It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: SDMBA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:22 am 
Participant
Participant

Given: 7 thanks
Received: 92 thanks
Bike(s): BMX, MTB, Road
Favorite Trails: All
Plans are in the works for a Meet-up of all user groups to put pressure on the City, and prevent anymore closures until new trails are in place. Locations and dates in December will be coming soon. We will need everyone's support in getting this information out once the dates and location are released. Start rallying up your groups now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:14 pm 
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE

Given: 2657 thanks
Received: 3676 thanks
Bike(s): Nomad mk2, Giant Glory
Favorite Trails: the ones that go down, duh!
leadmoto wrote:
SDMBA is only as powerful as it's member. As representatives to the mountain bike community there are certain lines SDMBA should not cross.

:lol: :lol:
now thats funny, they actually carry quite a bit of weight around town.
if only they used it for the benefit of the entire mountainbike community...not just certain disciplines.

and regarding the lines; it appears to me they actually dont draw, cross nor challenge any (just or unjust) lines around SD...which leaves me (and others) wondering what they actually do besides sitting around at their meetings drinking hot cocoa :cheers:

The following 2 users would like to thank his highness for his or her post:
Big Clyde, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:37 pm 
Participant
Participant

his highness wrote:
leadmoto wrote:
SDMBA is only as powerful as it's member. As representatives to the mountain bike community there are certain lines SDMBA should not cross.

if only they used it for the benefit of the entire mountainbike community...not just certain disciplines.

and regarding the lines; it appears to me they actually dont draw, cross nor challenge any (just or unjust) lines around SD...which leaves me (and others) wondering what they actually do besides sitting around at their meetings drinking hot cocoa :cheers:

I don't sit on the SDMBA Board, and I'm as frustrated as you. I know It's not as black and white as you make it sound. These people volunteer their time to fight for the cause, and deserve some respect for that.

I assume you feel SDMBA favors XC over DH which I don't believe is true. I have to think XC is an easier sell then DH for several reasons. I am all for the gravity disciplines, and would like to see in become part of the Master Plan. Not just a dirt jump area, and pump tracks, but also fun DH flow track. It's a tall order I know, so feel free to laugh at that as well.

I hope Dirt Treaders members will support the cause, and show up when called upon. Thanks to everyone for your ideas and support.

The following 4 users would like to thank leadmoto for his or her post:
Canaan, chuckanado, his highness, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:00 pm 
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE

leadmoto wrote:
his highness wrote:
leadmoto wrote:

I don't sit on the SDMBA Board, and I'm as frustrated as you. I know It's not as black and white as you make it sound. These people volunteer their time to fight for the cause, and deserve some respect for that.

I assume you feel SDMBA favors XC over DH which I don't believe is true. I have to think XC is an easier sell then DH for several reasons. I am all for the gravity disciplines, and would like to see in become part of the Master Plan. Not just a dirt jump area, and pump tracks, but also fun DH flow track. It's a tall order I know, so feel free to laugh at that as well.

I hope Dirt Treaders members will support the cause, and show up when called upon. Thanks to everyone for your ideas and support.

I assure you I meant no disrespect by my post, although I can see that due to the way it was worded, it may come across rather 'disrespectful'.
I do respect the volunteer aspect of SDMBA, and perhaps its just my past interactions with certain members that left a bad taste in my mouth.
Lastly, I dont really believe that 'XC is easier to sell' vs. the other more extreme disciplines...and the reason I say this is simply because i have personally witnessed more accidents and trouble from lycra clad strava racers paying more attention to their times and iPod music than from any other discipline. Also the 'better than thou' attitudes of said lycra asshats is more than enough to highly piss me off, so I cant begin to imagine trying to sell that image to land managers....

anyways, no disrespect to SDMBA....i simply dont necessarily agree with their plan of attack (or defense I should rather say) to the current state of moutainbiking in San Diego.
and i truly believe that with the resources they have at hand, they could do a much better job of representing the entire mountianbiking community...which they 'claim' to do.
:cheers:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:19 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 1511 thanks
Received: 1049 thanks
Bike(s): Pivot 429 - Stumpy FSR
Favorite Trails: Over, Under, Sideways, Down
his highness wrote:
I assure you I meant no disrespect by my post, although I can see that due to the way it was worded, it may come across rather 'disrespectful'.

Too bad bicycles don't go anywhere when pedaled backwards... :D

The following 6 users would like to thank Earache for his or her post:
24v, Canaan, chuckanado, his highness, racerbill, rob240z
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:20 pm 
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE

Earache wrote:
his highness wrote:

Too bad bicycles don't go anywhere when pedaled backwards... :D

:lol: good one.
but just to set the record straight; i dont back pedal. I may apologize for you getting offended by me being an asshole, but i wont apologize for being an asshole.
if you or anyone else doesnt like my shit, then dont smell it....cuz i assure you it stinks just like everyone elses.

The following user would like to thank his highness for his or her post:
Earache
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:33 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 2267 thanks
Received: 3301 thanks
Bike(s): a sx'y one
Favorite Trails: the one to the taco stand
his highness wrote:
... I may apologize for you getting offended by me being an asshole, but i wont apologize for being an asshole.

i have no idea what that means, but it sure is funny.

and just to remind you, your sdmba membership fees are overdue.

The following 3 users would like to thank jSatch for his or her post:
Canaan, Earache, his highness
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:54 pm 
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE
INDIGENOUS ASSHOLE

jSatch wrote:
his highness wrote:
... I may apologize for you getting offended by me being an asshole, but i wont apologize for being an asshole.

i have no idea what that means, but it sure is funny.

and just to remind you, your sdmba membership fees are overdue.

The following 3 users would like to thank his highness for his or her post:
Earache, jSatch, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:56 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5205 thanks
Received: 1036 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
In the past I always described the policies of SDMBA and IMBA as 'Appeasement strategies' , and I've alway stated my opinion that such strategies seldom work.
Now, it seems like SDMBA and IMBA both are coming around to the same conclusions.

I'd say, "told you so!" but really, what difference does it make? It's what we, along with all the other trail-user groups do from now forward that is going to count.

The mistakes from the past are good for one thing.....to LEARN from them.

The following 5 users would like to thank Ray Dolor for his or her post:
Earache, his highness, Ld00d, OldDogDan, Red Hot Sloth
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:38 pm 
Participant
Participant

Here is a form letter, or write your own. Let get some letters out this week. See listing at the end of the Document.

http://www.icontact-archive.com/Dptky8j ... o7gojt?w=2

The following user would like to thank leadmoto for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:55 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 379 thanks
Received: 982 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Anthem 29er
Favorite Trails: flowy single tracks
I volunteer a lot of my free time doing advocacy work and working on events on behalf of the entire San Diego County ridership. Or perhaps better stated, I do it for the future generations of riders. It's pretty much a second full time job for me.

OK, I'm wired weird and I admit it. I don't expect anyone else to be as overcommitted as I am. I've been a liaison for SDMBA since 2009 and was president in 2012. Do I agree with everyone in leadership roles (past or present) in the organization. Oh hell no. I get frustrated by liaisons asking the controlling agencies the same questions and expecting different answers. Some other stupid shit too at times. That's not atypical of most volunteer organizations however. If you approach a SDMBA rep and don't get the support you want, seek out someone in the association that will. There's a lot of fresh faces involved with SDMBA these days. They are not jaded by past history. They are there to make a difference and I, for one, am thankful that each and everyone of them is making that commitment in time.

We're now building new trail at Black Mountain. That is huge. The new trails are all XC but . . .

there is an existing social trail that I fought to include in the trails plan. Frankly, it's not going to get ridden in a uphill direction. Which means it'll be ridden in the other direction. The riding community is building the new trails at Black Mountain. This adopted trail needs a lot of work too. I ask that the appropriate segment of the riding community engage with me now (edit: I am Chair of the park's Citizen's Advisory Committee - buy in and support by the CAC is essential) so that the end result of this trail is of as high value to that branch of biking as the new singletrack is to the XC folk. It's going to require grant monies to fund (I'm pretty sure) and an approved design will be needed in the grant request as well as buy in from the city. The sooner a core group comes together to spearhead this, the sooner the project becomes a reality.

Who's in?

The following 14 users would like to thank rodster for his or her post:
ajdonner, avidtest, bajamtnbkr, bankerboy, Canaan, Dirtrider, Earache, J.A.M., jhardeman, Ld00d, OldDogDan, racerbill, Ray Dolor, rob240z
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:55 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP0mQeLWCCo

[edited to embed video -ODD]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:16 am 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
There is good money out there. This one is a bit of a long shot given the time constraints.

The following user would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:13 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Was going to post the same thing. Put it this way. If they saw a grant request for this trail it wouldn't be the first time.

The following 2 users would like to thank rodster for his or her post:
Dirtrider, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:50 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23231 thanks
Received: 17288 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
I thought it interesting, and probably good, that this thread went a whole year without comment. It has reawakened. A while back, there were suggestions, among other things, that SDMBA should become an IMBA chapter, and that they should survey their members and share the results. They've done both. Here is a link to the survey results, including comments:

http://sdmba.com/site/2014survey/

The following 2 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
bankerboy, Dirtrider
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next