PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:42 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
Thank you everyone.

We asked for help and boy, oh boy, did you answer. 120 riders, hikers, scouts, high schoolers, paragliders, bird enthusiasts, and spousal support made this one of the biggest trail days I have ever seen. We fed most of the workers and my sincerest apologies to those who we could only provide a liquid lunch. I hope that the trail and the beer made up for it.

We planned for a large group and we were able to accommodate everyone for parking.

The goal was to get as much of the lower trail from Carmel Valley Road over to the ball field parking lot done. It was ALL done in ONE day.

The conga line as far as the eye can see

A closer look

Does this violate child labor laws?

I didn't get as many pictures as I wanted so if you have anymore, please add them for all to see.

There is still some fine tuning to do but the lower trail is ready for you. Are you ready for it?

SDMBA Pics

Last edited by bankerboy on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following 13 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
avidtest, bajamtnbkr, Canaan, chuckanado, Dirtrider, KIMO, Ld00d, OhNooo, OldDogDan, rob240z, rodster, singletrackmitch, TrailBurner
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:04 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
Sorry I didn't make it. I planned to be there, but I missed work on Friday with the flu, and I can count on one hand how many sick days I've taken in 35 years of work. Still wasn't feeling great this morning, and at last check there were 80 volunteers. With 120 helpers, I know my labor wasn't missed but being there the first and last day would have been cool. Awesome job, Matt* -- thanks for spearheading this.

Edit: *Rod, too -- sorry, big guy . . . .

Last edited by Canaan on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following 2 users would like to thank Canaan for his or her post:
bankerboy, rodster
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:40 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Thanks Eric, but I have to give credit where credit is due.

Rodster was instrumental in getting all the swag, food, donations etc. Also a huge help was Mino. Those two made it really easy to look good. Without tools we would have had a hell of a time today. Lots of folks brought their own but the bulk of the tools came from Garder/SDMBA.

Ranger Ed is beyond exceptional. Besides all the usual praise I normally throw his way, check this out. There is an old utility pole that we all thought could be repurposed. Not only did Ed agree, he used his trucks winch to move two 1000 lbs (for real) boulders to create a line complimenting it. I want him, as well as Carey and Joe cloned over and over again.

The people today sealed the deal. Not comparing them to ants but you can totally see how a colony works. They may not move tons of dirt or rocks on their own but there are so many that every little bit made all the difference. We had 120 people showing there is a real passion out there.

We were interviewed by the Reader today and are trying to get an article in a local magazine 92129.
The more we get other people not normally affiliated with the trails to notice what is going on, the more clout we can get for future projects.

The following 12 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
ajdonner, bajamtnbkr, Canaan, chuckanado, Dirtrider, J.A.M., jhardeman, OhNooo, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor, rodster, TrailBurner
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:42 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 304 thanks
Received: 470 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt ones
Outstanding day. Brilliant job putting this all together.

I later rode the section from the ball fields to the bridge to the glider port. Pure bliss.

Kudos to the chef (and family). And that owl was freakin' awesome!

The following 3 users would like to thank TrailBurner for his or her post:
bankerboy, OldDogDan, rodster
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:58 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10526 thanks
Received: 7547 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
My neighbors, wife and I walked it this morning and it was so cool to see how many people are already using it. Bikers, runners, families just out enjoying the morning on sweet single track trail. It doesn't get much better than that :thumbsup:

Mike

The following 4 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
Ld00d, OldDogDan, rodster, TrailBurner
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:42 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10526 thanks
Received: 7547 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
Just got back from a ride out there. The trail from the miners loop parking lot to the end of the trail
(at the caution tape) is right at 3/4 of a mile. From that point headed down through the switchbacks and over to the park is a bit over 9/10 of a mile. We built almost a mile of ST Trail in one day.
Frigging incredible :thumbsup:

I had a wild Chuckanado sighting also. They are tall but friendly creatures that normally only come out during Arch ride/trail building season. Usually can be found near beer gardens and what not.. :cheers:

Mike

The following 7 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, bankerboy, Canaan, chuckanado, Ld00d, OhNooo, rodster
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:14 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

I haven't seen one on a bike out there a Black Mountain and over 5 years. It is a rare sighting indeed! Good for you.

Road the fire road to Nightfall, down Miner s ridge and across. Quite the little trail. Lots of rise and fall, not much to relax o. As you have to keep you wits up at all-times. Had a blast

The following 3 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
Canaan, Dirtrider, TrailBurner
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:40 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
I may need to ride somewhere other than Spring and Oak.

The following 2 users would like to thank Canaan for his or her post:
Dirtrider, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:57 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 379 thanks
Received: 982 thanks
Bike(s): Giant Anthem 29er
Favorite Trails: flowy single tracks
bankerboy wrote:
Thanks Eric, but I have to give credit where credit is due.

Rodster was instrumental in getting all the swag, food, donations etc. Also a huge help was Mino. Those two made it really easy to look good. Without tools we would have had a hell of a time today. Lots of folks brought their own but the bulk of the tools came from Garder/SDMBA.

Ranger Ed is beyond exceptional. Besides all the usual praise I normally throw his way, check this out. There is an old utility pole that we all thought could be repurposed. Not only did Ed agree, he used his trucks winch to move two 1000 lbs (for real) boulders to create a line complimenting it. I want him, as well as Carey and Joe cloned over and over again.

The people today sealed the deal. Not comparing them to ants but you can totally see how a colony works. They may not move tons of dirt or rocks on their own but there are so many that every little bit made all the difference. We had 120 people showing there is a real passion out there.

We were interviewed by the Reader today and are trying to get an article in a local magazine 92129.
The more we get other people not normally affiliated with the trails to notice what is going on, the more clout we can get for future projects.

To pull all of the various aspects together to make a successful day would have been a huge amount of work for me had I been working solo. A very tall order indeed. It was a team effort in every sense.

Matt does a great job and has been THE key in enabling the results delivered to the community thus far. Knowing that I don't have to worry about the aspects he's taken on. I can 100% focus on the aspects I need to take care of. Mino is super committed also and always is a key team member making sure events run smoothly.

Furthermore another key to the success yesterday was the presence of 13 trail bosses that were able to provide training and leadership to often completely inexperienced volunteers. The level of productivity surpassed my expectations. I barely slept Friday evening worrying that we had too many people showing up (too many cooks in the kitchen) and it would be a hindrance to productivity. Unfounded worries, as it turned out. Great job trail bosses!

Then there's Rich. I hope he's tracking how many hours he's been out mid week working solo building much of the Lilac trail single-handed. Any time I stopped by the park mid week to take look see, Rich's van would be in lot without fail. He's so stoked that he has permission to build new trail in San Diego that he can't help himself. 24/7 it's the only thing on his mind - he's in hog heaven!

And then the community volunteers themselves and their contribution and work ethic (I didn't see a single shovel leaner - everyone busted ass) were another example of the teamwork that assured the trail was completed before noon.

I thank each and every one of you for your contribution - you knocked it out of the park!

The following 11 users would like to thank rodster for his or her post:
ajdonner, bajamtnbkr, bankerboy, Canaan, chuckanado, Dirtrider, J.A.M., Ld00d, OhNooo, OldDogDan, TrailBurner
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:18 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Reader Story here

To clear the record, I was cooking at a million miles an hour and she was trying to hold a conversation with me. Not really sure how the most important quote I could produce was "You bunch of moochers will only do work for free food". Ah, the fun of out of context quotes.

The following 5 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
ajdonner, bajamtnbkr, OldDogDan, Ray Dolor, rob240z
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:21 am 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 304 thanks
Received: 470 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt ones
^^ Matt, I bow to your celebrity-ness. I suppose you'll be too good for us dirt laborers because, you know, you're part of the media crowd now. :lol:

The following user would like to thank TrailBurner for his or her post:
bankerboy