PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:08 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
From SDMBA's North County Coastal Liason:

"Here's a great chance to weigh in on what's happening to trails in Calavera. I've walked/ridden the proposed trail system, and it is basically is a loop around the lake with a couple of spurs to the south. Based on what I experienced, we need to advocate for the following:

1) Bikes are currently restricted to Class "B" trails that are 4-6 feet wide, and forbidden on Class "C" trail that are 2-4 feet wide. We need to advocate for access to Class C trails!

2) Trails to the east, south-east, and south boundaries of Calavera are to be closed, eliminating important linkages between Calavera and Oceanside, and Calavera and Dept of Fish and Game land to the south (our favorite trails)

ATTEND:

Aug 13 Thurs 7 - 8 PM

Public Meeting on Lake Calavera Trails Plan

The revised plan for public trails in the Lake Calavera area is now out for public comment. This area has been officially closed to public use. Finalizing this plan is the first step toward re-opening it so everyone can again enjoy this very special area. This is your chance to see the plan and share your thoughts and suggestions. Meeting will be held in the conference room at the Carlsbad Safety Center at 2560 Orion Way ( off Faraday near El Camino Real ). Full plans can be seen at the Dove or Cole libraries. The environmental report can be found on the city website at http://www.carlsbadca.gov/planning/noticendpdf/hmp0905.eia.pdf
Deadline for comments is August 23, 2009."

The following 7 users would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
jabantik, Kimba, ocd, OldDogDan, Red Hot Sloth, Robo, 406
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:05 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 229 thanks
Received: 755 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: hmmm, hmmm
good job.

Respectful and firm public opinions matter to some of the people in charge.

I imagine O'side and Carlsbad will be fairly well represented given the riders in those areas. Nothing means more than LOCAL riders input!

The following 2 users would like to thank ocd for his or her post:
moondogg, Robo
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:57 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Thanks! The link has changed. I found the documents here:

http://www.carlsbadca.gov/planning/4negdeclaration.html

Unfortunately for me attending this meeting, I should be on vacation Thurs nite if all goes well...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:39 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 8 thanks
Received: 226 thanks
Bike(s): Fisher HiFi Pro 29
Favorite Trails: Sycamore Canyon (SD)
Locals, please show up. City of Carlsbad will listen to residents (voters) more than anyone else.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:21 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Interesting meeting tonight. Good representation from MTB's and saw DT's own Danimal. The trail plan for the City of Carlsbad portion of Calavera can be found here (page 4). If your favorite trail is not on the plan, it won't be legal and may be subject to active rehabilitation. A group of SDMBA members and concerned Calavera riders will be preparing a response to the City of Carlsbad requesting the addition of some of the primo singletrack, particularly in the south portion of their parcel. If you would like to be included in the discussion, would be willing to send the final comments to the City of Carlsbad or have your name added to the signature of the document, shoot me a PM.

Nothing in the plan effects the trails on Calavera Mountain, the DFG land or anything in the "Back 40".

:cheers: (Damn this Boddington's tastes good)

The following 5 users would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
Big Clyde, Brian, Red Hot Sloth, Robo, 406
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:52 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 722 thanks
Received: 974 thanks
Bike(s): Stumpy FSR/Mary SS
Favorite Trails: Undecided
Couldn't make the meeting, glad you are representing us Matt.

I wish I had something constructive to say about the trail plan other than it expectedly sucks. And it's not really the trails that are excluded but the philosophy/decision by the City that only hikers be allowed on trails between 2-6' and MTB on 4-8'. IMO, this is the battle to fight. Adding more S/T to the plan now under this philosophy really doesn't do us much good.

What ever happened with CNLM managing a piece of this pie?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:33 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Brian wrote:
Couldn't make the meeting, glad you are representing us Matt.

I wish I had something constructive to say about the trail plan other than it expectedly sucks. And it's not really the trails that are excluded but the philosophy/decision by the City that only hikers be allowed on trails between 2-6' and MTB on 4-8'. IMO, this is the battle to fight. Adding more S/T to the plan now under this philosophy really doesn't do us much good.

What ever happened with CNLM managing a piece of this pie?

-The exclusion of bikes on the less than 4' trails is going to be a big part of the response. Last night the City of Carlsbad said the hiker only trails were "negotiable." If you look at the trails plan the hiker only trails are not ridden much anyway. However, that is not the point. Exclusion of one user group just isn't right. The closing of some trails to bikes will lead to a negative reaction from the user group creating enforcement problems on the closed high quality trails and this will be explained to the City of Carlsbad.

-The singletrack added would be multi-use, but trails historically used by bikes. The walkers will continue their fastest way from point A to point B mentality. My philosophy is they will have a much better chance of enforcing the trail closures (many of which are justified) if they make some concessions as well. If not....well we all know what will happen.

-CNLM has been brought in by the City to manage the preserve. They were at the meeting last night. The good thing about CNLM is they know what it takes to enforce a plan like this and don't want to play the cat and mouse game with trail users. Put up a fence, cut through the fence, put up a bigger fence, ride around the fence. They know what mountain bikers bring to the table in terms of trailwork and cooperation. If we make solid suggestions that make sense in terms of the trails plan and habitat I think they will have our back.

The following 6 users would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
Big Clyde, Brian, Canaan, OldDogDan, Red Hot Sloth, Robo
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:46 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 722 thanks
Received: 974 thanks
Bike(s): Stumpy FSR/Mary SS
Favorite Trails: Undecided
Good stuff. Like I said, I'm glad you're the one representing us on this. I will try to make the next meeting and bring something positive to say. :cheers:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:37 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 131 thanks
Received: 392 thanks
Bike(s): K2 Zed 4.0
Favorite Trails: San Juan, Caleveras, Nobel
I wish I would have gotten involved a long time ago. Without money for mitigation, it seems that we are too late to save the singletrack. I do understand thoug. you have roadrunners, rattlesnakes, coyotes, gnatcatchers that need to thrive too. Its sad that we wont have sweet st there anymore. I feel really bad for people who grew up here. But shit, a person is good. people f**k s**t up usually. Garbage and new trails etc, not good. But it IS a "preserve" so i can deal. Will have to anyway. The best thing I can think is at least theyre not putting up houses.

however, i did like being at a meeting and even though im too late to make a difference, im going to join sdmba's goal of finding a mtn bike only trail somewhere in the county. think about it, every sport and game has its own court or field somewhere in the county. So with that argument, we can probably cement a place for us. Nobel? Why not? Its too gnarly for hikers and horses...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:26 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

SDMBA's response to the Calavera Master Trails Plan is complete. Comments are due no later than Monday 8/24. PM me your e-mail if you are a Carlsbad resident or Calavera rider. I will provide the comment letter, bullet points and contact info. We need as many people as possible to submit comments to have the best chance at saving some singletrack. Thanks.

The following 3 users would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
Marla, Red Hot Sloth, 406
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:47 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Buh - BUMP!

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
moondogg
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:10 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 159 thanks
Received: 113 thanks
Bike(s): Ellsworth Epiphany
Favorite Trails: SDG&E easements
Thanks for the info moondogg, I sent my email (and my 2 cents) in tonight.

The following 2 users would like to thank Marla for his or her post:
moondogg, OldDogDan