It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:24 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
QuietStorm wrote:
Yeah umm, sorry guys, but I'll be riding that day, so no thanks. Clean up a trail that I can't ride? Right.....

This thread has got me scratching my head going "WTF?"

Sounds like you need a "WTF" blanket.

See OldschoolBMXer, he'll hook you up.

Man, that's a funny video!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:36 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 658 thanks
Received: 461 thanks
jSatch wrote:
QuietStorm wrote:
Yeah umm, sorry guys, but I'll be riding that day, so no thanks. Clean up a trail that I can't ride? Right.....

This thread has got me scratching my head going "WTF?"

Sounds like you need a "WTF" blanket.

See OldschoolBMXer, he'll hook you up.

Man, that's a funny video!

darn! i even searched the forum before i reposted that yesterday :(

oh well, always nice to have an extra wtf blanket i guess :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:32 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 43 thanks
Received: 103 thanks
i'm gonna go take a nice steamy-poo over there in the morning so any dumbass that is that retarded to actually go to this can scoop my poop and then hopefully realize how full of shit this is.

d

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:43 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1644 thanks
Received: 1322 thanks
Bike(s): Knolly Endo, Canfield Jedi
Favorite Trails: DH Trails
I started riding recently, so I never got to experience Tunnels. But hearing about it a lot from Wirk and seeing how much people here loved it, I wish I could've had the chance to ride it.

I wandered over to mtbr and read the thread. I'm not part of SDMBA, though I am thinking about it for their bike skills clinics. But it's things like this that make me not want to join. I understand that some people want to keep the preserve clean because it's the right thing to do. But why should I give my dues to be spent on trash dumping fees for a trail that I cannot use as a mountain biker? That makes NO SENSE! I mean, if it was something put on by the LPQ CAC and promoted as such, then yes - people should go there because it's the right thing to do (if that's how they feel).

It's such BS to be told to do it "because it's the right thing to do" by SDMBA. I don't think anyone joins SDMBA because it's the right thing to do. They join because of mountain biking, for mountain biking advocacy, etc, right?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:01 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Well Kitty,
I'd say a lot of people do join SDMBA because, for a mountain biker in San Diego County, they think it's the right thing to do. I did. It's made up of volunteers, a variety of people. So "we" aren't going to necessarily agree with everything "they" (or one of their board members) say or do. But that organization is our most effective voice. So don't go to the trash pickup day if you disagree. But you ought to join to lend strength to all the other unequivocally good work they do on our behalf. That is, if you want to have any trails left to ride after the developers finish turning SD County into Orange County. (and if you saw my post on MTBR, you know I am not just a blind SDMBA cheeleader).
Dan

The following user would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
TCB
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:15 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 127 thanks
Received: 472 thanks
Bike(s): stumpy 29er
Favorite Trails: Blowing Springs
+1
Kitty,
SDMBA is working hard and doing a lot of good. The problem is that we as MTBers are fighting an up hill battle against the equestrian community who are rightly concerned about the trails that they didn't have to share twenty years ago. They haven't caught up with the times or realised that the "ranches" they live on are right in the middle of town now. Half my family are die hard horse people and they thank we're just out there to haul-ass. I guess they are half right. Give it another ten years and the trails will open up when the horse people get sick of city life.

I wish you and everybody else could have ridden the Tunnels, I thank that place was truly one of a kind.

The following 2 users would like to thank Sasqwatch for his or her post:
jSatch, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:22 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 229 thanks
Received: 755 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: hmmm, hmmm
OldDogDan wrote:
Well Kitty,
I'd say a lot of people do join SDMBA because, for a mountain biker in San Diego County, they think it's the right thing to do. I did. It's made up of volunteers, a variety of people. So "we" aren't going to necessarily agree with everything "they" (or one of their board members) say or do. But that organization is our most effective voice. So don't go to the trash pickup day if you disagree. But you ought to join to lend strength to all the other unequivocally good work they do on our behalf. That is, if you want to have any trails left to ride after the developers finish turning SD County into Orange County. (and if you saw my post on MTBR, you know I am not just a blind SDMBA cheeleader).
Dan

Dan,

Simple solution:
shitcan the entire board, let the members elect the liaisons and officers. Member based organization, member elected organization. If someone chooses to reject their nomination/voting in, it moves to the next person. No more of the Us Vs them bullshit. We are all mountain bikers, there will be one group.

Pretty fair I'd say.
You want to vote, become a member or renew your membership and you vote.

What do the bylaws say?

The following user would like to thank ocd for his or her post:
jSatch
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:50 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

ocd wrote:

Simple solution:
shitcan the entire board, let the members elect the liaisons and officers. Member based organization, member elected organization. If someone chooses to reject their nomination/voting in, it moves to the next person. No more of the Us Vs them bullshit. We are all mountain bikers, there will be one group.

Pretty fair I'd say.

What do the bylaws say?

OCD, have you been to any meetings? They are posted on the website and open to the public. I went to a couple last year, then decided my interests were more in local (North County) hands-on trailwork events. I get enough planning and organizational b.s. at work. I don't see any "us" vs "them". Some volunteers are interested in board & committee type work, some aren't. It takes both. I have no idea what the bylaws say, or exactly how voting works, but you can go to a meeting and ask. I sure wouldn't want to shitcan those hard-working folks. Who's going to replace them? Probably none of the people who throw stones in the forums. If you are willing to step up, I applaud you. It seems to me SDMBA is getting way more effective than it used to be, despite the obvious lapse at that LPQ election. And SDMBA as an organization apologized - whether or not the now-former liaison saw fit to do so.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:52 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 229 thanks
Received: 755 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX8
Favorite Trails: hmmm, hmmm
OldDogDan wrote:
ocd wrote:

Simple solution:

Pretty fair I'd say.

What do the bylaws say?

OCD, have you been to any meetings? They are posted on the website and open to the public. I went to a couple last year, then decided my interests were more in local (North County) hands-on trailwork events. I get enough planning and organizational b.s. at work. I don't see any "us" vs "them". Some volunteers are interested in board & committee type work, some aren't. It takes both. I have no idea what the bylaws say, or exactly how voting works, but you can go to a meeting and ask. I sure wouldn't want to shitcan those hard-working folks. Who's going to replace them? Probably none of the people who throw stones in the forums. If you are willing to step up, I applaud you. It seems to me SDMBA is getting way more effective than it used to be, despite the obvious lapse at that LPQ election. And SDMBA as an organization apologized - whether or not the now-former liaison saw fit to do so.

Been to meetings, took time off of work, stepped up, didn't work out.

I tried as hard as I saw fit given the situation. Couldn't see eye to eye. I'd say my horse just wasn't high enough.

This isn't the place to discuss. But if you twist my arm, I could. I'd rather not though, it would be detrimental to the overall long term goals (wait, there ARE long term goals right?)

The following user would like to thank ocd for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:25 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 168 thanks
Received: 306 thanks
Bike(s): Gary Fisher Tassajara
ocd wrote:
OldDogDan wrote:
Well Kitty,
Dan

Dan,

Simple solution:

Pretty fair I'd say.

What do the bylaws say?

Uh, the members who showed up to the meeting in January were allowed to vote for the board positions that were open. If you showed up to January, you could have run for a board position.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:32 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 407 thanks
Received: 610 thanks
Favorite Trails: 11111
agree that cleaning up land where we are not welcome seems good for the environment but maybe detrimental to our sanity if tunnels doesnt end-up opening again. I feel the very same people who are keeping us out to protect the environment or whatever should then be responsible for the land they restrict. I hate the trash there, but a bulldozer will get it if we dont.(Sarcastic)

Last edited by jjthewhale on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

The following user would like to thank jjthewhale for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:20 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

A belated, but thoughtful and well-written, apology from Mike M was posted on MTBR. Gotta go ... less debate, mo' riding!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:02 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 70 thanks
Received: 187 thanks
Bike(s): Boulder Defiant/Foes FXR
Offroadie wrote:
Uh, the members who showed up to the meeting in January were allowed to vote for the board positions that were open. If you showed up to January, you could have run for a board position.

Uh, wrong. Only Board members are allowed to vote for Board members.
Uh, wrong again. Board members nominated who they wanted to fill the open positions.

Step up? The idea for a Skills Park in MTRP was his. He approached MTRP with the idea. He brought the Skills Park idea to SDMBA.

These are facts. Let's keep shit straight.

Last edited by Boulder Pilot on Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:57 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 666 thanks
Received: 1790 thanks
Favorite Trails: teh gnar
Been some interesting post over at empty beer from last night. Looks like despite the initial poor response to our constructive criticism, several things about the event have changed ( or better communicated ). Most of my concerns have been addressed, so I plan to attend the event and urge others to also attend ( and bring cameras ).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:02 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
Boulder Pilot wrote:
OldDogDan wrote:

Uh, wrong. Only Board members are allowed to vote for Board members.
Uh, wrong again. Board members nominated who they wanted to fill the open positions.

Step up? The idea for a Skills Park in MTRP was his. He approached MTRP with the idea. He brought the Skills Park idea to SDMBA.

These are facts. Let's keep shit straight.

Thanks for the clarification BP, I can understand OCD's concerns. Although generally understated (a good thing), OCD has always been on the mark.

Sounds like the system needs an overhaul for more open representation.

Skills park sounds great. Maybe I can finally get me some skills.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next