It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: SDMBA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:29 pm 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11834 thanks
Received: 7004 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
For trail access issues, local events, trail news, or to sign up. I know we all already know this, but for any newcomers interested in supporting the local trail advocacy organization, the San Diego Mountain Biking Association is right here...
http://www.sdmba.com/

The following 5 users would like to thank Red Hot Sloth for his or her post:
dirtmonger, ewiccami, gabriel keating, OldDogDan, 406
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:25 am 
Darth Monger
Darth Monger

Given: 731 thanks
Received: 641 thanks
Bike(s): Firebird, Stumpy, Glory
Favorite Trails: off limits
Given the disturbing trends reported by Sniff and others, this one's one that you should mark. Especially if you like LPQ and love to ride Tunnels. And in case you really don't like horeback riders and the elitisit condescending attitude some of them have. :flame: Save a tree! Save the forrest! Eat more horsemeat! Buy more glue! :bang:

Attachment:
horsey.jpg
horsey.jpg [ 128.62 KiB | Viewed 31209 times ]

http://sdmba.com/index.php?option=com_j ... w&extid=92

If you care what happens to Del Mar Mesa and Carmel Mountain Preserves you need to attend this meeting. All the players will be at the table and SDMBA wants to make sure mountain bikers are well represented. We'll be there and we're asking you to show up with your helmet to support our cause.

Thursday, September 18th at 6:00 p.m.

Location: Canyonside Recreation Center, Canyonside Drive, west off of Black Mtn. Rd.

Post subject: Re: SDMBA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:04 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 9346 thanks
Received: 5395 thanks
Bike(s): Mantis Ghost
Favorite Trails: Vernal Pools
as much as i am not a fan of horse poop on the trail, and the seemingly large number of riders not in control of their animals, i think we have to nurture an environment of multi-use when it comes to our trails. the horse riders will be around, and they're not going anywhere. we have a mutual interest in trail access. if they're on our side, along with the hikers, we can fight the wackos that think riding a designated trail is harming the habitat of the burrow owl. what's harming their environment is pardee, who, in the middle of a mortgage crisis, saw fit to flatten a fourth of what we knew of as preserve...

The following 3 users would like to thank Ld00d for his or her post:
dirtmonger, OldDogDan, 406
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:18 pm 
Darth Monger
Darth Monger

Very good point. I guess one can get carried away a bit to lose sight of the real issue. I just like to ride in the shade and like the narrow trails. Making them fit for horses means I have to ride in the sun again. But in the bigger scheme you certainly are spot on. Nevertheless, I think we should be present and try to retain the ability to enjoy nature responsibly, including riding in LPQ. Urban development has not left much of nature intact as a whole. The corresponding knee-jerk reaction by environmentalists has unfortunately not helped either in finding an adequate balance between responsible access to nature for human use and preservation of native habitats. Speaking up for our desire to retain access is certainly an important element in establishing such a goal. Make yourself heard.

DM

The following 2 users would like to thank dirtmonger for his or her post:
Ld00d, 406
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:45 pm 
Darth Monger
Darth Monger

[quote="dirtmonger"]Due to more recent events in LPQ I righteously feel reinvigorated to make my case again. If you too, and for good reason, really don't like horses on the trail for as they inevitably tend to bring along their owners, which in no small number appear to be graced with an unwaivering sense of entitlement, then, my friend, you should start to eat horses. Horses are delicious with firm, yet tender meat, low in fat, that with proper and skillful preparation provides for a very pleasant dining experience. :flame: Save a tree! Save the forrest! Eat more horsemeat! Buy more glue! (different story) :bang: Ask your favourite purveyor of fine meats for locally raised, free range organic horse meat and indulge, knowing that you did your part while impressing your guests with a lavish feast.

Attachment:
horsey.jpg

quote]

Ride the bike, eat the horse. No more "droppings" on the trails.

DM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:05 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 223 thanks
Received: 848 thanks
Bike(s): IH 6.6 & Sunday,Giant XTC
Favorite Trails: Any ST with nice flow.
I have zero desire to join the SDMBA, I'd rather give $20 to Erik Basil for all his hard work.

The following 2 users would like to thank luna for his or her post:
EBasil, jonathan_sykes81
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:42 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5192 thanks
Received: 1036 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
luna wrote:
I have zero desire to join the SDMBA, I'd rather give $20 to Erik Basil for all his hard work.

Luna, I know exactly what you mean. SDMBA has not impressed me very much, but then, they’re the only game in town. Eric is not accepting donations as far as i can tell, so I send SDMBA my 20 bucks, and ask ‘em to just not go to the trouble to send me a “member” card and such.

I think a big part of the dissatisfaction extends to the advocacy policy. It seems to be difficult for them to differentiate between “assertive” and “confrontation so, many of SDMBA efforts in the LPQ DMM area ended up being little more than appeasement to that elitist cabal of equestrians and Sierra Clubbers. They get us to do the gruntwork of trailbuilding and maintenance, the stuff that they don’t have the manpower to do, and then respond to the “goodwill” efforts with a “Thanks”. Now, get out”.

Under this policy of appeasement, we have been worked and played for suckers ever since LPQ was founded back in the 80’s. The same thing that just occurred up on the Mesa happened back then too.

To keep doin’ the same thing, over and over, and somehow expect different results, is, as we all know a working definition of insanity. But since SDMBA is ALL we got in the way of advocacy, I’ll keep givin’ ‘em my 20 bucks, and avoid fraternizing with ‘em like the plague.

As a user group, and prolly the MAJORITY user group out there, we mountain bikers have also got the physical muscle to be plenty assertive when it comes to budget-cut authorities flexing their atrophied muscles of enforcement. So far, I’ve been respecting the Trail closure signs, while I wait out the “process” and see if this time, finally, the process will work.

But the prospect of many possible “Guerilla Advocacy” strategies looms larger all the time, and in the face of diminished and feeble enforcement capabilities, it’s lookin’ more likely, by the day.

The “Empire” is lookin’ sclerotic, and feeble.

BTW, I LOVE horses. Quarter horses, and Tennessee Walkers make wonderful trail animals. It's just the entitlement mentality of their owners that i have a problem with.

The following user would like to thank Ray Dolor for his or her post:
jonathan_sykes81
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:18 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 168 thanks
Received: 306 thanks
Bike(s): Gary Fisher Tassajara
Have you guys ever been to an SDMBA meeting? If you haven't, I suggest that you do, so that you can a better impression of how the organization works. SDMBA doesn't only work LPQ. They're done plenty of good work and have good relationships with land managers in La Costa, Daley Ranch, and Sycamore Canyon.

The following 4 users would like to thank OffRoadie for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, jonathan_sykes81, Supple1, 406
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:45 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

OffRoadie wrote:
Have you guys ever been to an SDMBA meeting? If you haven't, I suggest that you do, so that you can a better impression of how the organization works. SDMBA doesn't only work LPQ. They're done plenty of good work and have good relationships with land managers in La Costa, Daley Ranch, and Sycamore Canyon.

I have been. Once was enuf, i think. I applaud the positive effective stuff SDMBA does, like the trailwork days, which i've participated in. It's just that the helmet-in-hands, "please massah, can i ride the trail I done made for you" approach never worked with the Gentry in LPQ in the 80's, and it does'nt work with them now.

In general, I like the idea of "Give Respect to Get Respect". But in the case of certain types, it's more like you gotta TEACH them respect. That's what we face in LPQ/DMM.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:01 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 666 thanks
Received: 1790 thanks
Favorite Trails: teh gnar
Ray Dolor wrote:
But in the case of certain types, it's more like you gotta TEACH them respect. That's what we face in LPQ/DMM.

Ok, how do you do that?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:55 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

406 wrote:
Ray Dolor wrote:
But in the case of certain types, it's more like you gotta TEACH them respect. That's what we face in LPQ/DMM.

Ok, how do you do that?

Thank you for asking. First off, we need to wait until they have "reached" their final decision as to the dispensation of the trails up there. (Perhaps you suspect that "decision" was made long ago, in fact even before the big meeting last September. I certainly do).
Once the decision has been officially made, to ....gasp! close the trails to all but perhaps the horse community, then it will be time to discuss the modus of "Respect training" .....there's quite a few options, but all of them are in the realm of PM stuff. No use in tippin' yer hand to the stooges, and snitches, is there?

But in general, like in USMC Basic Training, it involves, in part, introducing elements of "experience" designed to point out the degree to which the "authorities" are really quite impotent in their enforcement capacity, especially in a year when the State will be hard-pressed to pay its' employees, F&G included.

But we don't wanna get ahead of ourselves, now, do we? Let's just wait/see how
the Gentry and their paid stooges play this hand out, however predictable it may be.

There will be time a plenty for action, to take a NEW tack, so to speak, after that ugly little spectacle has had its' 15 minutes of fame.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:41 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 70 thanks
Received: 187 thanks
Bike(s): Boulder Defiant/Foes FXR
SDMBA has been a "Reactionary" advocacy group. An issue surfaces, a decision is made to close a trail, etc., and SDMBA tries to influence the outcome of the decision.

The flaw in this approach is the decision has already been made. Although SDMBA has great working relationships with land managers across the County, on site managers, meaning Rangers, Rangers implement policy, for the most part.

SDMBA is in the process of changing from a reactive to a proactive advocacy group. The amount of work and time involved to commit to proactive advocacy can easily be compared to a full time job, 8 hours a day, five days a week.

A councilperson responds to an email you sent 5 weeks ago, saying they can meet TOMORROW, 9:45am. Or, P&R Board MAY take action on an issue. Meeting time, 2:00pm. You get the picture. We're introducing ourselves to the decision makers, building relationships, with the hope that one day we will be the "go-to" group on questions and issues involving trails in the County.

As of last April, I had no desire to be involved with SDMBA. As far as I could see, they never addressed issues that I was interested in, such as: not one legal DH trail in the county; upgrading existing crappy trails to not only be sustainable, but add tech. options; etc.

2009 will be a very important year for SDMBA. To keep putting on events, trail work days, but most important, work their ass off to be recognized as a player in trail decisions. Hard to be taken seriously when your own constituents don't back you.

The following 8 users would like to thank Boulder Pilot for his or her post:
moondogg, OffRoadie, OldDogDan, Phonger, Robo, Supple1, TCB, 406
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:29 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23199 thanks
Received: 17225 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Boulder Pilot is right. SDMBA is changing, and we need to add momentum. Many small whining voices don't get anything. Speaking as one voice with some money and smart and caring folks at the helm is our best shot. Those folks will burn out quick if they get no support. It's only $20 to join. Everyone on here should join and go to a trailwork day at their closest riding area at a minimum. The sh*t will hit the fan in the near future at Calaveras and we need SDMBA advocating for us. Join up and help fight for a future with mo' fun biking, or give up and just piss n moan. It's your choice.

The following 5 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
Boulder Pilot, moondogg, Red Hot Sloth, Robo, 406
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:11 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

OldDogDan wrote:
Boulder Pilot is right. SDMBA is changing, and we need to add momentum. Many small whining voices don't get anything. Speaking as one voice with some money and smart and caring folks at the helm is our best shot. Those folks will burn out quick if they get no support. It's only $20 to join. Everyone on here should join and go to a trailwork day at their closest riding area at a minimum. The sh*t will hit the fan in the near future at Calaveras and we need SDMBA advocating for us. Join up and help fight for a future with mo' fun biking, or give up and just piss n moan. It's your choice.

Well, like I said above, I give my money, but I'm more than a lil' burned out on the policy of appeasement and reactive-action, that has been SDMBA's mainstay.

I honestly don't think that I can drag myself to another one of their "meetings". I'll keep sending my yearly check, tho.

As to trail work, even tho my workweek includes a full day on Saturdays, I have in the past cancelled all my appointments on that day to attend a Trailwork event in the area. Several times. Since my "area" is the LPQ and DMM, and since they have closed virtually all the decent trail to bikes, I let Ranger Gina know that I see no further reason to even have a volunteer patrol, participate in trailwork, intervene when I catch illegal game poachers and vandals, etc. (All of which I actually HAVE done in the past, save for the official patrol thing).

Nope, this here is one "steward" of the land who "ain't gonna work on Maggie's Farm no more".....

The following user would like to thank Ray Dolor for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:39 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 70 thanks
Received: 187 thanks
Bike(s): Boulder Defiant/Foes FXR
Ray,

I can't argue with anything you said. Your comments reflect the views of many. Which means reaching our goals will take more time. This isn't a shot at Ray or anyone else, just me expressing the reality of the situation.

This is directed at Ray: You might want to check out our new Advocacy Committee. It will be organized at the next SDMBA meeting, 1-21-09, 7:00pm, MTRP Visitor Center. Even if you can't/don't make the meeting, this is something that I can see you being a part of.

The following 2 users would like to thank Boulder Pilot for his or her post:
moondogg, OldDogDan
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next