All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:54 am 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
If anybody here knows who is adding pirate features to Lilac Canyon trail at Black Mountain, please get them to stop. The Ranger contacted me yesterday and asked if I knew about them and who was responsible. I don't know who it is but not only are they wrong, they are bad and damaging.

Ex 1 - A side kicker that goes up the slope and will ultimately destroy the bank. Besides there is not a good landing and it is on a blind corner leading to a stupid transition (Ex 2)

Ex 2 - The corner just below ex 1 is a drainage where a solid retaining wall was build to create a solid line (green). Instead the shadow builder chose to undermine the wall and clear a transition BELOW the wall, removing supporting materials (Red). Again on a blind corner. I won't even go into what damage can be done to the habitat this way...

Ex 3 - Now the builder took a water deversion feature and added nearly two feet to it. The jump is on a curve where riders will be forced to the outside to maintain a line. The jump was build over the edge, supported by only brush. No landing or transition.

Ex 4 - Berms can be a good thing when built correctly. This one is a good idea, just poorly executed. If you use material to build one, you cannot mine it from the inside of the curve. As a result, the inside line is below grade and will quickly become a swimming pool in the rain and very sandy in the dry season.

This needs to stop now. This trail is a multi-use trail. There is a planned flow trail coming down the west side of the mountain that can easily accommodate the needs of a rider looking to get some thrills. Problem is if crap like this keeps popping up it can really jeopardize the process. The Rangers at Black Mountain are some of the most accommodating rangers in county. If you want to add some tech, talk to them first or get involved with the trail builds as they come up.

Please don't let someone's personal needs for thrills destroy the good will we have at Black Mountain.

The following 7 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
65mph12, Canaan, Dirt Pedaller, Dirtrider, KIMO, Ld00d, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:40 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10484 thanks
Received: 7541 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
bankerboy wrote:
If anybody here knows who is adding pirate features to Lilac Canyon trail at Black Mountain, please get them to stop.

The Rangers at Black Mountain are some of the most accommodating rangers in county. If you want to add some tech, talk to them first or get involved with the trail builds as they come up.

Please don't let someone's personal needs for thrills destroy the good will we have at Black Mountain.

Bankerboy- I totally agree with everything you wrote especially about these rangers. The Ahwee trail is getting modified a bit also.
While I agree trails should have features, not all trails or places on the trail lend itself to building them. After digging up there for many weeks anyone will find that out quickly. The choice to leave the "rock garden" section for the new trail is a perfect example of leaving some tech sections for those who like to ride them. If you can't ride it then get off the bike and walk it but don't sanitize it. Learn to ride it. We need to build more challenging trail for those who like the thrill but Lilac isn't that trail to butcher up. It's pretty tight for most of that trail and has sections that keep your attention as is.
In the coming sections being built on east ridge there should be proper areas to build features, berms and /or alternate lines but it all takes time and effort from many. The building season is quickly fading out and the basic trail line has to be constructed first. Then we can go into sections and add in more fun!

These rangers quoted above^^^ have been very open to building DH style trails and will work with those who want to lend a hand. They have to be approved and built correctly and safely. I don't see them signing off on 20' gap jumps but they did keep many sections as we wanted. Hell, Ed even used his winch to pull that log ride onto the trail :bang:

Please listen to BB and not dig features into this really nice Legal trail. Come to a build day and discuss your wants & desires with the rangers first.

Mike

The following 5 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
bankerboy, Canaan, Dirt Pedaller, OldDogDan, rodster
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:41 am 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 7 thanks
Received: 7 thanks
Bike(s): Rocky Mountain RMX
Favorite Trails: PQ Canyon
For the jump in the third pic, that might be the waterbank jump I built with SDMBA on the east side of Black Mountain. Not sure if it is the same jump, but if it is, then I've built it pretty well to the point where it's easy to roll over and if you know what you're doing, you can launch like 10 feet off it.

The following user would like to thank Nitrodude50 for his or her post:
bankerboy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:23 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 379 thanks
Received: 982 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Anthem 29er
Favorite Trails: flowy single tracks
No this isn't the roller you built. This is an ass over tea-kettler unless you manual into it - Baja boobytrap special.

The following user would like to thank rodster for his or her post:
bankerboy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:07 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2093 thanks
Received: 1460 thanks
Bike(s): Sirens: Song and John Henry
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca
I ran into Ranger Carey on Lilac today. He expressed dismay at this rogue building. It will take resources away from other things that are needed to undo this damage.

The swimming pool berm turn is an abomination, and that "roller" in the middle of the trail is so short and steep that I high-centered on it trying to roll over it (I was heading uphill there).

And as far as I know, there has been no sdmba work on lilac since the bridge building session a year ago. This all popped up in the last 2 weeks. This is not the work of sdmba. I'm guessing a set of displaced builders from TW are moving into Black Mountain, and are doing their very best to wreck the relationships we've built with one of the few bike friendly rangers in San diego.

The following 5 users would like to thank OhNooo for his or her post:
bankerboy, Dirt Pedaller, Dirtrider, OldDogDan, rodster
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:54 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7322 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
Unfortunately the only thing you can really do unless caught in the act is to dismantle all this work as soon as it pops up. You could put up a sign at each end asking people not to modify the trails, and that is not a bad idea, but it will likely disappear rather fast.

The following 2 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
Dirt Pedaller, Dirtrider
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:34 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Has this been repaired as of yet?

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:44 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
Yes. I took care of half of it on my survey. All I had was my hands and a digging stick. Very caveman-ish. Ranger Carey came in with tools and fixed the rest. I will probably head out there tomorrow with the girls and check it out.

Before

After

Before

After

The following 4 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
Canaan, Dirtrider, OldDogDan, rodster
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:58 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23231 thanks
Received: 17285 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
OhNooo wrote:
...are doing their very best to wreck the relationships we've built with one of the few bike friendly rangers in San diego.

That's surely not their intention even if it is a possible outcome. It would be great if a local rider could find out who it is and approach them in a friendly manner to educate them and redirect their energy. Best outcome, could be a strong young guy who could learn good trail building skills to contribute to sanctioned work, and make up for some of us old farts who don't have the muscle anymore. Next best outcome is for him to stop or go elsewhere more acceptable. Best if it's a local who can have that conversation without getting too confrontational.

The following 4 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
24v, bankerboy, Dirtrider, rodster
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:15 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

OldDogDan wrote:
OhNooo wrote:
...are doing their very best to wreck the relationships we've built with one of the few bike friendly rangers in San diego.

That's surely not their intention even if it is a possible outcome. It would be great if a local rider could find out who it is and approach them in a friendly manner to educate them and redirect their energy. Best outcome, could be a strong young guy who could learn good trail building skills to contribute to sanctioned work, and make up for some of us old farts who don't have the muscle anymore. Next best outcome is for him to stop or go elsewhere more acceptable. Best if it's a local who can have that conversation without getting too confrontational.

Ranger Ed had a good conversation with 4-5 DH guys and he's willing to build that type of trail, in due time.. The plan is to get as much if not all of the planned trails completed first and then things can branch out from that baseline of trails.
This whole county need trails for that type of riding. I'll bust my old tired back helping to build em but prolly won't be hitting them :crying:

Mike

The following 2 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
24v, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:01 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 379 thanks
Received: 982 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Anthem 29er
Favorite Trails: flowy single tracks
Once I took care of some work business this morning I bailed out, secured some tools from the ranger staff, and mosied over to Lilac to gold plate what Matt and the ranger staff had started.

I'm in no way wigged out by this rogue building. That was me 20 years ago. Had my head up my ass but intentions were all good.

carry on, nothing to see here. Move along.

The following 3 users would like to thank rodster for his or her post:
Canaan, Dirtrider, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:53 am 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 7 thanks
Received: 7 thanks
Bike(s): Rocky Mountain RMX
Favorite Trails: PQ Canyon
Those aren't the builders at TW, trust me. I know their work and they're not that sloppy. This person/people are making small, useless features. The TW builders go for flow and consistency and don't build on legal trails.

The following 4 users would like to thank Nitrodude50 for his or her post:
bankerboy, Dirtrider, OhNooo, OldDogDan