All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:21 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 442 thanks
Received: 2590 thanks
Bike(s): RIP9, Nomad
Favorite Trails: Backcountry
NUT was one of two absolute rides on this year’s trip, while everything else was just filler. All river trails aspire to be this one, but few ever make it into the same ballpark. Comparing SART to it is like a bad, crumpled carbon copy of a photo, sent through a fax machine. It's not even worth the effort.

The North Umpqua Trail is 79 miles long split into 11 sections. All but the upper 9 miles are open to bikes due to wilderness designation, but there’s a bunch of blood thirsty mosquitoes by the upper lakes anyhow. Most folks choose to experience this in 3 or 2 days. There’s so much this trail throws at you that you could nearly do a trail report on each section. Day two began with waking up to our new campsite enshrouded in a canopy of green forest.

Followed by a 45 min shuttle from our campground to a quaint general store on Lemolo Lake.

Breakfast took a while, but there’s nothing for miles and we would need every last bite by the time we finished out the day.

Views from the lake were pretty good to boot.

Back in the van, it was about another 5 miles to the Kelsay Valley trailhead. And so the adventure began.

It doesn’t take long before we’re riding along side the wet stuff.

Most of the Lemolo section is in the trees.

It doesn’t take much time to cover the 6.3 miles and we’re on to the Dread & Terror section.

Being absorbed in the scenery is the part of the NUT experience

Lemolo Falls plunging 102’

One of the major bridge crossings

Which seemed like an ideal spot for a break

Lots of little water drainage crossings

Think you’ve seen green?

Think again,

And again.

Because it never stops

Occasionally the scenery changes as you rise in elevation,

And back down to water level.

Obligatory handlebar shot

Sharing the trail with another user

James demonstrates the proper way to refill your water bottle (yes, it’s that pure).

I quickly lost count on the number of falls and bridge crossings

But each one was unique, like Columnar Falls

An incredible 13 miles later, this sketchy river crossing marks the start of the Hot Springs segment.

The north side of the river is a bit drier as it gets more sun, but is fun none the less.

All too soon this 3.5 miles is over as you cross the upper side of Toketee Lake.

The real work begins in the 9.6 mile Deer Leap segment

Although the first part is fun after a climb,

It starts wearing you down with seemingly endless series of descents into ravines followed by steep climbs that most of us hiked out of. The ideal way to do this section is to ride it in opposite direction, but not today. You learn to hate sawtooth elevation changes in this section.

I remember standing on a bluff overlook around the 28 mile mark, that this trail was sucking the life out of my legs with just over 3,500’ of climbing.

Towards the end of the segment we started running into spots of deadfall. At 31 miles, I remounted the bike but lost my balance due to fatigue and couldn’t get off before going over the edge. James had already fallen over the side once today when he stalled on a climb but managed to climb back up unscathed. Unfortunately I landed smack on a 3” cut tree that jammed into my upper chest, just right of my sternum. I’ve broken my right collar bone before and the same dull, heavy pain raced through my shoulder once again. I stayed inverted for a minute or so, still clipped into the bike, hanging to the tree with only my pack strap. The discomfort finally made me want to get out of my predicament. James finally came after I had already collected everything backup on the trail.

I suppose I was somewhat lucky. Lucky that my pack strap caught me and I didn’t continue tumbling down the slope 200’+ down to Soda Springs reservoir. And lucky that the point of impact wasn’t 4” closer to my neck. Over 1/4 of the trail to this point was bench cuts into steep hill sides. At one point on Dread & Terror you could look straight down to the river some 100’+ below just 8” off the trail’s edge. You don’t think about the consequences of riding trails at this level or you’d be at home on the couch. But this ride wasn’t over and I at least had to see if I could at least continue riding to an access road. I still had good range of motion in my shoulder, so I wasn’t completely done. I favored by left arm, but could tolerate supporting my upper weight with my right with occasional winces of pain when I pulled or pushed on the bars.

We finally met up with Offroadie, Stang, and Brian waiting for us at the Soda Springs dam. We were all pretty much near our endurance limits at this point 33 miles into the ride. Larry, Curly, and Moe were somewhere ahead of us. I finally manned up and asked James for his Tylenol that I declined earlier, as the adrenaline was now wearing off. I should have called the ride at this point for the sake of all 5 of us and just taken the main road back to camp. But rational thinking doesn’t always prevail when you’re fatigued, in pain, and angry. NUT was the purpose of this year’s trip, I wanted to finish this day’s ride more than anything, and was torqued that the other guys continued ahead. My HTFU went into overdrive and the other guys probably though I was crazed lunatic as I suggested we continue on the 4.1 mile Jessie Wright segment and road off. In two miles, Stang was out of water and so was Brian. With everyone in survival mode, taking pictures becomes immaterial, but I manage to capture two bridges as the sawtooth elevation pattern continued.

At the finish of the segment we’re spit out at a bridge on the main road. Once again where I should have thrown in the towel and headed on the road back to camp, only 3.6 miles remained in the Marsters segment. We’ve made it this far, so we press ahead. The flat gravel road, turned to flat single track, then undulates up and down within 100’, but was much better that than the last two segments. But by now, any climb is painful. By the time we finish the segment we’re all exhausted at 42 miles into the ride with some 5,000’ of climbing. I fail to confirm on my GPS topo map which way we’re to head on the forest road back to camp just over a mile away. Instead, I have everyone pedal an additional 2.1 miles the wrong direction before I realized what I’ve done. At 850pm in the evening on summer solstice, we end back at camp with 47 miles, some 10 hours after we started. Evdog and Deno had already departed to some 30 miles away to the nearest store for hotdogs, sausage, and buns before they closed at 9pm. Tomorrow there would be 30 miles of trail left followed by a 5 mile road ride...piece of cake.

The following 14 users would like to thank GP_pilot for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, bankerboy, Canaan, deno, Dustin, evdog, jabantik, kreechan, mealsonwheels, moondogg, Ray Dolor, Red Hot Sloth, Robo, rodster
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:42 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
I loved the NUT when I was there last September on a Cog Wild Tour. Your Day 1 covered our Day 1 and 3. The riding is so demanding, especially in the Dear Leap segment where you are basically on steep hill climb repeats. Hell of a job!

For those of you trying to get a better idea of the segments of this trail, here is a link to a great map.

The following 2 users would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
evdog, kreechan
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:51 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 173 thanks
Received: 240 thanks
Not only was that a great writeup, but that is some of the prettiest singletrack I've seen in a long time. EXCELLENT pics!!

The following user would like to thank mealsonwheels for his or her post:
evdog
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:54 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 105 thanks
Received: 143 thanks
Bike(s): giant trance, surly lht
Favorite Trails: swoopy ones
Here's my batch...

interesting cut on this dead fall

greenery abound

light canopy

break time

I think this was near the hydro electric plant

The following 8 users would like to thank deno for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, Brian, evdog, kreechan, Ray Dolor, Red Hot Sloth, Robo, 406
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:44 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 126 thanks
Received: 223 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis Mojo SL (650b)
Favorite Trails: Thunder Mountain, MRT
Sean has done the heavy lifting for these RR's, but here are my pics:

Starting out at the Kelsay Valley Trailhead

102' Falls to the right, narrow singletrack to the left

406 approaches:

And passes:

Same for Deno:

Brian in the shadow of the falls:

This was taken right before Brent saw my bike on the side of the trail and thought I had been taken by the chupacabra:

Evan on approach:

And grunting out the last bit of climb:

Sean:

The beavers have been slacking:

Evan on another buff climb:

Mark in roadie form:

406 making it look easy:

More climbing:

Deno this time:

Sean posing:

So lush:

Feel the pain:

It was one gorgeous creek crossing after another:

Weeping wall:

Sean rides the stream in:

And can't keep his eyes on the trail:

The tree that speared Sean:

Ended my picture taking for the day. It was a march for survival from there, but well worth it in the end.

The following 4 users would like to thank quaestionis for his or her post:
evdog, Ray Dolor, Red Hot Sloth, rodster
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:01 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 722 thanks
Received: 974 thanks
Bike(s): Stumpy FSR/Mary SS
Favorite Trails: Undecided
Holy canoli, that was one of the roughest days I've had on a bike. Mind you, when I signed up for this trip, it was for a summer vacation, some relaxation, a little beer drinking, and so forth. This was further reinforced on day 1 when I did my first honest to goodness downhill shuttle, not once but twice.

Day 2 was billed as a light XC ride along the North Umpqua River with little climbing and just over 30 miles. Accordingly, I had a small breakfast, only filled my camelbak 2/3 full, only brought 2 Clif bars to eat, and wore what had to be my thinnest chamois. Needless to say, after 46 miles I was out of food, out of water, bonking hard, and had an extremely raw ass.

Perhaps I should have thrown myself on a stick. It seemed to work well for GP_Pilot.

On to the pics...

Looking out our back door

Beautiful Lemolo Lake

There would be no SSing for me this week. Vacation, remember?

This view was repeated over and over and over and over and...

Unexpected falls

I swear the temp dropped at least 10 degrees at this particular crossing. Note the ice blue tint.

More crossings

One of the few places away from the river

And a really cool damn

And by this time, I was so gassed and ass hurt I stopped taking pictures. Thankfully, Day 3 would end much better.

The following 4 users would like to thank Brian for his or her post:
evdog, Ray Dolor, Red Hot Sloth, rodster
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:38 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 666 thanks
Received: 1790 thanks
Favorite Trails: teh gnar
my 2 bits.

Muddy and wet:

I wanted to go to this hot springs, but it lacked nude truckers :wink:

The following 5 users would like to thank 406 for his or her post:
Brian, evdog, Ray Dolor, Red Hot Sloth, rodster
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:01 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7322 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
Since there haven't been enough pics posted yet, here are mine:

Nice place to wake up

Beautiful Lemolo Lake resort

Water flowing past the trailhead

11am, finally ready to ride

Bridgework over swampy spots is probably a good idea

Once we figured out how to get off PCT and onto NUT, we were off

And soon found ourselves out of small openings and into thicker forest

While there was some climbing we were making good time. Image

The line up

This seemed worth stopping for at the time, but we'd barely blink at it a few hours later

Stream or trail?

Stang makes a funny face at the first water crossing on the day. Expecting cold water? :D

Deno motors on

You really had to stop to take in the views, and not just because rubbernecking could send you tumbling down to the river

GP_pilot is liking it

I had to use ninja stealth to catch Stang unawares, here

I probably wasn't the only one wanting to jump in

Too many waterfalls, too little time....

If only I hadn't waited til this evening to finally read up on manual camera settings, Deno wouldn't be so in the dark

Some switchbacks breakup the monotony of great views

Break for lunch

No one was complaining about the view from this lunch spot

Hope no one has vertigo

Back down to the river

Just, wow

While taking this pic I nearly take out Deno and Stang, the trail/ledge is so narrow there was little room to park

GP_pilot and James dropping down

Cool overhang

406 cruising

I was half wishing GP_pilot would fall in 'cuz that would have made for an even better pic. :lol: He was the only one I saw try it let alone make it thru. Nicely done!

If you were looking for cool mist this was your place

The colors were simply striking

This one's for Baja

They either have an interesting take on clearing deadfall, or realized how dangerous it would be to try to cut this one out completely.

Looking up at Columnar Falls you can see water cascading down the open slope above

James appears not to notice

406 offered a bud light for anyone who rode it. No takers....

This felt like the home stretch. Unfortunately it led to the worst climbing of the day.

Below, 406 and Deno wait for the group. By now, re-groups were taking longer and longer as the group spread out, and legs were getting colder and sorer with each stop. Dinner, or the prospect of missing it completely, was worrisome. The nearest eating establishments were a 30-40min drive away, shut down at 7 or 9pm, and would first require an extra 1.5hrs of driving to retrieve the van so we could carry everyone. And we still had many miles to go. This was all making Larry, Moe and Curly even more torqued at our unnecessarily late start. But waiting around was no longer an option as the first twinges of leg cramps were setting in, so an executive decision was made to break away from the group. Keeping moving was all that enabled us to finish the ride, and even with minimal stops we barely made it to the general store before closing. If others were butt-hurt that we took off, then sorry. I know misery loves company, but getting food and preventing a downward spiral of cramps and fatigue was a bit higher on our priority list than camaradarie at this point in the ride. Survival mode, yes..... :hello:

For some reason it was a relief to be out of the trees

Deno makes his way up

406 approaches a corner followed by another steep climb

Deno reaches the end of another segment

Late afternoon sunshine

406 probably could have ridden this if the turner weren't such a tank

Deno checks out the scene on the fly.

Mercifully the last 2 sections had much less climbing. Deno cranks out the last miles. 406 bailed on the last section and took the road back. I still had water left, but he didn't trust the swamp water that James and I had filled up with. :P

Fin, campsite is one mile to the right.

Fortunately Deno and I double checked to make sure we went the right way when we got to the fire road. Others were not so fortunate and would finish 1hr + later. It seemed a long haul back into camp but really it was only a mile or so. After a quick swim we had to jet and made it to the general store with 7 minutes to spare. Brats on hot dog buns have never tasted so good. Definitely one of the most epic riding days ever, for me!

The following 6 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
Brian, deno, Ray Dolor, Red Hot Sloth, Robo, rodster
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:38 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 250 thanks
Received: 203 thanks
Bike(s): rocky mtn altitude 50
Favorite Trails: sart,cuyamaca, sweetwater
thank you guys for all the wonderfull pics and great description of your trip

keep them coming

:cheers:

The following user would like to thank turiha for his or her post:
evdog
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:18 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 666 thanks
Received: 1790 thanks
Favorite Trails: teh gnar
evdog wrote:
406 probably could have ridden this if the turner weren't such a tank

Didn't Larry and Curly also walk this section?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:43 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 7 thanks
Received: 10 thanks
Favorite Trails: All trails
Wow that is just awesome. Thanks for sharing :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:03 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5205 thanks
Received: 1036 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
Wow. Just wow. After reading yer report and lookin' at all the pics, I'm totally fatigued....
So much GREEN.