It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: LPQ News
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:46 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 223 thanks
Received: 848 thanks
Bike(s): IH 6.6 & Sunday,Giant XTC
Favorite Trails: Any ST with nice flow.
Little Waimea & Eucalyptus are my standard routes, yes I road ride too cherry hill rd & then turn right, then a right onto the trailhead, but that route has some great challenging climb feature in it.

Who doesn't love bombing down Waimea, that is that cat's meow,IMO that's the best trail at LPQ.

Simply put they need to open up some trails, in the middle.

Tunnels is cool, but LPQ definitely has more to offer, that place is a diamond in the rough. Yes, it's smaller now to construction, but MTB'ers no how to utilize what space they're given eg. La Costa.

I hope that other new trails open in the middle of LPQ, besides the Tunnels.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:57 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9440 thanks
Received: 5398 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
luna wrote:
Little Waimea & Eucalyptus are my standard routes, yes I road ride too cherry hill rd & then turn right, then a right onto the trailhead, but that route has some great challenging climb feature in it.

Who doesn't love bombing down Waimea, that is that cat's meow,IMO that's the best trail at LPQ.

Simply put they need to open up some trails, in the middle.

Tunnels is cool, but LPQ definitely has more to offer, that place is a diamond in the rough. Yes, it's smaller now to construction, but MTB'ers no how to utilize what space they're given eg. La Costa.

I hope that other new trails open in the middle of LPQ, besides the Tunnels.

don't forget about lopez canyon.

this whole thing has been really bumming me out. first intestines, and now this.

you broke my heart lpq!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:08 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 56 thanks
Received: 73 thanks
Bike(s): Maverick ML8
Favorite Trails: Fruita/Grand Junction dirt
So, I'm rather confussed as to what is and is not availible to ride out there. I was granted a kitchen pass and fella's guess what?! I've got a fever, and the only prescription... is more LQP! I tried some cowbell and that didn't work out.

BUT, I do not know my way around there at all. Anyone what to ride this Sat. say around 9am

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:27 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 836 thanks
Received: 362 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti 575
Favorite Trails: singletrack
Jimmy Snooka wrote:

BUT, I do not know my way around there at all. Anyone what to ride this Sat. say around 9am

Not sure it will be tried out by Saturday. Right now the trails are closed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:10 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 86 thanks
Received: 71 thanks
Bike(s): Mission
Favorite Trails: Singletrack
I received this email back today:

"Thank you for your email, and please accept my apologies for the delayed reply. My name is Travis Knowles and I handle environmental issues for Councilmember Gloria. Councilmember Gloria believes that environmental ethics can only be built through interaction with nature and so he generally supports increased access of hikers and mountain bikers to our local state parks. I have passed on your concerns about the closure of the trails at Del Mar Mesa Preserve.

Kind Regards,

Travis Knowles

Travis Knowles

Council Representative

San Diego Councilmember Todd Gloria"

Keep on battling for tunnels, we have not lost them yet!

The following user would like to thank Supple1 for his or her post:
moondogg
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:46 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

That's cool you got a response, any word what month they're going to have the LPQ meeting.

The following user would like to thank luna for his or her post:
EBasil
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:29 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
The date of the LPQ meeting that you're referring to is "floating" right now. They've tentatively extended the completion date of the RMP to February, and that would mean the March CAC meeting. But, if the date wavers past the beginning of March... could mean the May CAC, since they meet every other month (or, we could call a special meeting).

Significantly, the City now CONFIRMS that the trails plan, regardless of its content, will go to the Del Mar Mesa Planning Board for final review and approval. This is the DMM PB chaired by the fellow quoted in recent articles and he's joined by 3-5 fellow members that are more anti-bike than he is.

Several months ago, I put out the word: we need DMM residents that are pro-multiuse to step up. The next meeting is January 8th, and that will be their first chance to attend a DMM PB and provide public input. "Speak now, or forever hold your peace".

The following 2 users would like to thank EBasil for his or her post:
dirtmonger, moondogg
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:27 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

So the date keeps getting pushed back? I thought it was Jan. :?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:06 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Yep, pushed to February (at least). This is not all bad: since we now have time for a level of advocacy we haven't gone to on this one so far: your councilmembers, the mayor and the Fed & State reps to whom the agencies with land in Deer Canyon might be more responsive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:27 pm 
Darth Monger
Darth Monger

Given: 731 thanks
Received: 641 thanks
Bike(s): Firebird, Stumpy, Glory
Favorite Trails: off limits
luna wrote:

Thanks for showing me that trail, luna. I agree, that is a nice trail. Will it remain open and would you host another Tuesday crowd on occasion? Tunnels was great to train yourself on bike handling. I have not seen anything that quite compares to T5 (but given the limited trails I've been on that probably doesn't mean much). It was just the constant challenge to duck, evade trees, hop over ruts and shift you weight that I found very helpful to build my skills. It's a sore loss...

DM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:21 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
EBasil wrote:
Significantly, the City now CONFIRMS that the trails plan, regardless of its content, will go to the Del Mar Mesa Planning Board for final review and approval. This is the DMM PB chaired by the fellow quoted in recent articles and he's joined by 3-5 fellow members that are more anti-bike than he is.

This is the board Erik is talking about:

http://www.lisaross.com/html/CVNewsCols/dmmesa.pdf

This bloody coup, as Dan Lorek said on another site, was about when things started going downhill there.

Gaming the System 101. These guys taught the course.

I'm feeling it's going to be an uphill battle.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:09 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

dirtmonger wrote:
Thanks for showing me that trail, luna. I agree, that is a nice trail. Will it remain open and would you host another Tuesday crowd on occasion? Tunnels was great to train yourself on bike handling. I have not seen anything that quite compares to T5 (but given the limited trails I've been on that probably doesn't mean much). It was just the constant challenge to duck, evade trees, hop over ruts and shift you weight that I found very helpful to build my skills. It's a sore loss...

DM

That route was shown to me by the legendary Ldood. It was my first time there, & basically the route I usually take every time I ride there.

The following user would like to thank luna for his or her post:
Ld00d
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:54 pm 
Darth Monger
Darth Monger

Given: 731 thanks
Received: 641 thanks
Bike(s): Firebird, Stumpy, Glory
Favorite Trails: off limits
So, is that a yes? ;-) I'll try not to crash on my next ride out with you...

Or will the the legend have to be summoned?

DM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:16 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Thank you to everyone that came out for the Volunteer Patrol Training conducted by the City Rangers this last Saturday! We had 15 members of our trails community come out for the day of training, including three of our friends from Canyonside Stables and a large group of canyon and preserve lovers that will participate as foot and bike patrol. Thanks also to my fellow members of the LPCP-CAC that approved the funding of lunch for the "students" and instructors. I'm happy to say we fed over 20 people for much less than our budget cap (Treasurer speaking here...)

This was the first "half" of the training required (the other half is CPR/First Aid/AED) for participation in the LPCP Volunteer Patrol and there will be another offered for those that couldn't make this date. The course covered radio protocol and some interactive scenarios that allowed us to use the radios in simulated situations. If you're a member of the LPCP-CAC, I renew my special invitation to you. The Volunteer Patrol functions much like "mobile docents" and provides both a friendly face to preserve visitors and eyes and ears of the community to our Rangers.

By completing this course, the City considers you to be "trained" for volunteer patrol in any open space park, subject to interaction with the Ranger(s) in those parks. This is significant, for two reasons: First, whether you're hike/bike or horse-based, this course enables you to apply and participate around the City. Second, our friends at SDMBA have been working with the City to create a cooperative project with IMBA's "National Mountain Bike Patrol". Now this only applies to cyclists, but the hope is that SDMBA can use its reach to draw more of the community into volunteerism with our Rangers via this well-known, national program. If the City is receptive, completion of this City Volunteer Patrol course patrollers satisfies one of the IMBA requirements set forth below:

IMBA/NMBP Patroller Membership
There are three mandatory requirements for membership as a patroller:
1. Current certification in basic first aid and CPR.
2. Successful completion of any of the following courses:
* A mountain bike patrol training course (taught by a local NMBP-affiliated group).
* A volunteer host training program (taught by local land manager).
* A ski area specific mountain bike patroller training (taught by a local ski area management or ski patrol).
3. A passing grade on the NMBP Patroller online certification exam
SDMBA is apparently putting together an NMBP course for March '09, but the catch is that the City Rangers STILL need cyclists to go through their training program, so those of you cyclists that either did the course this last Saturday or are signed/signing up with LPCP Ranger Washington for the next "Patrol Training" date will have a leg up on that requirement and maybe be a great resource for SDMBA, too. Further, if you're in the LPQ program, we'll get you your CPR/First Aid/AED training for FREE (I will ask the CAC to pay for lunch again, too).

If you're a hiker/runner/horser, then the NMBP thing doesn't matter and the Volunteer Patrol at LPQ is still looking for you to come out! This program is totally "front loaded" with training and "joint patrols" between new members and the few "Veterans" we have left, but the rewards for all parties are worth it. Our committement is four hours (ie one patrol) per month and you'll find it's a great excuse to visit places and people in the Preserves that you might not otherwise experience. As one of the "veteran patrol" members that Ranger Washington requires new members to ride/roll/walk with this means I will have plenty of opportunity to meet and wheeze along with you if you're
interested to get your first two patrols in with me (2 "joint patrols" are required) after completing all your requirements. We've also got at least one equestrian "veteran" ready and willing for either equestrian pairs or joint bike/horse patrol, too.

Erik Basil
Treasurer, LPCP-CAC
Member, LPCP Volunteer Patrol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:41 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 126 thanks
Received: 223 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis Mojo SL (650b)
Favorite Trails: Thunder Mountain, MRT
Erik,

It was nice meeting you on Saturday at the Patrol Training. Thanks again for setting up lunch and rallying the troops.

I'm also interested in the National MTB Patrol, but may not be able to make the SDMBA training on March 7th. Do you know off hand if the training we received through LPQ is sufficient for membership in the National Patrol, or is that a SDMBA question/issue?

Thanks again,

-James

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 61  Next