All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:47 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 229 thanks
Received: 755 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: hmmm, hmmm
Over the past couple of weeks there has been some work done in the Suycott Wash area of Mission Trails Regional park.

This is an area that I have believed for quite a while to be a "diamond in the rough". Yes it is a wash area, there are problems with drainage and trails have been labeled as "unsustainable" (although, as I have stated before, this is the San Diego desert, this isn't Vancouver. When it rains 1" over 12 hours and you haven't had rain in 6 months, you are going to have issues across the board).

Anyway..

I'd like to thank Kim W (of the SDMBA), Ranger Mel, the Urban Corps and the other group of volunteers for improving the trails in Suycott Wash area over the last couple of weeks. Even moreso, some of these people took time out of the work week to make this happen. Huge thanks for that.

I've traded emails with Ranger Mel about this, thanking him and his help. Personally, I think it would be pretty beneficial if others (especially if you ride there!) also expressed their thanks and made it known that they are both thankful for the improvements as well as what the improvements mean to them. (email the park staff, stop by a CAC meeting and note your thanks, let the city know, do whatever you think is appropriate but the more people expressing thanks and interest the better).

Good job guys.

The following 3 users would like to thank ocd for his or her post:
Canaan, moondogg, Phonger
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:54 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
+1. Isn't there a MTRP CAC meeting coming up soon? And wasn't there a promise at the last meeting that someone would look into the City's liability concerns regarding a skills park at MTRP?

With the work that's just been done in Suycott, it seems that now would be the perfect time for the MTRP mountain bikers to show up at the upcoming CAC meeting, say "thanks", and ask what we can do to keep improving the park.

The following user would like to thank Canaan for his or her post:
ocd
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:11 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 229 thanks
Received: 755 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: hmmm, hmmm
Canaan wrote:
+1. Isn't there a MTRP CAC meeting coming up soon? And wasn't there a promise at the last meeting that someone would look into the City's liability concerns regarding a skills park at MTRP?

With the work that's just been done in Suycott, it seems that now would be the perfect time for the MTRP mountain bikers to show up at the upcoming CAC meeting, say "thanks", and ask what we can do to keep improving the park.

Next Tuesday is the next meeting I believe.

I will not be able to attend.

My honest thoughts are that Mel seems to be working on improvement, Tracey is open for improvement (concerning bikes and bike related trails) and certain members of the CAC don't care if another bike ever rolls through "their" park.

Note: not all members seem to feel this way however some have expressed comments that are not very bike friendly and that just doesn't sit well with me.

Currently, my opinion is to revert to focusing on existing trails with hopes of one day getting new trails. I have a bad feeling if there is any leeway on a skills area it will turn into "we gave them that, it was enough"

The grapevine says there may be another group of volunteers available looking for work. Take advantage of the recent improvements, give praise and thanks, show community interest and hopefully draw more staff interest in the bike side of things.

and for everyone (not directed at Canaan)....

LAY OFF THE BRAKESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, dont be a skidiot!

The following user would like to thank ocd for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:26 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
[quote="ocd]Next Tuesday is the next meeting I believe.

Currently, my opinion is to revert to focusing on existing trails with hopes of one day getting new trails. I have a bad feeling if there is any leeway on a skills area it will turn into "we gave them that, it was enough"

The grapevine says there may be another group of volunteers available looking for work. Take advantage of the recent improvements, give praise and thanks, show community interest and hopefully draw more staff interest in the bike side of things.

and for everyone (not directed at Canaan)....

LAY OFF THE BRAKESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, dont be a skidiot![/quote]

Who told you I skid? I don't go fast enough to need to skid. Seriously though, I think the idea of building on the trail repair/improvement momentum, however slight, is a sound strategy. With the financial straits the City is in, and the general opposition of the CAC to cyclists, a major new project such a skills park will likely not happen soon irrespective of anything the MTB community does.

Call me Pollyanna, but if we're appreciative of the small changes and offer our assistance to make more of those, maybe we'll win over some CAC members and get the bigger changes we want further down the road.