It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:37 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 146 thanks
Received: 293 thanks
Bernardo Mountain Update
Looks like some people have been putting in some solid trail work hours at Bernardo Mountain. Lots of new wooden fencing, and some interesting sections of ruts that have been filled in with large rocks/hay. I'd say the climb is a bit more technical now than it was before the fire, and always a great workout or method to see what your max heart rate is. I still haven't cleaned the climb past the water tower.

Mule Hill/Raptor Ridge
According to SDRP, this has been re-opened from the Sunset parking all the way to Ysabel Creek Road. That includes Raptor Ridge. I haven't been up there yet, but I will soon to see how things are. If you've never done this leg, consider it. It's a very easy pedal with lots of flat non-technical, but the last climb to the top is worthy of a few droplets off your brow. Blasting back down is fun too, just be careful of people coming up. Doing the Sunset->Vista out and back adds 10 miles to your trip to Hodges. That means you can get 26+ miles at Hodges with at least one great climb up Bernardo Mtn. They are "easy" miles compared to other destinations, but you can always leave it in a harder gear or pedal faster. :)

Lake Hodges
The upper utility road has been fenced off with "private property" signage. This is a shame since it offers a nice drop into SDRP via the creek crossing, as well as alternate access to Bernardo Mountain. The residents of the area still use the utility road, and now have to cross "closed" trails to access the park. I have some correspondence in with the senior ranger and am waiting for a response regarding this closure.

Upcoming Trail Work Opportunities
North Shore, Lake Hodges: Nov 9
River View/SDRP Headquarters: Dec 14
8am-12pm
http://www.sdrp.org/activities/Fall%20A ... 202008.pdf

More info, http://sdrp.org

The following 3 users would like to thank sladnas for his or her post:
amor587, moondogg, OffRoadie