All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:20 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 442 thanks
Received: 2590 thanks
Bike(s): RIP9, Nomad
Favorite Trails: Backcountry
Aug 2009 Delince magazine has a 2 page article on Amy Cone trying to get a bike park built in Snow Summit. For those out of the loop, it hits the major facts why DH is not allowed at Snow Summit. Since the Snow Summit Board of Directors won't give her the time of day, she's taken the approach of going to the town businesses since they're the ones who have lost the most money from Snow Summit and have the most to gain. Obviously it's a long uphill battle like anything else pertaining to trails in California.

The following 3 users would like to thank GP_pilot for his or her post:
Canaan, DHP, moondogg
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:59 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 229 thanks
Received: 755 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: hmmm, hmmm
GP_pilot wrote:
Aug 2009 Delince magazine has a 2 page article on Amy Cone trying to get a bike park built in Snow Summit. For those out of the loop, it hits the major facts why DH is not allowed at Snow Summit. Since the Snow Summit Board of Directors won't give her the time of day, she's taken the approach of going to the town businesses since they're the ones who have lost the most money from Snow Summit and have the most to gain. Obviously it's a long uphill battle like anything else pertaining to trails in California.

I love this chick/girl/lady/whatever.

None of the bullshit "I'm with this group, I'm with that group, blah blah blah"

She has taken it upon herself to do everything she can to bring DH back to Summit/Big Bear. One single person with a goal, like her or not, promoting her passion.

Take notes people, this is what the community is going to NEED in the long run.

The following 2 users would like to thank ocd for his or her post:
Canaan, PacMan
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:53 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
ocd wrote:
GP_pilot wrote:

I love this chick/girl/lady/whatever.

None of the bullshit "I'm with this group, I'm with that group, blah blah blah"

She has taken it upon herself to do everything she can to bring DH back to Summit/Big Bear. One single person with a goal, like her or not, promoting her passion.

Take notes people, this is what the community is going to NEED in the long run.

+1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:04 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
I don't want to rain on the parade but... which entity is it with the USFS permits for the slopes at Bear Mtn and Snow Summit?

Is the article online?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:35 pm 
DT Martyr
DT Martyr

Given: 344 thanks
Received: 194 thanks
Bike(s): It's blue.
Favorite Trails: The ones with dirt.
http://www.bearvalleytrailriders.org/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:12 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 380 thanks
Received: 271 thanks
Bike(s): Jamis Dakar XAM II
Favorite Trails: Slickrock-Moab
Just read the article yesterday. Unfortunately, it really sounds like it's a one (wo)man show at this point. Not to mention the fuckstick GM of the resort that won't even give her the time of day.

The 6" travel and 34 lb weight limit is bullshit too. Talk about a rule that just paints a WIDE brushstroke. Sure, I've got a bike with 8" of travel up front and the thing weighs over 34 lbs (primarily because it's an XL to begin with), but I don't ride like an idiot and frankly, would probably be one of the slowest people on the mountain anyway. To say that you can't ride in a park just because of the 'specifications' of the bike you ride is mindless, if not completely laughable. Which, by the way, kind of brings us full-circle to where I believe this article is trying to go...........education. And it's clear that there is plenty of learning to be done by many of the principals in charge of significant (if not all) decision-making.

Regardless, I love her tenacity and stick-toitness and am hopeful that other parties with a bit more weight (political, financial or otherwise) will step in to lend a hand.