PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:15 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 139 thanks
Received: 132 thanks
Bike(s): Nomad
Favorite Trails: Hog's Heaven, Sedona
Hi all,

I rode up power lines early Saturday and at the top I saw a stop sign at the access rode to DMM. I thought just the tunnels were closed..?.. Is everything on top of the mesa closed too? What about that single track at the bottom of deer canyon that leads back towards the Intuit building? Please excuse my ignorance, but I thought all of this trail closure bullshit was only regarding the tunnels.

Thanks in advance for clearing this up for me.

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:01 pm 
Fail242
Fail242

Given: 494 thanks
Received: 564 thanks
Bike(s): None :(
Favorite Trails: LPQ, SW, Otay, TriCanyons!
Everything is closed except the service roads and if I am not mistaken even those are technically offlimits since SDGE had not given 'Trail Access' to those roads.

The following user would like to thank wirk242 for his or her post:
FatPossum
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:44 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 722 thanks
Received: 974 thanks
Bike(s): Stumpy FSR/Mary SS
Favorite Trails: Undecided
:bang: POACHER! :bang:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:47 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
Wirk is right

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:44 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
FatPossum wrote:
Hi all,

I rode up power lines early Saturday and at the top I saw a stop sign at the access rode to DMM. I thought just the tunnels were closed..?.. Is everything on top of the mesa closed too? What about that single track at the bottom of deer canyon that leads back towards the Intuit building? Please excuse my ignorance, but I thought all of this trail closure bullshit was only regarding the tunnels.

Thanks in advance for clearing this up for me.

Joe

So, if I understand correctly, if you go up power lines and make a right it's all closed. Correct?

What about a left to the Shitts and over to Cobbles? Just wondering 'cause I eyed the awesome new trail from the top of cobbles through to side hill, and I'm itchin' to go.

Damn those flashbacks.

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:01 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 223 thanks
Received: 848 thanks
Bike(s): IH 6.6 & Sunday,Giant XTC
Favorite Trails: Any ST with nice flow.
Brian wrote:
:bang: POACHER! :bang:

+2 Poach that shiat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:13 am 
Fail242
Fail242

jSatch wrote:
So, if I understand correctly, if you go up power lines and make a right it's all closed. Correct?

Just the stuff off the fireroad... like tu**els and the singletrack.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:25 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 139 thanks
Received: 132 thanks
Bike(s): Nomad
Favorite Trails: Hog's Heaven, Sedona
jSatch wrote:

What about a left to the Shitts and over to Cobbles? Just wondering 'cause I eyed the awesome new trail from the top of cobbles through to side hill, and I'm itchin' to go.

Damn those flashbacks.

Yeah - there is a big stop sign at the top of power lines.

No sign to the shits, and over to cobbles is fine as I was there last Saturday. Where is this new trail you speak of? The top of Cobbles is all bull dozed I thought.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:37 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2184 thanks
Received: 1791 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt
FatPossum wrote:
jSatch wrote:

Damn those flashbacks.

No sign to the shits, and over to cobbles is fine as I was there last Saturday. Where is this new trail you speak of? The top of Cobbles is all bull dozed I thought.

jSatch is flashing back to the trail that USED to be going from the top of Cobbles to Side Hill. That would've been Intestines, and is now... a bulldozed 10-foot wide mess.

So to clarify: Cobbles is open, Sh*ts is open, and the SDG&E road on the mesa top is open over to the "Del Mar Mesa Multiuse Trail" by The Preserve development. Once you get past the "stop" signs in the Del Mar Mesa area, only the SDG&E road is open for now.

NEWS FLASH: There is progress being made on a proposed trail plan, and it will include more than the SDG&E road. Watch for an update from SDMBA soon for more details.

The following 4 users would like to thank Robo for his or her post:
jSatch, Ld00d, Phonger, Supple1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:41 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

From the top of Cobbles, there is now a Pardee-made "trail", about 8' wide and bounded by orange, plastic fencing, that enables one to ride to the top of Sidehill.

The Shits isn't marked closed, BUT all the draft trails plans currently in stir with the City provide for it to be closed upon adoption of the DMM RMP. The MTC/SDMBA trails plan proposed that trail as "open, multiuse", but the City plans (their original and subesquent drafts) excluded it. Excluded trails are closed trails.

Pretty much all of the eastern DMM is closed.

The following 2 users would like to thank EBasil for his or her post:
Ld00d, moondogg
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:11 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
FatPossum wrote:
jSatch wrote:

Damn those flashbacks.

Sorry, poor form on my part.

As others mentioned intestines was bulldozed with the promise of "Future Trails". The trail there now is exactly what we would have expected from this promise.

Bad.

Sorry to hear the Shitts is going illegal. Is that just for bikes, or for all users?

Attachments:
IMG_00168.jpg
IMG_00168.jpg [ 60.64 KiB | Viewed 7876 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:39 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

The "future trails" in terms of "intestines" (really the "Shaw-Lorenz" Pardee project) will be flat, 8'-wide, decomposed granite paths that run mostly along the to-be paved Carmel Mtn. Rd. The new road is pretty much to be where the old existing dirt road was before the bulldozing and the "trail" will deviate from it to run along the ridgeline of the canyon as it gets closer to the intersection with Shaw Valley Trail (which is the no-bikes trail in the arroyo that the new road bridge will go over).

The DG paths will connect "sorta" with the top of Sidehill & the Shaw Valley Trail on the west, then proceed easterly to connect to Cobblestone, then pass west, under Carmel Mtn. Road, to meander over to connect to the DG paths along Del Mar Mesa Rd. These paths are officially "trails".

If you scroll back in the MTC Yahoo messages, there's more detail than this, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:59 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 223 thanks
Received: 848 thanks
Bike(s): IH 6.6 & Sunday,Giant XTC
Favorite Trails: Any ST with nice flow.
So now we need to ride the hell out of the Shiats before we close.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:56 am 
Fail242
Fail242

EBasil wrote:
The Shits isn't marked closed, BUT all the draft trails plans currently in stir with the City provide for it to be closed upon adoption of the DMM RMP.

:(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:49 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
Hopefully this can help someone out with info. Doesnt have a date of when this was issued but it does reference April 14 on here, so it is somewhat recent

Important Notice About Del Mar Mesa!

Pardee will begin construction of the Shaw Lorenz development on Del Mar Mesa next week. They will start at the western most end of the development at the end of Carmel Mountain Rd and work east. However the entire mesa will be closed for the duration of the project. All the single tracks known as “the intestines” will be a memory beginning Monday, April 14, 2008.

"Side Hill" will remain open for the duration of the project. Access will be provided by going to the end of Carmel Mountain Road, past the construction trailer office where a trail will be delineated with orange fence and signs behind the newest construction site up to the power line tower, and follow the newly installed signs to "Side Hill".

Cobbles/Queens will remain open with a slight variation at the entrance/exit onto Del Vino; ALL USERS will have to enter from the east side of Del Vino on the d.g. path through the wooden bollards.

Shaw Valley Trail will be OPEN WEEKENDS ONLY (Saturday and Sunday). This is a little more difficult to explain, but once all the work is done and signs are in it should be easy to follow. The grading contractor will be installing a road from the end of Carmel Mountain Rd. winding east down into the valley and then back up to the mesa, this would obviously cause an impassable berm; however they will install a ramp on the north side of the berm from the trail that will be open on weekends for equestrians and hikers to get up to the newly constructed road, turn west toward Carmel Mountain Rd and link onto the new trail access to "Side Hill". This will all be signed and fenced.

THERE WILL BE NO ACCESS TO THE CENTER OF THE MESA FROM ANY OF THE TRAILS FOR THE DURATION OF THE PROJECT. DO NOT VANDALIZE/PASS THE ORANGE FENCE INTO THE CONSTRUCTION ZONE FOR YOUR SAFETY!!! Some of the orange fence will be protecting vernal pools that are being restored, so it is very important that you STAY OUT.

The developer assured me that trails are a high priority, they want to get the grading done and the new trails in as soon as possible. The new trail will go along the rim of the canyon and then a bit through the neighborhood past and through the vernal pool sites that are being preserved. It won't be the winding ups and downs that are there now, but it will be a nice link between Cobbles and Side Hill/Shaw Valley.

Now I know there is concern that even though Cobbles and Side Hill are open, having no way to connect by way of the mesa seemingly doesn't do any good unless you live in the neighborhood. However, I have to disagree with that view. Once you pop out of Cobbles, go out to Del Vino and then down Del Mar Mesa Rd to the west (there are multi use trails along the road, or just ride the road) until you get to Carmel Country Rd go south up the hill to Carmel Mountain Rd and turn east to the end where you can access Side Hill. I know it's not Open Space, but you'll get a good work out and it is a great loop. Also, you can access the Neighborhood 10 trails and "Eucalyptus" from Carmel Country Road. It will be something new...

I really want to emphasize again how important it is to not build/cut any new trails through the open space areas. This is a transition we all have to deal with, so let's make it as easy and uneventful as possible.

Please pass this email on to everyone you know that uses the Del Mar Mesa trails so they won't be caught off guard Monday morning when they go out for their daily run. Thanks, BE SAFE AND HAVE FUN.

Gina Washington
Senior Park Ranger
City of San Diego, Open Space Division
858.538.8066 (PH)
858.536.8334 (FAX)

copied this off of someones cox home page or something like that.

Link: http://members.cox.net/garyfox/index.htm