Bankerboy
Dirtrider
Random Walk
Bolo (tentative)
Chuckanado
Rich Julian
Evdog
Rodster

Ranger Ed Christensen and I started brushing the next section of the Lilac trail reroute today. Previously a plethora of volunteers knocked out the tread to the very end of the pre-brushed route. Our goal was to create a corridor for tread building this Saturday, Jan 3, 2015 (hint-hint)

At the end of the first section there was a significant amount of rock work needed. The next section will be just as fun/challenging once it is complete. So here is what was done in preparation.

Ed saddled up with the power tools - HUGE help!

Cutting the corridor. It was so dense it was best for me to hike out 15 yards ahead to map, flag and direct.

Yes, it is crazy dense. Can you spot Ed? We made it through the drainage around to the other side. We stopped at the boulder you see in the middle right of the picture.

It is raw and needs a lot of work still

An idea of what rock work needs to be done. Nice thing is there is a natural 2 foot ridge along this 30 ft section. Lots of good exposure.

Looking at it from the other direction

Just after we made it to this point, the cavalry arrived. Ranger Carey Goldstein and Ranger Joe DeWolf arrived and we were able to move twice as fast.

Joe hauling out some of the cuttings

More rough cut corridor

So, just like last time, it is short notice but if you can make it, please come and help. Last time we had nearly 30 people and it took until 1 pm to finish. This section is shorter but will require a lot of hand building.

Post up if you are coming. Show them you are going. We plan to start at 8 am and end at 1 pm. Be part of history! How often have you built a LEGAL new single track???

Last edited by bankerboy on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:07 am, edited 5 times in total.

The following 6 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
ajdonner, avidtest, Dirtrider, J.A.M., OldDogDan, Ray Dolor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:16 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10526 thanks
Received: 7547 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
It looks like I'm in :cheers:

Mike

The following user would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
bankerboy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:22 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 23307 thanks
Received: 17381 thanks
Bike(s): Yes
Favorite Trails: crooked & winding...
Dirtrider wrote:
It looks like I'm in :cheers:

Bring a Rogue Hoe.

The following 2 users would like to thank OldDogDan for his or her post:
bankerboy, Dirtrider
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:38 am 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
So both Sara and Hillary a coming? :wink:

The following user would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:10 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1101 thanks
Received: 1287 thanks
Bike(s): 2015 Norco Sight
Favorite Trails: Ones with no poison oak
Ok, add me to the list! Just secured my hall pass from momma, and the cold I've been fighting for several days seems to have relented - meaning, I'm running out of excuses NOT to go.

Question: will anyone be bringing a portable generator? I've got a Sawzall with some decent brush-cutting blades, and 150' of cord if you think that would be useful. (I also have a cordless Ryobi sawzall, but my old well-used NiCad batteries would be spent after cutting 2 or 3 branches - unless anyone has some fresh, newer Ryobi 18v batteries they'd be willing to bring...)

The following 2 users would like to thank chuckanado for his or her post:
bankerboy, Dirtrider
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:20 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 1 thanks
Received: 41 thanks
Favorite Trails: la costa
Went out this am with my grandson to walk the trail from the ballpark under the overpass and to the landing site for the hang gliders. That section will go in very quick. Then we went over to the parking lot for Miner's and walked in to Lilac. We could hear chain saws. Way,way over across the water shed where we had stopped last Saturday was Ranger Ed and crew bushwacking. How refreshing to have someone like Ed doing this. Where else in the City of SD is someone thinking ahead.

Rather then wait until your open space is completely surrounded by houses you are closing down crap old trails that never made any sense to start and building something you will be proud of and we will be stoked to use. Ranger Ed is getting way ahead of the curve and not waiting until the open space under his watch is being overrun by people the city is bringing to Black Mtns doorstep. An intelligent trails plan is being implemented before it becomes another "Tunnels Debacle" or another "Calavera Free For All".

This trail will make Miner's Loop accessible from La Costa or Sorrento Valley. Another island in the Archipelago. This should be an all hands on deck.
Rich Julien

The following 4 users would like to thank Cancel for his or her post:
bankerboy, Canaan, Dirtrider, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:29 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
Ed is setting up a meeting with Betsy Miller, the city biologist to formally identify which native grasses have to be avoided or transplanted along the lower trail. Once that is done, we will get the green light to tackle the Bridge to Ball field section. A substantial part is already machine cut. We need to go in and cut the last section by hand and finish the tread work on the machine cut part. I would imagine in the coming weeks we will be able to get to it.

When complete, you will be able to ride from Miner's ridge over to the ball fields and beyond without ever touching asphalt. This is a great connector.

The following 2 users would like to thank bankerboy for his or her post:
OldDogDan, TrailBurner
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:01 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 14906 thanks
Received: 5738 thanks
Bike(s): Marin Rift Zone 3; Budget SS
Favorite Trails: Cuyamaca; Fanita Ranch
I'm under the weather and can't make it tomorrow. Thanks to those of you who can, and thanks to the organizers and the Black Mountain rangers.

The following user would like to thank Canaan for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:21 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 304 thanks
Received: 470 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt ones
Sorry I can't make it tomorrow. Daughter has water polo tournament. I'll be back!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:36 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10526 thanks
Received: 7547 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
Rode Blk Mt and stopped by to talk to the Rangers and saw that they had cleared so much in so little time. They were on the other hill almost to the top, most north side already. Excellent progress for sure :thumbsup:

Totally agree with Rich and this is a missing link that has been needed for so long. It will link Blk Mt/Lusardi loop/ PQ/Crosby Switchbacks/Hodges/etc... all together by most all singletrack AND the rangers are leading the charge working with us. We all want to ride tomorrow. I get that but the weather and need is here now. Please see if you can make it out, even for a couple hours. It will make a difference. I'll try to bring a couple of refreshments too :cheers:

There's more to build at Blk Mt but getting this portion completed will be a real fun trail to link together rides as big as you want them to be.

Mike

The following 2 users would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
Canaan, OldDogDan
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:39 pm 
Lurker
Lurker

Given: 1 thanks
Received: 41 thanks
Favorite Trails: la costa
Big Trail Day Jan 31st Glider Port Black Mountian
Taffy15
mtbr member

Thanks for the offer. Be sure to mark your stuff with tape that you will pick out so you don't lose your tools. There is still a good amount of brushing that will need to be done up trail. I tend to leave things narrower then most and handle bar grabbers abound. So loppers are the bomb. The lower trail work going under the bridge over to the ball fields will consist mostly of benching which can be done with McCleods,shovels and rakes.

The trail alignment going to the ball fields is a meandering contour design that offers good views. The new plans at Black Mtn will be a very meaningful contribution to The Archipelago philosophy of tying together the open spaces that are left after they build out what is left of our Shangri-La. Prior to the new Lilac re-route the heart of the Black Mountain trail network was only accessible from OTHER open spaces if you wanted to hit the pavement. Now I will be able to ride from La Costa do Miners Loop all on dirt.

Little by little some of our open space managers get it and are thinking ahead, planning for increased use of existing trails by building new ones, closing crappy ones and replacing them with smart ones. But we still need more people at the city, county and state level to champion what we have known for a long time and that is to give people the kind of outdoor experience that revitalizes them within spitting distance of their front doors.

I hope there is a big showing next week. This work is being closely followed by the city bureaucrats and hopefully could become the template for more trails. The more there is community buy in the more this is going to repeat itself.
Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote

The following 5 users would like to thank Cancel for his or her post:
ajdonner, J.A.M., OldDogDan, Ray Dolor, TrailBurner
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:16 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 304 thanks
Received: 470 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt ones
Cancel wrote:
Now I will be able to ride from La Costa do Miners Loop all on dirt.

Music to my ears (and legs)!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:08 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 5218 thanks
Received: 1040 thanks
Bike(s): invisible ones
Favorite Trails: Whatever is left...
I will be there. I might be a bit late, but I'll bring brush pruning tools that I am skilled in using, as well as that 6' steel pry bar if any rock remains to be levered.

I'm good for the day as long as I take a break to go back to my van and re-dose with the antiinflammatory stuff i'm taking these days.
Getin' old is not a sissies' proposition.

The following 4 users would like to thank Ray Dolor for his or her post:
bankerboy, Canaan, Dirtrider, OldDogDan