All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:18 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 229 thanks
Received: 755 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: hmmm, hmmm
Passing this word on as an individual, no affiliation with any groups.

Tuesday 6:30 PM at the MTRP Vis center, CAC meeting.

Show up at 6:25, request to Dorothy Leonard or whoever is running the meeting that you want to make "non agenda public comment"

Express you opinion in a short, respectable manner concerning the trails and trail access for bikes in the park.

You can have a seat after this and listen to the other topics or you can simply thank them and walk out.

Bottom line is, once the slip is completed and the public comment is made, it goes on record and in the minutes. One is on record from the last meeting, concerning the water authority closures and the like. One or two of the same faces and voices isn't leading anywhere. I'm not asking for helmet and fair access signs, I am asking that others who ride and would like to see better access and trails show up, make a comment, leave if they would like. If you are from the local area it is all the better.

thanks

The following 2 users would like to thank ocd for his or her post:
Canaan, moondogg
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:26 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
I'll put it in my calendar and plan to be there. If you would like to attend but can't, post up points you would like made. I can't promise I'll cover them all, but I'm happy to voice your concern at the meeting if it's a position I can endorse.

That being said, I agree with ocd that the more warm bodies we bring to the meeting, the better.

The following 2 users would like to thank Canaan for his or her post:
moondogg, ocd
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:21 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

ocd wrote:
Passing this word on as an individual, no affiliation with any groups.

Tuesday 6:30 PM at the MTRP Vis center, CAC meeting.

One or two of the same faces and voices isn't leading anywhere. I'm not asking for helmet and fair access signs, I am asking that others who ride and would like to see better access and trails show up, make a comment, leave if they would like. If you are from the local area it is all the better.

thanks

OCD -- It was nice meeting you last night. Let's hope that we can build some momentum on the skills park issue. It is certainly positive that the skills park is going to be an agenda item at the next MTRP Citizens Advisory Committee meeting. I really think that Washington Street Skatepark is the model to follow once the CAC is engaged. What's clear to me from my attendance last night is that a greater mountain biking community presence at these meetings is necessary if anything is going to change. This park belongs to us as much as anyone, but we're nameless, faceless, and voiceless users until we consistently, and in significant numbers, show up at these meetings and tell the CAC what we want and why it's good for the community at large to give it to us.

The following user would like to thank Canaan for his or her post:
ocd
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:29 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

quick note, as was learned last night.

two meetings ago, public comments were welcome at the beginning of the meeting. Last night, not until the end. For future meetings, it may be beneficial to email Tracey Walker prior to the meeting and ask when public comments can be made, to avoid sitting in on a couple of hours of nonsense, waiting for your two minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:13 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 8 thanks
Received: 226 thanks
Bike(s): Fisher HiFi Pro 29
Favorite Trails: Sycamore Canyon (SD)
I was surprised by the placement of public comments also. It's an old city council trick the purpose of which is to make the person who wants to comment give up and go home before the comment period comes up.

The agenda for the meetings is put together about three weeks ahead of time. The MTRP website says the meetings are the first Tuesday of even numbered months so I guess any requests should be made to Tracy Walker right about.... now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:34 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Gardner wrote:
I was surprised by the placement of public comments also. It's an old city council trick the purpose of which is to make the person who wants to comment give up and go home before the comment period comes up.

It nearly worked too, but I'm glad I stuck around. The CAC has to realize that the park belongs to responsible users as much as it belongs to them. The only way that's going to happen is if we fill the seats at these meetings and persistently demand change.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:48 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

The next MTRP CAC meeting is September 1st.

The following user would like to thank Gardner for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:50 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
Im not much for public speaking but if it is bodies you need to fill seats I will be there.

The following user would like to thank Los for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:58 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Los wrote:
Im not much for public speaking but if it is bodies you need to fill seats I will be there.

It's really not that hard -- I spoke at the last meeting and it took all of about 3-4 minutes. Got up and gave some background information about myself (married, father of 4, nearly 20 years in San Carlos, live about one-quarter mile from the park) to establish a little credibility, and then said why I thought a skills park would add value to MTRP and how little effort and cost there would be to the park to allow the MTB community to design, fund, build, and maintain the skills park.

If enough people do that, it's going to get harder and harder for them to say no.

The following user would like to thank Canaan for his or her post:
ocd
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:18 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Canaan wrote:
Los wrote:

It's really not that hard -- I spoke at the last meeting and it took all of about 3-4 minutes. Got up and gave some background information about myself (married, father of 4, nearly 20 years in San Carlos, live about one-quarter mile from the park) to establish a little credibility, and then said why I thought a skills park would add value to MTRP and how little effort and cost there would be to the park to allow the MTB community to design, fund, build, and maintain the skills park.

If enough people do that, it's going to get harder and harder for them to say no.

Add in the trails aspect of things too. (of course thanks for your words Canaan)

They've been hit by multiple people about the trails.

Still very much an "our park vs cyclists" view coming from the chair. They need to understand their park IS cyclists.

I will go out on a limb and guess that monies to equestrian facilities have been about 10-1 over monies to cycling facilities and trails (aside from the main cowles trail). However, equestrians are like trails in the park... missing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:28 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

ocd -- check your pm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:27 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Parks worker OKs settling sex, bias suit
By Craig Gustafson
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
2:00 a.m. July 11, 2009

A Park and Recreation Department employee who accused a supervisor of sexual harassment and sexual assault over a three-year period has agreed to settle her lawsuit against San Diego for $450,000.

The City Council is expected to approve the settlement at a Tuesday meeting.

Hoa Nguyen, 52, a grounds maintenance supervisor from Mira Mesa, filed the lawsuit last year, accusing her boss of sexual harassment, ethnic discrimination and repeated sexual assaults from February 2004 to March 2007.

Her boss, Angel Prado, 53, of Logan Heights resigned shortly after Nguyen leveled the allegations, said Deputy City Attorney Kristin Zlotnik, who handled the case. Prado said the two had a consensual sexual relationship but denied any wrongdoing, Zlotnik said.

Both Prado and Nguyen were married to other people at the time.

Nguyen, who has worked for the city since 1994, also sought criminal charges against Prado. The District Attorney's Office investigated but did not file any charges, Zlotnik said.

The settlement, if approved, would resolve all claims, with neither side admitting wrongdoing.

“We are buying our peace – I suppose that's the best way to put it,” Zlotnik said. “It was extremely 'He said (vs.) she said.' ”

Zlotnik also said the city filed a cross-complaint against Prado, and he agreed to pay $5,000 toward any settlement.

Nguyen's attorney did not return a call seeking comment, and Prado could not be reached.

The following user would like to thank Gardner for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:40 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Gardner wrote:
Parks worker OKs settling sex, bias suit
By Craig Gustafson
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
2:00 a.m. July 11, 2009

A Park and Recreation Department employee who accused a supervisor of sexual harassment and sexual assault over a three-year period has agreed to settle her lawsuit against San Diego for $450,000.

The City Council is expected to approve the settlement at a Tuesday meeting.

Hoa Nguyen, 52, a grounds maintenance supervisor from Mira Mesa, filed the lawsuit last year, accusing her boss of sexual harassment, ethnic discrimination and repeated sexual assaults from February 2004 to March 2007.

Her boss, Angel Prado, 53, of Logan Heights resigned shortly after Nguyen leveled the allegations, said Deputy City Attorney Kristin Zlotnik, who handled the case. Prado said the two had a consensual sexual relationship but denied any wrongdoing, Zlotnik said.

Both Prado and Nguyen were married to other people at the time.

Nguyen, who has worked for the city since 1994, also sought criminal charges against Prado. The District Attorney's Office investigated but did not file any charges, Zlotnik said.

The settlement, if approved, would resolve all claims, with neither side admitting wrongdoing.

“We are buying our peace – I suppose that's the best way to put it,” Zlotnik said. “It was extremely 'He said (vs.) she said.' ”

Zlotnik also said the city filed a cross-complaint against Prado, and he agreed to pay $5,000 toward any settlement.

Nguyen's attorney did not return a call seeking comment, and Prado could not be reached.

I want a class action suit for inadequate trails/unfair trail access.
Not because I want the city to be in another lawsuit but because without it, I feel we will never see new trails.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:03 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Have you seen this list of projects?

http://www.mtrp.org/cac.asp?idno=186923

There are actually some things that hopefully will benefit bikers including the EQ comfort station and the connectors to Sycamore. Of course behind this all seems to be a big push to make it possible to ride from Ramona to MTRP--on a horse of course. Actions speak louder than words and the building of the EQ center, the renaming of the street to Equestrian Circle, the park going after connectors to Sycamore, the County wanting to secure land in Sycamore to Santee, etc., etc. (what is Equestrian staging area--Phase II anyway?)

I imagine that somewhere in the Foundation's plans is a horse rental concession in the park. Park off 52, ride up Spring, over to Sycamore Canyon, up to the Preserve. Grand plans.

Not that there's anything wrong with multiuse trails..

The following 2 users would like to thank Gardner for his or her post:
Canaan, moondogg
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:19 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Gardner wrote:
Have you seen this list of projects?

http://www.mtrp.org/cac.asp?idno=186923

There are actually some things that hopefully will benefit bikers including the EQ comfort station and the connectors to Sycamore. Of course behind this all seems to be a big push to make it possible to ride from Ramona to MTRP--on a horse of course. Actions speak louder than words and the building of the EQ center, the renaming of the street to Equestrian Circle, the park going after connectors to Sycamore, the County wanting to secure land in Sycamore to Santee, etc., etc. (what is Equestrian staging area--Phase II anyway?)

I imagine that somewhere in the Foundation's plans is a horse rental concession in the park. Park off 52, ride up Spring, over to Sycamore Canyon, up to the Preserve. Grand plans.

Not that there's anything wrong with multiuse trails..

$509,000 for a comfort station in an area of the park that is barely used and we can't get permission to build and maintain a skills park? Bike riders should be furious!!!! Come on people, wake up and do something.