PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:05 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
Monday, February 9, 2009
Our guide to trail etiquette and staying safe on busy trails.
David Whiting
Columnist
The Orange County Register
dwhiting@ocregister.com

I'm in the zone, running a short stretch of single-track trail, hearing but not listening to my iPod. Suddenly, someone is yelling nasty words.

Weird. I don't remember Bono swearing. A split second later, I'm out of the zone. Way out.

There's a mountain biker about six inches behind me. But he is not a happy mountain biker, and he lets it me know in no uncertain terms.

I'm blocking his trail, I'm ruining his ride and I resemble part of my backside. Soon, we're exchanging words. He rides off as I shout something about trail laws and safety.

But I'm off-base in three ways. First, letting my emotions get the better of me only ruined my run. Second, the guy had a point. I should be aware of my surroundings, and could have been glancing behind occasionally. Third, and most important, there are no laws governing who has the right of way.

But there is trail etiquette. And knowing some simple, universal rules can go a long way toward avoiding misunderstandings like mine, and make our sometimes busy trails safer.

HIKERS (ANYONE ON FOOT)
Right of way: You have the right of way over mountain bikers, but need to yield to equestrians. If you're running, walk while you pass the horse.
Myth: These folks are tree-hugging types who want the trails all to themselves.
Reality: Many are mountain bikers and equestrians as well. And they are happy to share the trail. They just don't like the bejabers scared out of them by some mountain biker ripping along.
Special tips: Don't be a trail hog. Yes, you have the right of way. But cut cyclists some slack and step aside if there's room – and no poison oak.

MOUNTAIN BIKERS
Right of way: You have the right of way over no one, and need to yield to hikers and equestrians. One note: Downhill mountain bikers should yield to uphill mountain bikers.
Myth: Mountain bikers destroy trails with their fat tires, ruin the wilderness and don't care about the natural world. They carve illegal trails whenever they can get away with it. They just want to go fast
Reality: Mountain bikers do more trail maintenance than any other group I know. They care deeply about nature, and most are careful to stick to official trails. Plus, many mountain bikers cross train running trails. But the part about going fast is true, although none wants to scare anyone. Really.
Special tip when there's a horse: Ask the rider if you are unsure what to do. Some may prefer you get off the bike and walk it. Others may not care.
Special tips when there's someone on foot: Feel free to say "hi there" or "excuse me" in a loud voice. If they don't react, consider two things: One, they may not hear you. Two, there is poison oak along the trail.

EQUESTRIANS
Right of way: You have the right of way over hikers and mountain bikers.
Myth: Horses will kick you if you are behind. People on horses don't care about trails and leave poop all over.
Reality: Some horses are skittish. That's why equestrians have the right of way. But I've been around horses for years and have never been kicked. Many equestrians clean up horse poop.
Special tips for cyclists and hikers: Again, ask the rider if you are unsure what to do. Many horses recognize humans as safe. Speak in a quiet voice to let them know you're a person. And if your silhouette is changed because of a mountain bike or a big backpack, get off the bike or take off the pack.
Special tips for equestrians: Let hikers, runners and cyclists know what's best for your horse.

ETIQUETTE FOR ALL
Be friendly – Wave, say hi, tell someone in training they are doing great. Why? It's just cool.
Keep dogs on a leash – If there is any chance Fido will chase a runner or jump on them, use the leash. The runner doesn't know if Fido is going to bite. I'll add that dogs are banned from many parks, but that seems a bit harsh for our furry friends.
Don't block the trail – If you stop, pull over. If you are in a group, leave room for someone to pass.
Pass on the left, stay to the right if there's room. When you do pass, let folks know. "Hi, passing on the left" works.

David Whiting is the Register's news director. His column appears Tuesdays and he can be reached at 714-796-6869 or dwhitting@ocregiser.com.

The following 4 users would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, Big Clyde, EBasil, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:55 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
Gotta direct linky-link thingy for that?

Edit: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/mountain-way-right-2303585-trail-bikers# :bang:

The following user would like to thank EBasil for his or her post:
moondogg
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:41 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 146 thanks
Received: 293 thanks
And where might these poop-cleaning equestrians be?

The following user would like to thank sladnas for his or her post:
moondogg