It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: SDMBA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:24 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10468 thanks
Received: 7514 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
Unfortunately for everyone, there has been politics in-bedded inside every company/group to project a certain image, be it right or left.
Subi seems from their sponsorship's to be leaning to the left a bit.
I'm not writing this to toss in a view but it's here. Some companies have seen benefits, other have been hurt. I did love my old 1980 Brat tho..

SDMBA should stand on it's own two legs and forget the donations to nowhere for IMBA. Hire someone to help push through ideas/plans/etc to the local politicians and keep the rest for beer at trail days :cheers: :cheers:

Another great day to ride locally built trails without the help of IMBA but fully supported by SDMBA :thumbsup: :bang: Go get you some

Mike

The following 2 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
avidtest, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:50 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 379 thanks
Received: 982 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Anthem 29er
Favorite Trails: flowy single tracks
I surely don't know the real reasons behind Subaru quitting as an IMBA sponsor but . . .

If I've been donating to a particular charity for 19 years and make a conscious choice to not donate in year 20 something triggered me to pull support.

It's not as if Subaru is skint. Can be clearly seen on their website that they sponsor many organizations.

I cannot envision that Subaru has a problem with IMBA's mission statement. As for specific issues such as e-bikes and wilderness access, I doubt they give a rat.

Without any details I have to read between lines and from the nosebleed section looks to me like someone at IMBA screwed the pooch.

The following 4 users would like to thank rodster for his or her post:
Canaan, Dirtrider, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:07 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2093 thanks
Received: 1460 thanks
Bike(s): Sirens: Song and John Henry
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca
Here is a very detailed article about IMBA on pinkbike:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/your-trails-future-may-depend-on-this-man-2.html

The comments at the bottom are brutal.

The following user would like to thank OhNooo for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:58 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7311 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
I would expect nothing less from pinkbike.

The following user would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:58 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1554 thanks
Received: 1633 thanks
Bike(s): Tracer275, Stumpy WC
Favorite Trails: I like single track
Even before this recent backlash against IMBA I was kinda put off by their Trail Crew 'efforts' last year. If I remember correctly, if one wanted to participate in helping construct the trail at the top of and across the street from the Duck Pond on DMM, one was asked to undergo a training day the day before. I wanted to help the day of but did not because of the half day required the day before. It seemed rather arrogant of IMBA to come in say local trail builders should have to 'train' how to build on their local terrain. Hopefully Subi doesn't lean more towards the Sierra Club-conservation sans recreation.

The following 2 users would like to thank ajdonner for his or her post:
bankerboy, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:22 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

ajdonner wrote:
Even before this recent backlash against IMBA I was kinda put off by their Trail Crew 'efforts' last year. If I remember correctly, if one wanted to participate in helping construct the trail at the top of and across the street from the Duck Pond on DMM, one was asked to undergo a training day the day before. I wanted to help the day of but did not because of the half day required the day before. It seemed rather arrogant of IMBA to come in say local trail builders should have to 'train' how to build on their local terrain. Hopefully Subi doesn't lean more towards the Sierra Club-conservation sans recreation.

That is exactly the opposite take-away from my experience that day. It was not split into 2-days, but was billed as a 1/2 day AM class, and then a 1/2 day of PM trail building in the field to put the training into work. I was looking forward to the first AM classroom session and I learned quite a few good tricks on how to measure offslope to ensure proper drainage in that class. Then we grabbed a quick lunch and met at the job site. We walked the track, using sight glasses to measure slopes to reposition a section of trail where the initial cut just didn't make sense. A year later after lots of rain, the trail has held up well. I could not think of a possible improvement to the way that class was run.

But that was that one good day... does it make sense to stay in IMBA??? Probably not...

The following 5 users would like to thank OhNooo for his or her post:
ajdonner, bajamtnbkr, bankerboy, Canaan, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:50 am 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
Sorry it came off that way. We were trying to leverage the IMBA Trail Crew.

The Trail Crew day was a one day thing that was sponsored by Subaru and IMBA. On the one day in March it was a class room and field learning experience. That was a joint decision by SDMBA and IMBA.

There was some discourse between trail builders and the IMBA team over what would and would not be completed on that day but it all came out fine. There were several other build days that fell under the usual requirements; it was posted, you would say your are coming, we would provide the tools, guidance, and SWAG.

I hope the one day experience didn't taint the enthusiasm for the project.

The following user would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:40 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5010 thanks
Received: 5044 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
Changing course here a bit, I wanted to mention the Pamo Valley/Orosco Ridge trail project between SDMBA and USFS. Now that is a killer thing! I renewed my SDMBA membership for Arch, which I now cannot do, but then I heard about the above project and it has me pretty excited.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/view ... 87,33.2762

-Big Clyde

The following 4 users would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
ajdonner, OhNooo, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:00 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2423 thanks
Received: 7311 thanks
Bike(s): Revel Rail, Spur, Carver Ti,
Favorite Trails: Hmm........
There should be more than that, too. We are looking at trail proposals to USFS for Mt Laguna to connect to Lucky 5 and also an all dirt Tour de Noble, as well as a trail connection from Lakeside to Ramona. All still ideas at this point but USFS seems supportive and we will be pushing to get these into their budget process for future years.

The following 4 users would like to thank evdog for his or her post:
ajdonner, OldDogDan, racerbill, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:02 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

evdog wrote:
We are looking at trail proposals to USFS for Mt Laguna to connect to Lucky 5.

^^ THIS!!!! ^^ I hate riding on sunrise highway to make that connection.

The following 2 users would like to thank OhNooo for his or her post:
Canaan, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:17 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Sorry about my rant, I just remember being annoyed and I came off as overly harsh yesterday. Dealing with a sick puppy's diarrhea...

Definitely not turned off to help. Sounds like there will be lots of opportunities coming up.

Kimba wrote:
Changing course here a bit, I wanted to mention the Pamo Valley/Orosco Ridge trail project between SDMBA and USFS. Now that is a killer thing! I renewed my SDMBA membership for Arch, which I now cannot do, but then I heard about the above project and it has me pretty excited.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/view ... 87,33.2762

Can you elaborate? The link goes to a map of the area and shows, in bold, the existing fire roads over towards Sutherland Lake; but nothing to the west.

Explored the fire roads out there, over the course of a couple of months, a little over a year ago with my dog by paw, foot and bike. It's a real cool area.

OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:17 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
Orosco Ridge is a huge (think several hundred thousand acres) area of forest service land that is amenable to trails. Right now there are none. SDMBA is working on drafting a plan that will get the first draft of a part of the trails plan. That part can easily support 20+ miles. The hole thing is a giant shaped piece of land stretching from north of Ramona up to the 76. It is EUGE!!!

Better yet, the land is contiguous. There are not separations created by parcels of private land. Imagine a 100 mile loop with multiple options. There are rock features out there that can be utilized in the same manor that they do in St George although not as vast. Black Mountain (the big one) is there. Lots of opportunity for climbing. Of course what goes up..........

Best part? The forest service came to us and said can you help us? Uh, ok, sure, if we have to.... :D

So much work to do to get a shovel ready plan in order. Just wait until the build days come. Lots of plans to make.

The following 5 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
ajdonner, Canaan, Dirtrider, Kimba, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:18 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23199 thanks
Received: 17225 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
This has great potential and is good news - understanding it will probably not move fast. The cooperating agency is USFS...but I think that pretty singletrack in Boden Canyon is under DFW control, is that right? So will probably remain off limits to bikes. Too bad since Orosco/Boden/SYTT makes a good loop.

The following 2 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
ajdonner, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:28 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

bankerboy wrote:
Best part? The forest service came to us and said can you help us? Uh, ok, sure, if we have to.... :D

Yeah, I knew all that other stuff. :wink: ^^^^This has the potential to be really cool.

bankerboy, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:40 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 666 thanks
Received: 1790 thanks
Favorite Trails: teh gnar
OldDogDan wrote:
I was definitely in favor of SDMBA joining IMBA several years ago, and I think it was a good move then, that paid off in a more professional image, and membership since then has doubled or tripled.

I took over SDMBA membership management in March 2011 and there were less than 200 members. Prior to integration with IMBA in late 2013, we had just over 600. Integration was a mess due to incompetent staff at IMBA, but after ~6 months of back and forth to get it right we had just under 800. I made a map around that time showing members per zip code and it was striking how many were north of I-8.
I think the largest post integration growth is due to adding members south of 8 while continuing to add/keep those north of 8. SDMBA's executive director (~100% payed for by SDMBA) has helped a lot with that and also the board members.

In other words, I don't think IMBA helped grow the SDMBA chapter much. For the record I was always against becoming an IMBA chapter, but at this time think it seems silly to leave. But I don't know many details these days, because I have been cut out of email traffic and don't attend any meetings. The emails I read from IMBA seem to suggest they are moving in the right direction.

Quote:
A quick Friday follow-up. Last week I sent an update regarding the direction of the chapter program. We at IMBA are excited and looking forward to engaging with you on next steps. Please watch for more details in the next weeks as we refine the changes.

Here are the main elements of Chapter 3.0 and some follow-up details:

● A $39 annual membership: this will begin on June 1, 2017.
● A 50/50 revenue split on individual and family memberships: you will begin to see the revenue share changes in in your Q3 revenue share.
● Membership processing with a priority on maximizing efficiencies: we are currently working with a consultant to help us streamline these processes and conserve resources. We are also working on new web and online membership tools, including CRM tools, with a target of summer unveiling.
● No further reductions of field/chapter support staff: we value the Region Directors as much as you do and are committed to maintaining a program where we can continue to have field staff.
● The IMBA Board of Directors will invite a chapter leader to join the board as a full board member. It will take some time to finalize the details, and our goal is to have this ready to roll out by June 1. We will be seeking your input.

Again, thank you for your commitment to mountain biking and creating more, better places to ride.

Thanks,
Dave Wiens

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next