It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:44 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10468 thanks
Received: 7514 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
"Your email address has been removed from International Mountain Bicycling Association mailing lists. And you will not receive any further emails unless you resubscribe."

I'm done with them

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:10 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
From supporting mopeds on the trail to opposing bikes in the same place, IMBA seems to have swung pretty far out of the lane. I am confused by Dave Wiens being at the head of all that, though. WTH?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:16 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 379 thanks
Received: 982 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Anthem 29er
Favorite Trails: flowy single tracks
Dirtrider wrote:
There are donations and there are memberships. The membership card will get discounts at places like Bike Bling and the donations doesn't. Well, it looks like I'll not be a member of either until they split and the only donation will be my time & sweat at trail work days.

Someone at IMBA needs to do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete. They had to know this would go over like a lead balloon with the rider base. The move needed to be followed with press releases that gave a clear story (and detail) as to why they thought this was in our best interests. The pages of pap they've released don't cut it.

Reading between the lines (as that is all we have to work with) I expect they made a choice to not jeopardize some near term projects in which they've allied with some entities strongly opposed to bicycles in Wilderness.

In doing so they mortgaged the kids and the boat. Brilliant.

I've seen some posts calling for throwing IMBA in the trash. I understand the emotion but we do need a strong national advocacy group. The problem is with those setting policy at IMBA, not IMBA itself. The Board needs to wake up or step aside. The backlash they are getting is a huge vote of 'no confidence'.

The following user would like to thank rodster for his or her post:
Dirtrider
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:20 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Take a look at STC who seem to be on the right track

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:33 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 985 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
rodster wrote:
Dirtrider wrote:
There are donations and there are memberships. The membership card will get discounts at places like Bike Bling and the donations doesn't. Well, it looks like I'll not be a member of either until they split and the only donation will be my time & sweat at trail work days.

Someone at IMBA needs to do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete. They had to know this would go over like a lead balloon with the rider base. The move needed to be followed with press releases that gave a clear story (and detail) as to why they thought this was in our best interests. The pages of pap they've released don't cut it.

Reading between the lines (as that is all we have to work with) I expect they made a choice to not jeopardize some near term projects in which they've allied with some entities strongly opposed to bicycles in Wilderness.

In doing so they mortgaged the kids and the boat. Brilliant.

I've seen some posts calling for throwing IMBA in the trash. I understand the emotion but we do need a strong national advocacy group. The problem is with those setting policy at IMBA, not IMBA itself. The Board needs to wake up or step aside. The backlash they are getting is a huge vote of 'no confidence'.

IMBA attempted a Facebook post in regards to the issue and they are getting hammered by their own base. There are 150 responses to the post and I saw TWO that made an attempt at defending IMBA's position. I frequent several MTB related site and the sentiment against IMBA is easily 95% against at a minimum. They will never tell us but I predict this decision to be the root cause of the largest mass exit from IMBA in their history. They don't care though because Specialized and Trek give them more money to promote e-bike acceptance that all our members dues combined.

The following user would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:01 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7311 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
From MTBR --> Take Action! http://forums.mtbr.com/california-norca ... 772-5.html

Today, you're either a mountain biker, or you aren't. Do not let this opportunity to express your support pass by. Today.

https://www.facebook.com/Sustainable...71763669599094

-------URGENT ACTION ALERT!-------
DO NOT WAIT UNTIL TOMORROW.
MAKE TIME TODAY... 3 MINUTES MAX!
GET 3 OTHER PEOPLE TO DO THE SAME.

Tomorrow morning (12/13/17) HR 1349 will go through full mark up in the House Committee on Natural Resources. This is the crucial day for all we have worked hard for! The bill will be debated and amended among committee members. There have already been some good clarifications since last week's hearings.

You need to call and/or email your representative on the committee TODAY and express your support for HR 1349. We understand opponents are lighting them up. They need to hear from A LOT more people who support this modest legislation.

Here is the list of members:
https://naturalresources.house.gov/about/members.htm

Find phone numbers and member websites here:
https://www.house.gov/representatives
(click on name to open page... go to "contact me"... enter your zip+4 digits (https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction_input)... fill out form and state your support. So easy to do!)

Best to speak from your heart, but here's a simple statement:
"Dear Congresswoman/man__________
As you consider HR 1349 during tomorrow's mark up, I want you to know this bill has my full support. It is simple, provides modest reform, and helps restore the intent of those who worked so hard to create our Wilderness Preservation System. It does NONE of the things the opponents of it are likely screaming at you about. None! Some Wilderness areas and their trails are suitable for all types of human powered recreation, some trails are not. I know my local forest officials are capable of determining such things, as they already do that in all public lands. Thank you in advance for supporting HR 1349."

Double down and email the committee:
https://naturalresources.house.gov/contact/

Post to their FB page using the "Constituent Badge"... we are told many members of Congress are getting quite FB savvy and this badge thing shows who is their constituent and who is not. They'll be paying attention to what you write on FB.
https://www.facebook.com/help/157047021494292

Here's a proposed (positive for us) amendment that the committee will vote on tomorrow morning. This is just informational; you don't need to comment on it.

https://naturalresources.house.gov/u...__12.13.17.pdf

The following 2 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
Dirtrider, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:35 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5010 thanks
Received: 5044 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
What an astonishingly rapid descent from credibility for IMBA. Once Subaru stopped sponsoring, it seems IMBA lost its way.

-Big Clyde

The following user would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:50 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 499 thanks
Received: 1771 thanks
Bike(s): Monocog SS 29er
Favorite Trails: Skinny & dirty
Sounds like HR 1349 passed today (in a second vote after initially not passing). First step in a series of votes as it works its way up.

The following user would like to thank random walk for his or her post:
Dirtrider
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:18 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 427 thanks
Received: 314 thanks
Bike(s): SC 5010ccV1
Favorite Trails: Lake Morena, Sycamore Canyon
Oh boy..... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:23 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

I saw a link to the STC facebook page with some comments. It said it was the equestrian lobby that swayed a number of reps to vote no initially leading to the first vote to fail. Not sure what happened to get it to pass on number 2 but it did. They said the environmentalist wailing and fear-mongering was not an issue. Passing committee was just a small step. The big fight and hard work is yet to come. Thanks to anyone who sent in comments.

The following 3 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
Big Clyde, Dirtrider, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:36 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

SDMBA and NEMBA started a petition demanding that IMBA not lobby against bikes in Wilderness. Sign it here, if you wish

https://www.change.org/p/board-imba-com ... e_petition

The following 3 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:20 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1554 thanks
Received: 1633 thanks
Bike(s): Tracer275, Stumpy WC
Favorite Trails: I like single track
I still get emails from the Boulder MTB Alliance. They're scratching their heads over the recent IMBA positions, calling them "tone deaf and puzzling".

http://mailchi.mp/bouldermountainbike/3 ... e2a32fa061

The following 3 users would like to thank ajdonner for his or her post:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:23 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Breaking news email:

Dear SDMBA Member:

We wanted you to be the first to know that after lengthy and careful consideration, the Board of Directors of the San Diego Mountain Biking Association has voted unanimously to discontinue its chapter status with the International Mountain Biking Association, effective April 29, 2018.

“SDMBA has evolved to be one of the strongest mountain biking associations and advocacy organizations in the country, and ending our chapter status agreement with IMBA means more dollars and resources we develop will stay local,” said Kevin Loomis, president of SDMBA. “After several failed attempts to reconcile our differences, we feel a complete separation from IMBA is aligned with the wishes of a majority of our members and needed to help SDMBA flourish. We wish them success in their future endeavors.”

SDMBA has worked closely with IMBA to make many improvements to the national organization over the past few years, including:

Unified California into one region with a state representative
Provided input to overhaul the chapter program to benefit chapters of all sizes
Created a national voice and helped establish extraordinary contacts that continue to be leveraged to this day

However, with the evolution of both organizations in similar but different directions, these financial, philosophical and diminished member services have made the relationship unsustainable for SDMBA’s board and its membership. For more than a year, the SDMBA Board of Directors has struggled with the question of whether to remain a chapter of IMBA after assuming that status in 2013 and made multiple efforts to reconcile the situation. Polls of membership also showed a majority supported SDMBA’s independence from IMBA.

Key issues include:

Financially, SDMBA is not experiencing sufficient return on investment given the amount of revenue staying with IMBA via dual membership programs, where a substantial portion of revenue SDMBA raises goes to IMBA
Philosophical differences over bikes in Wilderness as evidenced by IMBA’s formal non-support of HR1349 and concerning support of motorized e-bicycles on non-motorized trails
Diminished member services, including an inability to maintain adequate and affordable insurance and dissolution of IMBA regional directors including our statewide California representative

SDMBA has invested considerable time and energy over the past year strengthening its organization and ability to serve its membership. It has become one of the largest IMBA chapters in recent years and today serves more than 1,000 members. SDMBA is here to speak for all mountain bikers in San Diego and will continue to work everyday to be at the tables where trail decisions are made.

Mike

The following 4 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
avidtest, Big Clyde, chuckanado, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:23 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5192 thanks
Received: 1036 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
I sum this all up with an ancient Zen Koan.
"If you are riding upon the Trail, and you meet the Sierra Klubber, kill him!

-Pretty much what the Buddha said.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:30 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Ray Dolor wrote:
I sum this all up with an ancient Zen Koan.
"If you are riding upon the Trail, and you meet the Sierra Klubber or the e-biker, kill him!

-Pretty much what the Buddha said.

Fixed it for you

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next