It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 912 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: LPQ News
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:57 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9346 thanks
Received: 5395 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
Picked this up from Erik Basil's post in another forum:

Quote:
So, the City has published a huge set of draft docs for the "Del Mar Mesa Preserver/ Carmel Mountain Mesa Preseve Resource Management Plan" and it's just been sprung on us yesterday afternoon (today for email slackers like me). It's almost 400 pages and it's a revision of a plan that provided for heavy restriction of evil mountainbikes (and they hadn't even heard of you 29er freaks yet) and recounted tales of trail destruction and animal maimings by bikers.

If you go to the LPCP-CAC site or the MTC site (click my sig), there are links posted to the mega-docs. I haven't had time to do much more than download and I am not going to be able to review these documents before tomorrow night's CAC meeting when it will be presented.

The short notice is total BS. The last time this dreck was foisted upon us, it was sly like this and we found it to be FULL of anti-multiuse garbage that appeared to literally be commissioned by the hateful types.

I cannot believe the new draft will not have trouble hidden in it and I cannot believe it will adequately discuss Deer Canyon trails or etc... I say that because the most recent '06 draft had ZERO mention of Deer Canyon even though I raised the issue to staff at a public hearing (on some other topic).

So, two things for you, brothers and sisters of the lowest caste:

--Can you d/l the doc and review it asap?
--Can you come to the CAC meeting tomorrow night at 7pm in the Los Pen Ranch House and voice your concern and disatisfaction that July 31st is not enough time for us to review and provide "public comment" on the document?

The second one is of more importance. Come dressed from work, except for those of you that work at The Crypt.

Post subject: Re: LPQ News
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:16 pm 
Loco Artist
Loco Artist

Given: 73 thanks
Received: 158 thanks
wow, they are really gunning for us...its so weird...did you post this on our sister and brother sites? STM and STR? maybe even MTBR?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:11 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 131 thanks
Received: 392 thanks
Bike(s): K2 Zed 4.0
Favorite Trails: San Juan, Caleveras, Nobel
danimal thinks of this with much urgency. can dood get us directions to this place of govt/citizen debate?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:26 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 491 thanks
Received: 481 thanks
I wouldnt jump to conclusions yet without first reading this document. I tried to download from Basil's site but there were too many hoops to jump through. Anyone know how to post it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:44 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Phonger wrote:
I wouldnt jump to conclusions yet without first reading this document. I tried to download from Basil's site but there were too many hoops to jump through. Anyone know how to post it?

You have to jump to a conclusion before jumping through hoops. Besides, jumping to conclusions is what life is about. I mean if we never jumped to conclusions, we would never have invaded Vietnam and look at the boost that gave our zacomedy.

Finger is right though. I could see a bunch of montain bikers in a room full of govt workers and the few elders that get a pass from th enursing home to attend civil meetings. As soon as they start talking, we all boo and hiss shouting "1, 2 ,3, 4 dont chase bikers out the door!!"

The following user would like to thank danimal for his or her post:
Mpmffitz
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:45 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 830 thanks
Received: 521 thanks
Bike(s): Fat Possom
Favorite Trails: The next one
danimal wrote:
Phonger wrote:

You have to jump to a conclusion before jumping through hoops. Besides, jumping to conclusions is what life is about. I mean if we never jumped to conclusions, we would never have invaded Vietnam and look at the boost that gave our zacomedy.

Finger is right though. I could see a bunch of montain bikers in a room full of govt workers and the few elders that get a pass from th enursing home to attend civil meetings. As soon as they start talking, we all boo and hiss shouting "1, 2 ,3, 4 dont chase bikers out the door!!"

Wasn't that the scene in Animal House.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:14 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

You can learn about the CAC, etc. from there.

I copied his comments from STR.

More about the CAC from the MTC site:

Quote:
Can you spare 45 minutes to an hour tomorrow night? Please come to the
LPCP-CAC meeting at 7pm, located in "the historic adobe ranch house" at
Los Pen. We're asking that you make yourself heard in the "Public
Comment" section of the agenda, in regard to the pending City Staff
presentation of the Del Mar Mesa/ Carmel Mtn Mesa Preserve Management
Plan that will take place later in the meeting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:44 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

can someone send it to me...or post it here somewhere?

Last edited by danimal on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:04 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

danimal wrote:
can someone send it to me ... or post it here somewhere?

:thumbsup: you got mail...

I'd take your email off if I were you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:25 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

danimal wrote:
can someone send it to me dan.schonberg@zimmer.com or post it here somewhere?

Here's a direct link to the document:
http://www.sandiego.gov/planning/mscp/p ... rs0111.pdf

And here's my comments posted on the other site.

Finally had a chance to skim this “Management Plan” and here are some of my thoughts:

- The stated purpose of the plan is to “provide guidelines for the protection and maintenance of preserved natural open space on the Carmel Mountain Preserve and the Del Mar Mesa Preserve.” Therefore, it should come to no surprise that the plan provides for no affirmative protections for any of the trail/single-tracks used by mountain bikers. Quite the contrary, the plan allows for the closure/fencing of existing trails to mitigate any perceived environmental impact/damage caused by bikers/hikers/horse riders.

- For a massive 200+ page document, the Plan is remarkably non-specific/non-detailed. As someone mentioned, it does not set forth any specific plans for existing trails in the Mesa or Tunnels. But again, the Plan allows closure/fencing if it is deemed that public use would endanger the habitat. The Plan states that trail closure could be “permanent” if need be. See page 6-7.

- The Plan does try to make mountain bikers seem like the “bad guy.” Here’s one catchy line “Habitat alteration by trespassers is a direct human impact. Unauthorized uses of the preserves, for mountain biking and other potentially destructive sports activities, may be included in this group. These impacts will be concentrated in those areas that are mostaccessible to the general public.”

- Section 9.3.2 (p. 9-10) deals directly with the trails on the Del Mar Mesa. This section mentions the “deep depressions and ruts” made by vehicles during the rain and the illegal cutting of fences to gain access. Most disturbing is this line: “The City anticipates closing and revegetating trails that are not part of the proposed trail system as funding becomes available. If not part of the proposed trail system, trails on private inholdings will be closed if the City acquires the land.” But again, no indication what specific trails will be closed.

Given that mountainbikers have already been painted as a “destructive” force to the LPQ/Del Mar Mesa, there are things all of us should do to minimize that perception like: (1) don’t ride LPQ when/immediately after it rains; (2) don’t cut any of the fences; (3) and don’t widen/create new trails in the area.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:31 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

I didn't make it to the meeting. Thanks to all that showed up. Apparently, it was a success. :cheers:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:49 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

I didnt either i am going to write a solid letter.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:42 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
Apologies in advance for the spamtastic nature of this post (as seen everywhere on the internet), but if we save just one child... you get the idea...

I've received a few emails asking, and that means more would like to know what's coming up regarding the Tunnels, Deer Canyon and/or the "Del Mar Mesa" in San Diego.

If you don't know already, there are a network of trails ...yeah, yeah, yeah You guys all know this... Now, the parcels are part of a package to become part of the City Open Space system and are subject to a Draft Resource Management Plan that doesn't provide for any of them: by implication this means the trails would instantly become illegal, as confirmed by the Deputy Director of Open Space, if this plan were to be adopted as is.

After yeoman's work by Rob Mikuteit to document, record and map all the trails within the Del Mar Mesa RMP area, the Multiuse Trails Coalition and SDMBA have a draft trails plan concept prepared for the entire area to be discussed at the September 18th CAC meeting set for 6:00pm (not 7) at the Canyonside Rec Center (not the ranch house).

It will be prepared for public consumption ASAP. The important thing to know is that the battle for trails access in these areas unfortunately starts from the basis set by the author(s) of the draft RMP: NO TRAILS OTHER THAN THE UTILITY ROAD. The opposite extreme is "any and all trails that are there now".

The position of the involved trail-access advocates is that neither extreme is appropriate, responsible or acceptable. So, we have endeavored to draw up a trails plan that provides loops, access and -- where possible-- Full Multiuse Access for all non-motorized trail users.

This plan will also call for the eradication/closure of many trails in the Deer Canyon area. Some of these trails are obviously junk, others are "wonderful", but all are what the opponents of trail access will argue should be closed (ie part of "all"). You might be surprised to see how many trails are actually in there, right now! When you do, it will be obvious that it's "more than enough".

Please schedule your attendance at the CAC meeting into your calendar, now. Our goal will be to voice our overwhelming community support for an engineered trails system for runners, cyclists and equestrians that will be sustainable, useful and enable San Diegans to access the habitat and environmental amenities that we pay for with our tax dollars. It's not about "recreation" but rather "public access to open space". Please reach out to your neighbors, co-workeers and more: let them know you'll be coming to them with a request that they FAX and Phone local leaders and City staff in support of trails access for our kids, families and future. This applies to equestrians, trail runners, hikers and bikes, equally: we all like and enjoy trails!

The following 3 users would like to thank EBasil for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, Ld00d, luna
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:43 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

This is obviously a very important issue and I'll try to be there. Strength in numbers!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:10 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 223 thanks
Received: 848 thanks
Bike(s): IH 6.6 & Sunday,Giant XTC
Favorite Trails: Any ST with nice flow.
Thanks Erik for posting that up. I know LPQ is one of our favorite places to ride.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 912 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 61  Next