain Regional Park though. The better stuff is at FINS and between FINS and the regional park. White Tanks is good and if you want chunk, Goat Camp is the go to. There is also Skyline Regional Park. Haven't ridden it but location would be convenient. All of these are easy to access and good for a couple up to a few hours ride.

Yuma - see Trailforks. There is a decent network that is pretty fun and good for a few hours. Think moonscape environment.

Monolith in Kingman is fun but as with Havasu it is pretty far out of the way from Sedona.

The following user would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:32 pm 
Participant
Participant

Received: 90 thanks
Bike(s): '17 SC Hightower CC X01 27.5+
Favorite Trails: La Costa, PQ, Daley, Sycamore
Thanks guys, this is awesome information! If I don't get to do it this trip, great to have in mind for next time.

I like to ride a mix of XC and technical stuff. Prescott sounds cool, but looks like the storm is heading that way Sunday as well. Phoenix should miss the storm so I think we'll head that direction and check out some of those ones closer to PHX. Havasu is probably too far out of the way.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:44 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Received: 424 thanks
Bike(s): Commencal Super 4.1
Favorite Trails: Black Rock Oregon
I would recommend black canyon trail unless there is significant rain. Although it is an awesome close to 30 mile ride, there are some low lying spots that we called the mud pits of despair when we shuttled it due to snow in Sedona. Carrying the bike over your shoulders and 10lbs of mud on your feet for about 3/4 of a mile was not very fun but an adventure.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:10 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 986 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
The Black Canyon Trail trailhead *is* pretty much immediately adjacent to the freeway on the way home and more importantly uses the same exit as the famous Rock Springs Cafe/pie shop. We did the ride mentioned by evdog last year an our route was 30 miles and 3600 ft of climbing. Tons of up and down and up and down. It definitely worked us over more than we expected going in. I wouldn't suggest it if you're legs are toast from previous days riding.