It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: SDMBA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:52 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5218 thanks
Received: 1040 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
Boulder Pilot wrote:
Ray,

I can't argue with anything you said. Your comments reflect the views of many. Which means reaching our goals will take more time. This isn't a shot at Ray or anyone else, just me expressing the reality of the situation.

This is directed at Ray: You might want to check out our new Advocacy Committee. It will be organized at the next SDMBA meeting, 1-21-09, 7:00pm, MTRP Visitor Center. Even if you can't/don't make the meeting, this is something that I can see you being a part of.

"BP" ,
I appreciate your expression of your perception of the "reality of the situation". I believe that from my previous comments, you can surmise that my perception of the same reality differs from yours.

Then again, I also realize that my own perception of "reality" differs considerably from MOST Americans. I first came to grips with that in 1972, when I just could'nt understand how such a vast majority of my fellow voters could have preferred Richard Nixon over the man I thought to be the clear, obvious, better choice. I've been getting used to living with the government that THOSE Americans deserve just about ever since.

OK, BP, so let's suppose that I drag my ass down to the SDMBA meeting ONE MORE TIME next week, in the hopes that I might find a glimmer of something in the way of a more reality-oriented CHANGE in the organization. (It will, after all, be only one day
after what I'm lookin' forward to as one of the few bright spots this country's politics in a long while.) Just keep in mind, that I am nonetheless not in a mood to be trifled with, lectured to, or Bs'ed, and if any of that goes on, BP, what will ensue is gonna be ON YOUR HEAD.

So, thanks for the invite.

The following user would like to thank Ray Dolor for his or her post:
Boulder Pilot
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:21 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 70 thanks
Received: 187 thanks
Bike(s): Boulder Defiant/Foes FXR
Ray,

You and I agree that the current advocacy mode (Reactive) doesn't work. You and I agree that proactive advocacy is the way real change occurs. You and I agree you will never earn respect without standing up for something you believe in, not continually bowing to the "massah".

If you are ready to help bring change to the way decisions on trail access are made in this County, bring your passion and your wisdom to the meeting. If your the type of person that cries if one doesn't get their way, don't bother. If you have valid arguments and someone starts spouting BS on how "This isn't how things are done here", you are more than welcome to follow me out the door. You read that right. It's on your head now.

Jason L. Showalter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:44 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5218 thanks
Received: 1040 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
Sounds good BP.

I'm not the type who cries too easy. I tend to make OTHERS cry, for good or for ill. So, I'll see you at the meeting.
And if worse comes to worse, I'll lead YOU out the door. We could always form our own advocacy trust-teaching "club", if worse came to worse.

Thanks to Eric, tho, things are lookin' better.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:19 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
luna wrote:
I have zero desire to join the SDMBA, I'd rather give $20 to Erik Basil for all his hard work.

Haha!! That was a cool thing to say, and saying it was enough. When I am fresh back from a meeting where opponents of multiuse trails have been battering me personally while my "brethren" try to generate good will by supporting the attackers ("Erik can be so unreasonable when he asks that you share trails, but we're not like that") and I want to just hang it up, I will scroll back to this. You're paid in full, brother.

Let me ask that you do send your $20 to SDMBA, though. The MTC has always just been a coalition of members of other groups and Ray Dolor is right: there's no fund to "fund". The Yahoo site is "free" and our strength has been in that we've been able to influence organizations including the SDMBA to be proactive in Los Pen and elsewhere. And the SDMBA is proactive, more than ever now. They don't need the money so much as they need the registration list, to demonstrate their representation of a major trails user group and to be able to incorporate the desires of more riders.

If you want to help the MTC and me, list yourself as a member even if you don't use the Yahoo site. It's not an exclusive club nor one in competition for members with the Back Country Horsemen, the Hash House Harriers or the SDMBA, but it's an organization that enables YOU to have a voice in Los Pen and the adjoining preserves (want to go further, step up and lead us there!). We have a representative on the LPCP CAC (Mr. Dean Kirby) and we/you are an organization that has been vigilant and focused on Los Pen, even when LPQ hasn't been the most rad, the most sexy, the most core etc... and even when it seems like it's just "me". Believe me, the best thing you can do is show up at meetings and self-identify as Multiuse Trails Coalition, then send your check to SDMBA and participate in trailwork days they or we set up. "It's just EBasil" is the number one attack being used lately.

"Proactive" doesn't mean we'll prevail on every issue, and that' probably not a surprise when I state it like that. "Proactive" IS getting us back into an active trail patrol (not rolling rentacops, but docents of stoke and cheer :shock: ), IS contacting your elected representatives or agencies even when not asked, IS spreading the word for letter/fax and phone campaigns over your corporate email net, IS attending meetings that cause your brain to implode, IS speaking out on issues not directly related to trail access, but rather to preservation of the land, IS responding with outrage when others spite your access or Agencies slight you in favor of haters and IS supporting SDMBA, the Trails Council, the Ramona Trails Assn or the BCHC just because they're there.

Lastly, I have to point out that SDMBA has been massively proactive in La Costa, at Daley, in MTRP, at BLT, at Noble and with the amazing Skills Park plan that will come to fruition. We wouldn't be riding those areas if it weren't for the dedicated folks that wear the SDMBA banner. Shoot, that oughta be worth the $20 right now.

The following 10 users would like to thank EBasil for his or her post:
Boulder Pilot, dirtmonger, luna, moondogg, OffRoadie, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor, TCB, wirk242, 406
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:12 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 781 thanks
Received: 783 thanks
Bike(s): Pivot Firebird, Highline
Favorite Trails: All
Luna, another reason to join, SDMBA, has a brand new shiny logo :thumbsup:
Attachment:
SDMBAlogofinalsm.gif
SDMBAlogofinalsm.gif [ 11.05 KiB | Viewed 10650 times ]

The following 2 users would like to thank TCB for his or her post:
moondogg, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:41 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 1505 thanks
Received: 1219 thanks
Favorite Trails: Crestridge
:bump: for something I havent read before

The following user would like to thank Los for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:59 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 394 thanks
Received: 297 thanks
Bike(s): Maverick ML8
Favorite Trails: All of Mt. Laguna
TCB wrote:
Luna, another reason to join, SDMBA, has a brand new shiny logo :thumbsup:
Attachment:
SDMBAlogofinalsm.gif

+1
I'll be there too BP & Ray....... and walk out if the BS gets deeper than our boots.. :thumbsup:

heck, maybe that is what SDMBA needs to see ....we've all been waiting many years to see the change to a pro-active approach... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:06 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Rat, this is just an old post from a year ago that I bumped.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:55 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 394 thanks
Received: 297 thanks
Bike(s): Maverick ML8
Favorite Trails: All of Mt. Laguna
oh, no shit! doyyyyy
guess I better take the meeting off my calendar.. :thumbsup:

edit:.... after thinkin about it, it's a sad reflection on SDMBA that I thought it was a current topic :shock: ......

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:26 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 781 thanks
Received: 783 thanks
Bike(s): Pivot Firebird, Highline
Favorite Trails: All
Ratigan wrote:
oh, no shit! doyyyyy
guess I better take the meeting off my calendar.. :thumbsup:

edit:.... after thinkin about it, it's a sad reflection on SDMBA that I thought it was a current topic :shock: ......

SDMBA elections are coming up, get on the board to change SDMBA.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:05 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 131 thanks
Received: 392 thanks
Bike(s): K2 Zed 4.0
Favorite Trails: San Juan, Caleveras, Nobel
just signed up for a year and i feel better already.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:55 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

I know there are a few new members around. BUMP!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:53 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 137 thanks
Received: 99 thanks
Bike(s): SC Superlight/Van Dessel Cross
Favorite Trails: Lake Hodges so far...
well, I just did my duty and joined SDMBA... it can't be a bad move IMHO... :D

The following 3 users would like to thank fourflys for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, evdog, moondogg
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:13 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 27 thanks
Received: 265 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Reign X1, Niner AIR 9
Favorite Trails: LC, NC, FOMBA, HP, BHs
Hey Guys, A few of the more "old school" guys on here know me, for those who don't I used to live in San Diego and was around when the whole tunnells thing started and when a [stalled?] upswell in support for an SD bike park started (2005?). Moved back to Boston in in 2008 and joined NEMBA (New England Mountain Bike Assoc). I've found that NEMBA is what alot of local SD Riders want from SDMA.

Here's an email that went out a few days ago from the Greater Boston Chapter (there a like 13 chapters and a monthly magazine for NEMBA). Not posting this to rile anyone or up or be negative, just sharing an example of some successful advocacy from another part of the country (note: by SoCal standards, this trail system would already be a sort of success story, there's already a complete MTB only loop and a large NEMBA event hosted there annually). Its nice to have the...other... user groups up against the wall.

The following is an Action Alert from Greater Boston NEMBA President, Adam Glick.
----------------------------------------

Greater Boston members, please take action:

** SEND DCR COMMENTS SUPPORTING FELLS TRAILS PLAN
** AMC MEMBERS SHOULD TELL THE AMC NOT TO OPPOSE THE TRAIL PLAN

DCR has been working on trails policy changes at the Middlesex Fells and has published a Draft Trails Plan which begins to address the decades-long, restrictive anti-mountain bike policies there. This plan is in the Public Comment Phase until November 19th.

NEMBA has been an active stakeholder in providing feedback to DCR on this plan along with others such as the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC), Mass. Audubon, Sierra Club, Friends of the Fells, etc.

Among the stakeholders, Sierra Club, Mass. Audubon and the Friends of the Fells have been strongly opposing any changes to the policy that would allow increased legitimate use of mountain bikes at the Fells. In a last ditch effort to try and prevent any change from happening, the above mentioned groups are trying to use a piece of legislation that requires the DCR to prepare a Resource Management Plan (RMP) for every park as a pair of handcuffs. They are alleging (incorrectly) that the DCR cannot make any changes without an RMP. It is clear that this is only a stall tactic to prevent changes to the mountain bike policy.

Where does AMC fit in? We have always seen the AMC as a sister organization since they are the other large trails-based recreation organization in New England. We were shocked when we found that the AMC signed a letter with Mass. Audubon and Sierra Club calling for halt to all changes until a full RMP has been completed. They did this without explanation or apology after telling NEMBA that they supported a change in policy.

We know that many NEMBA members are also AMC members and we thought those members should be aware of the anti-mountain biking stance that the AMC has recently taken. We fear that this is a sign of a policy change within the AMC.

What You Need to Do:

1. Read this page to get up to speed on DCR's plan and what do about submitting comments: http://www.gbnemba.org/home/entry/fells ... 10-18-2010

2. If you are also an AMC member, please attend the AMC Executive Committee Meeting on Monday, November 1 at 7:15 at 1st Baptist Church, 848 Beacon St (at Centre St), Newton Center where they will be collecting feedback from their members on the Draft Plan for the Fells. ***Tell AMC that they need to clearly support shared-use at the Fells and DCR's ability to make trails policy changes independently of the RMP process.***

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Thank you!

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Glick, President
Greater Boston NEMBA
http://www.gbnemba.org
adam@gbnemba.org

The following user would like to thank Evil Chocula for his or her post:
Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:09 am 
Necromonger
Necromonger

Given: 11836 thanks
Received: 7008 thanks
Bike(s): Push-Bike With Training wheels
Favorite Trails: Dirty Dirty Trails
Thanks for that...
I have been quite astonished everytime I see or hear someone in the Mt Bike advocacy groups state that the See Air Ah Klube is easy to work with, a valuable partner in multi use trails policy, open and honest...etc. I have posted and said itbefore, but that group has an anti mt biking stance, no matter what they say, thats the fact, they are a speciasl interest group with a lot of power and pull and quite honestly, as Mt Bikers we should consider them the enemy.
A former president from the IMBA went on the record a few years ago in an interview extolling some of the issues mt bikers have getting access rights and one of the things he brought up was the fact that the IMBA was trying to work with this other Klub thinking they would be a valuable asset in mulit-user access, so the IMBA would discuss with them what we (as mt bike advocacy-IMBA et all) were looking for, basically letting them know our game plan, and when we (as mt bike advocacy-IMBA et all) do/did that this other klub would turn around and lobby for no mt bike access in what ever fashion we were looking for it. Thats right, its like a poker game whether you like it or not and we let them see what cards we were holding...shame on us, shame on anyone who thinks we can work with that group and not get fucked. If you belive that giving them any info as to what our agenda is, your just another weak minded soft minded mark that is going to be their best asset...and they know that.
We need to take a stronger stance and actually dig in, not let our enemy know what our agenda is...working wth them is working against our cause. Why dos SDMBA have a link to them on their website? Wake up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 239 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next