PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:33 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 499 thanks
Received: 1771 thanks
Bike(s): Monocog SS 29er
Favorite Trails: Skinny & dirty
Throwing out an idea...

I keep walking my dog past this place and wondering what would be the impediments to working with the city putting in pump track(s) or something like that -- predominantly for the younger crowd.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7377178 ... a=!3m1!1e3

It's on Liberty Station city park property, but is very underutilized (except by a few homeless). I suppose that's because it's right under the takeoff path of Lindbergh and very noisy. It's become somewhat overgrown, but there is a lot of existing "infrastructure" -- concrete picnic tables on flat DG pads, charcoal grills, walking & riding paths, drinking fountains and trash cans.

Pros:
- existing infrastructure; flat
- a CRAP-ton of parking
- Nearby shops, public market, restaurants (incl. Corvette Diner for the kiddos), Stone, etc.
- Other recreation in the area -- big grassy fields, paths, playgrounds, kayaking / SUPing

Cons:
- City park property
- Noisy
- City park property
- Coastal commission(?)
- Traffic heading North during rush hour and on Sundays (Rock Church)

Anyway, wanted to get that off my chest in case anyone smarter than me (which is likely everyone) can see any kind of potential with this.

TIA, Frank

The following 3 users would like to thank random walk for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:53 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 722 thanks
Received: 315 thanks
Bike(s): Trek EX9, Trek Superfly
Favorite Trails: Any single track
random walk wrote:
Throwing out an idea...

I keep walking my dog past this place and wondering what would be the impediments to working with the city putting in pump track(s) or something like that -- predominantly for the younger crowd.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7377178 ... a=!3m1!1e3

It's on Liberty Station city park property, but is very underutilized (except by a few homeless). I suppose that's because it's right under the takeoff path of Lindbergh and very noisy. It's become somewhat overgrown, but there is a lot of existing "infrastructure" -- concrete picnic tables on flat DG pads, charcoal grills, walking & riding paths, drinking fountains and trash cans.

Pros:
- existing infrastructure; flat
- a CRAP-ton of parking
- Nearby shops, public market, restaurants (incl. Corvette Diner for the kiddos), Stone, etc.
- Other recreation in the area -- big grassy fields, paths, playgrounds, kayaking / SUPing

Cons:
- City park property
- Noisy
- City park property
- Coastal commission(?)
- Traffic heading North during rush hour and on Sundays (Rock Church)

Anyway, wanted to get that off my chest in case anyone smarter than me (which is likely everyone) can see any kind of potential with this.

TIA, Frank

I'm no smarter on stuff like this but hey, why not? I think you pitched some pretty good benefits for an under utilized area. It never hurts to ask and the worst thing that can happen is they say no.

The following user would like to thank GForce for his or her post:
Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:21 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7311 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
There's probably no good reason why it couldn't happen, but no doubt powers that be could come up with a lot of BS reasons. Seems like the only way to get something like a pumptrack to move forward is to get the support of a city council member or county supervisor who really wants it and can cut through the red tape.

The following user would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:06 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 356 thanks
Received: 549 thanks
Bike(s): I like bikes
Favorite Trails: Any
Draft a letter of support and take it to some of the local businesses. Ask them to read and revise it. Compile changes and revisit the businesses and ask them to sign it. Maybe a few of them could put some money behind the project. Ask for a meeting with Point Loma and San Diego City representatives. This will get the ball rolling.

Stantac stantec.com is a local park designer / builder. They do skate and bike parks. Many of the bike park designs that come out of IMBA are Stantec. Irvine is using them for a possible design.

A paved park like VeloSolutions is most likely due to maintenance costs but probably more expensive.

Expect the process to talk a LONG time even tough it should not...

The following user would like to thank J.A.M. for his or her post:
Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:14 pm 
Bajacabra
Bajacabra

Given: 7412 thanks
Received: 7175 thanks
Bike(s): Turner 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: SART, Thounder Mtn,Sweetwater
We have being pushing for sowthing like this be build somewhere, there's a park in South San Diego that is including a Kids Bike Playground but is pending approval from the city.
I believe this concept of Bike playgrounds can open the eyes of city officials and better understand what's next: pump tracks and full bike parks.
We saw this particular Bike Playground in Bentonville, Arkansas during the IMBA World Summit and it was full of kids and parents having a great time.

https://youtu.be/4Vmtqh4kCjg

The following 2 users would like to thank bajamtnbkr for his or her post:
Canaan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:13 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5192 thanks
Received: 1036 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
This is also in the Mayors' back yard.

Plus, it's about time the McMillan company paid back a bit more on the multi-billion dollar land the City Council and Mayor gifted them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:23 am 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
Spoke with Doug Johnson last night about the Pardee pump track in Carmel Valley. We first learned of it last year when working with Allan Kashani on the Appendix Trail at the top of Cobbles. There is a small neighborhood park going in close Canyon Crest Academy, off the 56 and Carmel Valley Road. The groundbreaking is happening this month. They are including a small, hard feature pump track for the kids. Nothing monumental but it is a start. Maybe from this modest offering, the city will understand the value and benefit? Time will tell.

The following 4 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
Canaan, Dirtrider, Ld00d, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:26 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23199 thanks
Received: 17225 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
^^^ Thanks, hope so. Up north a ways, I understand Perris has a small pump track already, and Temecula is planning one. Haven't heard anything in a while about the nearly completed one in Valley Center.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:18 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 7 thanks
Received: 92 thanks
Bike(s): BMX, MTB, Road
Favorite Trails: All
bankerboy wrote:
Spoke with Doug Johnson last night about the Pardee pump track in Carmel Valley. We first learned of it last year when working with Allan Kashani on the Appendix Trail at the top of Cobbles. There is a small neighborhood park going in close Canyon Crest Academy, off the 56 and Carmel Valley Road. The groundbreaking is happening this month. They are including a small, hard feature pump track for the kids. Nothing monumental but it is a start. Maybe from this modest offering, the city will understand the value and benefit? Time will tell.

Should be ready to ride around September 2018. It's a Design/Build by Sphon Ranch Skateparks at Pacific Highland Ranch Community Park. Really Nice Park. Looks like a fun track layout, but I cant figure out how to post it. It's not dirt, but will still be fun to play around on.