All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:29 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 149 thanks
Received: 985 thanks
Bike(s): Ibis HD5 & Ripley
Favorite Trails: North Umpqua, OR
The email came from Ben Stone at SDMBA and I cut out all the non-calaveras related stuff.

With all that said, I must say working on Carlsbad Highlands Ecological Reserve/Calaveras, overseen by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW), is incredibly complicated. There is an extensive network of trails on this Reserve that was meant to be set aside for habitat conservation and, in addition, everyone seems to have a favorite trail on the property. CDFW for their part have not effectively managed this Reserve and the idea of a reserve surrounded by 100,000’s of people without a plan for public access is nearly setting yourself up for failure.

For our part as mountain bikers we need to realize a couple of things as we go through this process. This Reserve is a shining example of everything not to do as a land manager, but it has also been used as a bat against mountain bikers across the County. What I mean by this is that this situation is what is pointed to as the worst behavior of mountain bikers and the reasons why we should not be given access to open spaces or new trails. As a group I believe we have effectively fought back against that argument, but we also need to show that we can fix the situation on this property.

So where does that start? First it starts with getting the word out - NO NEW BUILDING OF TRAILS. It also includes being good stewards of the land, educating other trail users and friends about the issues that are taking place, reporting any issues you see on the land back to us and staying engaged with local MTB advocacy. You’re getting this update because you are a SDMBA member or are on a list. The key for SDMBA as a representative association is the more members we have in the County translates into more people who are engaged in local trail advocacy and are aware of what is going with trails they care about.

The following 2 users would like to thank k2rider for his or her post:
Dirtrider, GForce
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:42 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 39 thanks
Received: 1499 thanks
Bike(s): TallBoy LT, Woodie, MB-2
Favorite Trails: Calavera, 5 min from house
I was just going to do that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:36 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23199 thanks
Received: 17225 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
325racer wrote:
I was just going to do that.

Actually you did, in a different thread.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:32 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5 thanks
Received: 296 thanks
Bike(s): SC Nomad
Favorite Trails: east county, Calaveras
calavera is probably the best place to ride in the county for the mixture of trails that it offers. It is bitter sweet to see it going the route of legality. I really wish that it would become a bike park and be privately owned and managed. Illegal trail building is a problem, I get it. However, the lack a place that riders have fun trails and can progress their skills is the root cause of why people Build illegally. San Diego really needs to open their eyes to the potential that could come from a weather friendly destination for the MTB community. I know I would pay for an annual pass for a local riding spot that offered awesome trails that I had to use my own power to get to the top of.

The following 5 users would like to thank A_street for his or her post:
avidtest, Copper Cable, Dirtrider, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:42 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23199 thanks
Received: 17225 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
I heard from a reliable source that a female rider recently had her bike confiscated at Calavera, and paid a fine and impound fee to get it back. I will get more details tomorrow, like where and when, and signage.

....and hopefully not get mine impounded too.

[update: unconfirmed - still trying to get more details]

The following 2 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Big Clyde, Dirtrider
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:40 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 39 thanks
Received: 1499 thanks
Bike(s): TallBoy LT, Woodie, MB-2
Favorite Trails: Calavera, 5 min from house
OldDogDan wrote:
I heard from a reliable source that a female rider recently had her bike confiscated at Calavera, and paid a fine and impound fee to get it back. I will get more details tomorrow, like where and when, and signage.

....and hopefully not get mine impounded too.

[update: unconfirmed - still trying to get more details]

Any update on said report???

[No]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:03 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5010 thanks
Received: 5044 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
Saw 2 cops on 2 seater go by Skyhaven Sunday. Think they were Oside cops.

-Big Clyde

The following user would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:46 pm 
Urban Yeti
Urban Yeti

Given: 8541 thanks
Received: 11528 thanks
Bike(s): Orbea Wild, SC Chameleon
Favorite Trails: CDF&G land
Carlsbad Update

August 24, 2017

I have received a number of emails from folks lately and wanted to provide an update on progress on Calaveras officially known as Carlsbad Highlands Ecological Reserve (CHER). We have had several meetings with California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW), the owner and land manager of CHER, to talk about how to move forward. I want to be clear that currently there are no legal trails within CHER outside of the two fire roads within the property and hikers are the only user group allowed on those trails.

SDMBA’s goal from the onset of this project is to come to a reasonable compromise with CDFW on public access within the Reserve. At this point we have produced and shared maps with CDFW, these maps do not contain trail priorities, but rather all impacts on the property. We are attempting to first discuss zones within CHER that CDFW would find appropriate for trails. From there SDMBA believes the best way forward is to organize a public forum where trail users can provide their own feedback on priorities within the Reserve.

Since our last presentation to the community in Carlsbad on June 14, we have held several meetings with CDFW including all local San Diego Supervisors within the office, the regional director for Southern California, and even been in correspondence to the Director of CDFW in Sacramento. We also had a meeting with Senator Bates to discuss this issue with myself and some local residents. SDMBA’s President, Kevin Loomis, walked the property with the Reserve Manager recently as well and attempted to highlight the urban pressures on this property. SDMBA has also engaged with the City of Carlsbad at several levels to make it known we would take significant issue with the City of Carlsbad providing enforcement on CDFW’s property.

I do not want to make any promises. This has been and will continue to be a slow process. CDFW has committed to a partnership with SDMBA to attempt to find a solution to the problem on this property. But it is important to note how many eyes are on this process and we recently became aware of a letter written by a coalition of prominent conservationists in San Diego warning against unfettered access to preserved lands by mountain bikers. The seriousness of this letter is significant and I would encourage you to read it here.

Many of you are asking what is the status of enforcement on the property and although I cannot answer that question for you definitively, CDFW has not enjoyed the increased scrutiny that was brought on them recently and has taken little action on the property since. The City of Carlsbad is also wary of stepping into the bees nest at CHER by using their new ranger program to provide enforcement for the State.

We will continue to work towards a durable solution at CHER and keep the public in the loop on all negotiations and changes. We all have a stake in this process and all share responsibility. The damage to the property, and the habitat is significant at this point. Further trail building and destruction of habitat will most likely lead to further enforcement. If you have any concerns to report, please send along notes and/or photos as appropriate.

SDMBA believes there is a solution to be found between CDFW, City of Carlsbad, conservation groups, mountain bikers and the public. This can only be accomplished through community buy in and local stewardship.

Ben Stone

SDMBA Vice President
bens@sdmba.com

:cheers:

avidtest

"it makes mountain biking fun again"

Ozzer

The following 3 users would like to thank Big Clyde for his or her post:
Dirtrider, J.A.M., OldDogDan