It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: LPQ News
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:58 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 491 thanks
Received: 481 thanks
You're kidding, right?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:49 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 86 thanks
Received: 71 thanks
Bike(s): Mission
Favorite Trails: Singletrack
What a waste of park funds to close it and pay to patrol it. What a joke!

The following user would like to thank Supple1 for his or her post:
sik sd
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:05 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 27 thanks
Received: 17 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti sb130,Spot29SS,Moots Rt45
Favorite Trails: PQ,ATT,Syc,LaCosta
i'm guessing most have seen this by now from eMTyBeeR by Bankerboy:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p ... ost5177779

I just got back from the trails. I ran into Ranger Washington and had a long chat with her.

Effective today (12/12/200 ALLTUNNEL TRAILS ARE OFF LIMIT!
Notice I did not say closed. These limits are in place until the trail presentation in January. The rangers will be out in force starting tonight issuing warnings and ultimately trespassing summons.

There will also be signage posted at all the major entrances outlining only the legal trails.

Ranger Washington will be releasing an official notice to us today. She was very clear to me that these are temporary measures until the committees complete the planning. None of the trail coverage could not be undone if they deem a trail part of the plan. Right now we are limited to the existing access road only.

Now before you go off the deep end about "we should have not said anything and the trails would have remained" use a little logic. There are too many people who knew about these trails before they were "outed". Sooner or later they would have been found out about. Since all these trails are not sanctioned, they are illegal. The most logical path would have been to close them. This is not what is happening now.

The trail report (what ever you want to call it) is due in January. While we will loose many trails, the fact remains that legally none of them should have existed. The truth is we will come out with a handful of trails that are now recognized by the Rangers, CAC, and others as legal, sustainable trails.

For now, please heed the trail limits. This is not a time to make any more bad waves with the stewards.

Sorry for the temporary bad news but Janauary is our month."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:08 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 62 thanks
Received: 154 thanks
Favorite Trails: narrow
so am I safe in assuming that the uncovered single tracks and fireroads will remain open?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:26 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 153 thanks
Received: 133 thanks
Bike(s): KHS ST Team, Raleigh XXIX
Figures...mark my words: these trails will not ne re-opened. I seriously hope I get to eat my words.

This fahquing sucks. :evil:

http://www.ericpalmerendurancecoaching.blogspot.com

The following user would like to thank Zippy for his or her post:
sik sd
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:28 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 27 thanks
Received: 17 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti sb130,Spot29SS,Moots Rt45
Favorite Trails: PQ,ATT,Syc,LaCosta
^^^^What he said^^^^

The following user would like to thank sik sd for his or her post:
Zippy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:49 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2093 thanks
Received: 1460 thanks
Bike(s): Sirens: Song and John Henry
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca
What is most odd is that there is nothing about this closure on the LPCPCAC message board. I would have thought that a decision to close off the entire region for about a month would have been on that site.

I'm pissed. :evil: :evil: :evil: One rogue horses-ass cuts down a bunch of trees and ruins it for everyone.

Anyone know of a restaraunt that serves horse burgers? Particularly well done? :flame: I'm getting hungry!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:03 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

From rodster at mtbr:
"Just caught Erik's posting on the Multi-Use Trails Group page.

"You may already know, or this may come as a surprise, but I'm sure it's
shocking either way: today, on December 12th, Ranger Washington
installed trail closure signs on every single trail that's on or crosses
City land in and around Deer Canyon. This is at the direction of Chris
Zirkle, Deputy Director of Parks, Open Space Division-- the head honcho
at Open Space.

This morning, I received a call from Mr. Zirkle and City Trails
Coordinator Rick Thompson, and they informed me that Gina was out
installing the signs, for the purpose of closing all trails to
"recreational users". The only trails not closed are either those not
on City land or the SDGE fire road. According to Mr. Zirkle, his
division's duyt to maintain and protect the resources in the MSCP area
can only be served by a full and complete trail closure. Zirkle claims
this action is "not punitive" but that if trail users don't abide by the
edict, that this will show that the whole area should be closed forever.

The discussions went much further, although I unfortunately had very
limited time. I pleaded with Rick and Chris not to do this, and asked
them why they would declare war on the very people that both informed
them of the vandalism on Tunnel 5 and that are volunteering to help them
patrol and preserve the area. "Why make 100 enemies when you could
reach out and make 1000 allies?" I asked. I offered, if they would
forego the closure, to assemble a trail patrol with BSA insurance (we'll
form an Explorer Troop) and have it in place by Monday. I asked how
they intend to ever enforce such a ban, and suggested that their only
answer must be "people on the ground". I offered that, whoever would be
on the ground to enforce closures could be on the ground to seek/pursue
the vandals AND could be working with 50 trail stewards by next week.

Zirkle's reply is that he'd like us to form the patrol so that we can
help enforce the closures. I'm deeply frustrated, offended and
dismayed. I feel as though the broader reaction by the trails community
will be of disgust and that those of us that have worked with the City,
sought and encouraged others to work with the system, will be tarnished
and discredited for having trusted Administrators with such defective
judgement and aggresive leanings. Don't be fooled: the opponents of
Multiuse just Won a Huge Freebie. You're a criminal now, and the real
criminals aren't even on their radar: Chris Zirkle and Rick told me
they "have no reason at all to believe the vandalism was by
equestrians." IF you stay off the trails, this proves that vandalism
works. If you don't stay off the trails, this proves that you should be
banned from them. Brilliant.""

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:10 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 249 thanks
Received: 694 thanks
Bike(s): S-Works 29er Niner Air9 Masi
Favorite Trails: All of them
OhNooo wrote:
Anyone know of a restaraunt that serves horse burgers? Particularly well done? :flame: I'm getting hungry!

Many countries around the world eat horse, I am not sure why we don't in the US. I had it in Japan and it was great. Italy, France, Canada, Mexico, Belgium, Germany, Iceland, Austria, Chile, and many more all eat horse meat.

For more info on eating horse look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsemeat

Oh yeah, the closure of the Tunnels saddens me. I agree with Zippy also, I don't see them ever opening them back up. All these people saying,"Don't ride them, you'll give us a bad name." Get the fuck over it, ride it now and get your warning ticket and say bye bye to the Tunnels. Looks like I won't be riding LPQ ever again. I am not going to drive 20+ minutes to ride some fire road and a minute amount of singletrack.

Help support the NSW Flyin' Frogs, Phoenix Patriot Foundation and save 10% off your order simply by entering PPF as the discount code at http://www.infinitnutrition.us/. Another 10% will be donated back to PPF.

The following user would like to thank jonathan_sykes81 for his or her post:
sladnas
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:23 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

If they only put half this effort into stopping people from dumping their stolen cars there!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:45 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 30 thanks
Received: 126 thanks
Bike(s): 08 Cervelo R3 00 Homegrown
Too bad last night was my first time in Tunnels. Atleast she was a good one night stand...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:16 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2184 thanks
Received: 1791 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt
First off, thanks to bankerboy for getting this new out so fast. I was working on putting together some facts yesterday, but he's covered them pretty well. Gina's official message is at the end of this, but I wanted to put some thoughts together.

There's a lot of other misinformation and conspiracy theories being passed around here and elsewhere, and I'd just ask that everyone remain calm for now, and let's see how the trail plan emerges in a couple months. Again, it will now be FEBRUARY, not January that the trail plan comes out. And don't be surprised if it gets delayed again. There is a reasonable plan being proposed, and another that is worrisome, but as Gina says, the agencies need to sign off on it. This adds a level of complication that is not typical. As mentioned, Tunnel 5 is not part of it and unfortunately will never be approved as a trail. I've spoken with Rick Thompson at length, and believe that there is no change in the goal to create an enjoyable, sustainable trail plan for all to enjoy. But Del Mar Mesa is unique as a "core habitat" area.

Some notes:
- Your help staying off trails that are posted as such is CRUCIAL right now.
- Sensitive habitat was being damaged and the city was forced to take action to prevent further degradation. They are legally required to protect it.
- Showing restraint now will prove the resources can be protected and recreational use can be managed.
- Please pass the closure information on to everyone you know who may plan to ride or hike here.
- Removing signs will only create friction for all involved.
- The property ownership maps in the RMP and being posted here appear to be outdated, so don't rely on them. Please just obey the posted signs.
- We are lucky to have many other options for riding nearby: Peñasquitos Canyon, Black Mountain, Carmel Mountain, Rose Canyon, San Clemente Canyon, Tecolote Canyon, Lake Hodges and on and on. This is a good time to explore them if you haven't.

There are also a lot of complaints about houses being built nearby, etc. This isn't up to the people managing open space. Many people have fought long and hard to preserve these areas, and for the most part it wasn't us. If we want more open space and would like it to feature multiuse trails, here are four immediate things we can all do:

- Join SDMBA, as mentioned here repeatedly. http://sdmba.com
- Join IMBA, because we don't just ride in San Diego, do we? http://www.imba.com
- Join the Multi-Use Trails Coalition. It's free and it comprises 50% of the voting seats on the Los Pen CAC that are designated for "bike organizations" (since it's pro-multiuse ). http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MultiUseTrails/
- Join the San Dieguito River Valley Conservancy. They are purchasing land from people who might put more of those big houses on the ridgelines and converting it to open space featuring a multiuse trail system from the coast to Vulcan Mountain. http://www.sdrvc.org
- Join the Nature Conservancy. Again, this is how land that might be developed is being protected for everyone. No guarantee the land will feature trails for us, but if there's no land left there won't be the luxury of that option. http://www.nature.org

Remember guys, this is about more than you or I or mountain biking, hiking or riding a horse. The first goal must be to protect the land. The quality of the trails here is incredible and unmatched in the vicinity, and some will be lost in the end. We need to focus on keeping a reasonable amount here and creating or improving surrounding trails systems to match the quality experience on Del Mar Mesa and Tunnels.

Let's work together on it.

Rob

Gina's message:

Hi everyone, by now I’m sure you’ve heard of the decision to post as off limits, to everyone (bike, hike and horse), everything in Del Mar Mesa Preserve except for the road (it is still open for access). This decision was made to lessen the ongoing impacts to the land. The environmental regulation agencies (state and feds) will make the final call on what trails are maintained and which are rehabilitated. The SDMBA/Multi-use Trails Coalition made their presentation, and then the City Trail Manager and I had to whittle that down b/c there were still too many trails proposed so we made our recommendations and now they are being considered by the environmental regulation agencies based on sustainability, safety and compatibility with the goals of the Natural Resource Management Plan.

This decision is not being motivated or swayed by any other reason than the mandates we have to protect the resources from development or overuse. I have just learned that the final trail plan approval deadline has been moved back to February. I know this is a disappointment but your cooperation during this time is appreciated.

I have attached a Google map of the three separate, yet adjacent, Preserves that are under my jurisdiction. These are rough boundaries of what are known as Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve, Carmel Mountain Preserve and Del Mar Mesa Preserve. Within all of these Preserves are different property owners. I would like to speak specifically to Del Mar Mesa Preserve. The City of San Diego owns 234 acres of the publicly owned lands within the boundary of Del Mar Mesa Preserve. The County of San Diego, US Fish & Wildlife, and California Department of Fish & Game own parts of the other 163 acres. There are a few private property parcels with in the boundary of DMM Preserve, some of that land will be deeded over to the City of San Diego in the future as protected land and it is imperative that the habitat be intact (meaning not bisected by unauthorized use). Each property owner is responsible for the maintenance of their land. Most of the trash left over from the illegal encampments is on private property; I cannot authorize or organize cleanups on private property. The Natural Resource Management plan that is being developed outlines goals for the improvement and preservation of this land. A few of the other private parcels may be developed in the future, but that is not absolute in either direction. The NRMP has within its framework the concept of a onsite Land Manager to oversee the day to day management of all the land within the boundary of the Preserve.

All of this information is available in the Natural Resource Management Plan, I would recommend every one that is interested give the whole thing a glance, I think you’ll all be pleased with the overall purpose of the plan as stated in Chapter One “This plan has been prepared to provide guidelines for the protection and maintenance of the preserved natural open space... The natural open space of the Preserves harbors extremely sensitive and depleted vegetation communities and species unique to the San Diego region. The Preserves also act to protect the quality of life for residents of San Diego County and the quality of the experience for visitors by adding to the feeling of openness and interaction with nature that San Diego fosters.” http://www.sandiego.gov/planning/mscp

I know we are all feeling the loss of access in all area of San Diego County, combine the wildfires and development with federal mandates and you have limited areas to recreate. Despite this loss however, I am asking your cooperation in making our three Preserves the best place to live, work and recreate. I appreciate the great response to the call for volunteer patrol, I am working on putting together the training for that to get those interested trained and ready. Thank you again, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me or stop me when you see me on the trail. If I can’t answer your question or concern I will connect you with who can. I just want all of you to know that I really enjoy where I get to work and when I meet you on the trail it is a real pleasure to talk to you and hear how much you love this place too.

FYI the clouds are building, it looks like rain. Be on the lookout for rain closures…

Gina Washington
Senior Park Ranger
City of San Diego, Open Space Division
858.538.8066 (PH)
858.536.8334 (FAX)

Attachments:
Three Preserves.jpg
Three Preserves.jpg [ 774.19 KiB | Viewed 13979 times ]

Last edited by Robo on Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The following 4 users would like to thank Robo for his or her post:
b5driver, moondogg, Supple1, 406
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:52 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Rob,

Major thanks for continually being a leader on this issue. I think we all really appreciate it!

The following 2 users would like to thank Supple1 for his or her post:
moondogg, Robo
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:46 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 722 thanks
Received: 974 thanks
Bike(s): Stumpy FSR/Mary SS
Favorite Trails: Undecided
Not to split hairs, but it's hard to tell from the map. The fireroad coming from Santa Luz that bisects the DMM preserve is still open, correct?

And what about Cobbles and Shits, are they still open?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:08 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2184 thanks
Received: 1791 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt
Brian wrote:
Not to split hairs, but it's hard to tell from the map. The fireroad coming from Santa Luz that bisects the DMM preserve is still open, correct?

And what about Cobbles and Shits, are they still open?

Yes, the fireroad coming from McGonigle Canyon to the north and into Deer Canyon and up, up, up to the mesa, then over to "The Preserve" lots is open. From there, Gina has highlighted the "Del Mar Mesa Multi-Use Trail" that parallels the road and heads west into the Del Mar Mesa community, and Power Poles going down into Peñasquitos Canyon. For some reason, she has NOT highlighted the road heading to Sh*ts, Duck Pond Trail and Cobbles as being an open route. I won't be able to get out there until after the rains to check it out, but if signage is posted there, same rules apply. That is still part of Del Mar Mesa Preserve, but I would see so reason to shut that portion down. I'll try and get clarification.

The following user would like to thank Robo for his or her post:
Brian
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 61  Next