Moderately Obsessed

Given: 229 thanks
Received: 755 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: hmmm, hmmm
Gardner wrote:
Have you seen this list of projects?

http://www.mtrp.org/cac.asp?idno=186923

There are actually some things that hopefully will benefit bikers including the EQ comfort station and the connectors to Sycamore. Of course behind this all seems to be a big push to make it possible to ride from Ramona to MTRP--on a horse of course. Actions speak louder than words and the building of the EQ center, the renaming of the street to Equestrian Circle, the park going after connectors to Sycamore, the County wanting to secure land in Sycamore to Santee, etc., etc. (what is Equestrian staging area--Phase II anyway?)

I imagine that somewhere in the Foundation's plans is a horse rental concession in the park. Park off 52, ride up Spring, over to Sycamore Canyon, up to the Preserve. Grand plans.

Not that there's anything wrong with multiuse trails..

Yeah, I've seen it, I believe I posted in on MTBR quite a while ago when I read it and said WTF and I was a bit upset that I missed any/all public input.

sycamore connector?

MTRP as it is and MTRP north will not connect legally, have you heard this? When dorothy was asked at the ACOE meeting how one would go from MTRP to MTRP north she said "Well you will get in a car and drive" and she said flat out that Spring and the new land would not be connected due to an approximate 1/4 mile section that miramar isn't budging on (and that the money wasn't there even if they did budge)

Quite simply, I am not buying what they are selling. You've been to the meetings, you've worked with the rangers, you know the consensus. It is NOT "lets improve the park for bikes" , were you at the skill park presentation? I will not name names but it was said flat out "the last time we had a large population of bikers in the park, they took up all of the parking" as well as "so if you were going to raise money for a bike park, you would compete with US for donations (and laughed)."

quick edit:
I am not sure about the stage II equestrian staging area thing. I was told they wanted to build a staging are in MTRP north as well, I doubt 200k would cover it. Possibly it is somehow related to the present staging area, that (purely out of principal,I will ride by every week to see if anyone is using it) I have seen used one time by an actual person with a horse.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:26 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
The equestrian staging area, is that at the west end of Mast? Out of 20 times riding out of there on my MTB I have seen horses once. And they had them at their trailers in the dirt parking lot, not using the little corrals they had going on there.

I have not frequented Sycamore very much, do alot of horse riders go thru there?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:45 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 229 thanks
Received: 755 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: hmmm, hmmm
Los wrote:
The equestrian staging area, is that at the west end of Mast? Out of 20 times riding out of there on my MTB I have seen horses once. And they had them at their trailers in the dirt parking lot, not using the little corrals they had going on there.

I have not frequented Sycamore very much, do alot of horse riders go thru there?

Yes, that is the one.

It was a necessity because everyone has horses in the area... I mean... all the kids have bikes... I mean, like if the kids want to chain their bikes to something, they have a horse corral there that they can chain them to.

I went as far as to asking equestrians about MTRP and the staging area on Friday in Cuyamaca. Their response:
"You can drive here in less than 30 minutes (they were from E end of lakeside), who in their right mind would want to drive there and trot in circles is beyond me "(they mentioned that there were very few trails in the park and in many areas, horses are not permitted. I have no clue of the horse rules, all that I know is that I have seen 2 groups in the last year on horses, neither were in the "park" ).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:17 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Los wrote:

Los, I'm not a real regular at Sycamore, but it's in my rotation. The last several times I've been there, I've seen equestrians. Some parked up at the Hwy 67 staging, but I think the others come down from the Poway horse-ranchey side. In all cases they were on a main fireroad, not singletrack (I think the singletrack may even be "no horses"). Generally friendly, or at least not unfriendly, in my experience.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:28 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 380 thanks
Received: 271 thanks
Bike(s): Jamis Dakar XAM II
Favorite Trails: Slickrock-Moab
OldDogDan wrote:
Los wrote:

Los, I'm not a real regular at Sycamore, but it's in my rotation. The last several times I've been there, I've seen equestrians. Some parked up at the Hwy 67 staging, but I think the others come down from the Poway horse-ranchey side. In all cases they were on a main fireroad, not singletrack (I think the singletrack may even be "no horses"). Generally friendly, or at least not unfriendly, in my experience.

Right on the money Dan. It's in my rotation too and I have rarely seen horses while I've been riding. Perhaps it's all a timing thing, but so far, so good.