Post subject: What’s going on at TW?
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:38 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 781 thanks
Received: 783 thanks
Bike(s): Pivot Firebird, Highline
Favorite Trails: All
I’ll tell you what’s going on at TW, aka Ted Williams. The San Diego Mountain Biking Association, SDMBA.com, received a letter from Mr. Jason Price who manages a portion of the Ted Williams area. Mr. Price works for the California Dept. of Fish and Game and it turns out some of the TW area is classified as a “reserve” and is managed by the DFG under Mr. Price’s jurisdiction. To sum up the letter, Mr. Price has kindly asked the DH / FR citizens who use and enjoy the adrenaline pumping trails at TW to please not build any stunts on the reserve land. Dirt jumps, doubles and singles, wood structures and non-natural rock drops would fall under the definition of “stunts”.

What portion of the TW area is classified “reserve” you ask? The good news is the maps provided by Mr. Price show the area labeled as “reserve” does not include the pond jumps, step downs and road gaps in the pond area. There was a jump adjacent to the road leading up to the lower portion of TW (next to the easy roller wall into the cul-de-sac) that was in the reserve. This jump has since been removed by the DFG since this area to the south of the road is DFG property. Most of the reserve property, by the looks of the map, is to the south of the pond area with a “thumb” heading up towards the northern end (where the upper houses are). There may be some trails that cross the DFG land but it seems that the DFG is not that concerned about those at this time. They are only concerned with non-natural “stunts” being made and maintained. What Mr. Price has asked SDMBA to do is get the word out to the DH/FR community that

1. TW is not a secret spot to authorities which means it can be shut down, and
2. To keep it from being shut down please do not build anymore stunts in and around the area known as Ted Williams.

The DFG will be walking the TW area sometime soon; monitoring the trails and stunt building, and will tear down anything that is determined to be in reserve under DFG jurisdiction. If the DFG finds stunts in reserve land during these walkthroughs they will remove the stunts. To keep what access we do have at TW it is recommended not to rebuild any stunts removed or to find new places to build new stunts.

Enjoy what we have, ride hard, stay safe, but please respect what Mr. Price is asking and let’s try to police ourselves with what’s been given before someone else becomes the police and takes that away. :cheers:

The following 5 users would like to thank TCB for his or her post:
bankerboy, David-K, Phonger, Red Hot Sloth, remgeo
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:53 pm 
Resident Hucker
Resident Hucker

Given: 50 thanks
Received: 1140 thanks
Bike(s): Reign X1
Favorite Trails: ...
TCB wrote:
1. TW is not a secret spot to authorities which means it can be shut down

TCB,

Can you elaborate on this? Seriously, I know that a lot of the gravity oriented people are.... how do I say this.... ummm... not the brightest (?) but what gives here? Did the authorities seem to think that the MTB community thought we owned TW?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:04 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 442 thanks
Received: 2590 thanks
Bike(s): RIP9, Nomad
Favorite Trails: Backcountry
Haven't been there for a few months and found a newly cut trail on Sun evening off the one road cut. Saw some other recent cuts that weren't bike, but looked like immigrant trails since debris was found a the termination points. Also most DH people don't participate in SDMBA. Thus a sign w/ the letter really needs placed at the top of Meadowbrook for these folks.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:39 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 146 thanks
Received: 293 thanks
+1 GP_Pilot.

This is completely the wrong audience. A lot of the dirt jumpers are kids, and wouldn't listen to any of us anyway. We are old, and they know everything.

Can we get a copy of the map?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:57 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

sladnas wrote:
+1 GP_Pilot.

This is completely the wrong audience. A lot of the dirt jumpers are kids, and wouldn't listen to any of us anyway. We are old, and they know everything.

Can we get a copy of the map?

We are well a head of you guy's, this is not the only place we have posted this information. :cheers:

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:10 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 223 thanks
Received: 848 thanks
Bike(s): IH 6.6 & Sunday,Giant XTC
Favorite Trails: Any ST with nice flow.
Please have SDMBA stay away from TW. Thank You.

The following 3 users would like to thank luna for his or her post:
kevmortensen, Ray Dolor, sladnas
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:17 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

luna wrote:

The DFG contacted us, do you have a problem with us getting the word out or should we just sit on important information.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:18 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

luna wrote:

SDMBA is harmless unless a major vote is taking place.

The following 2 users would like to thank sladnas for his or her post:
luna, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:20 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 229 thanks
Received: 755 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: hmmm, hmmm
TCB wrote:
luna wrote:

The DFG contacted us, do you have a problem with us getting the word out or should we just sit on important information.

No problem from me getting the information out.

I do believe these organizations are using the SDMBA when it is convenient for them (including the city) and not giving a thing back.

It would be nice to see (in addition to the explanation of what was going on) that someone sat down and discussed other trail issues that are taking place and asked the DFG to support the cause behind the other issues.

I.E. "we can help you get the word out, we are losing trails, possibly you are familiar with the "tunnels" issues. If you (the DFG man) could assist in persuading the city to work expediently toward a solution there, it may take some of the pressure off of your land over here and we would be more than willing to help in the future"
(I understand they are different types of riding but when these guys ask for help, a parallel request for assistance in other areas should be made)

Im not saying the organization is wrong for putting out the information. I am saying don't let them use the organization for the dirty work and walk away scot free.

The following 2 users would like to thank ocd for his or her post:
luna, TCB
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:38 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

ocd wrote:
TCB wrote:
luna wrote:

No problem from me getting the information out.

I do believe these organizations are using the SDMBA when it is convenient for them (including the city) and not giving a thing back.

It would be nice to see (in addition to the explanation of what was going on) that someone sat down and discussed other trail issues that are taking place and asked the DFG to support the cause behind the other issues.

I.E. "we can help you get the word out, we are losing trails, possibly you are familiar with the "tunnels" issues. If you (the DFG man) could assist in persuading the city to work expediently toward a solution there, it may take some of the pressure off of your land over here and we would be more than willing to help in the future"
(I understand they are different types of riding but when these guys ask for help, a parallel request for assistance in other areas should be made)

Im not saying the organization is wrong for putting out the information. I am saying don't let them use the organization for the dirty work and walk away scot free.

+1 let DFG go & spread the word.

99% of the people who go to TW don't read the forums, I know because I asked them. They're too busy riding. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:01 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 70 thanks
Received: 187 thanks
Bike(s): Boulder Defiant/Foes FXR
Nevermind. Nothing I say can make time go backwards.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:47 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 836 thanks
Received: 362 thanks
Bike(s): Yeti 575
Favorite Trails: singletrack
Isn't Jason Price also the DFG rep for the DMM? He didn't seem willing to work with anyone at the CAC meeting.

The following user would like to thank b5driver for his or her post:
ocd
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:35 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2184 thanks
Received: 1791 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt
b5driver wrote:
Isn't Jason Price also the DFG rep for the DMM? He didn't seem willing to work with anyone at the CAC meeting.

He is, but DMM is a whole different deal. Federally protected endangered species make things far more tricky. Mmmm...perhaps we could convince the feds that stunts and jumps are so rare that they should qualify for the endangered species list! :bang:

The following 2 users would like to thank Robo for his or her post:
b5driver, TCB
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:25 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

mikuteit wrote:
Mmmm...perhaps we could convince the feds that stunts and jumps are so rare that they should qualify for the endangered species list! :bang:

That's what I'm talking about, somebody on board.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:42 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

mikuteit wrote:
b5driver wrote:

He is, but DMM is a whole different deal. Federally protected endangered species make things far more tricky. Mmmm...perhaps we could convince the feds that stunts and jumps are so rare that they should qualify for the endangered species list! :bang:

What do endangered species have to do with being a total dick to trail users in one case, then asking for help from the SAME PEOPLE in another?

I think ocd hit the nail on the head.