Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 10526 thanks
Received: 7547 thanks
Bike(s): Specialized Levo Expert
Favorite Trails: Snipers Point, Doggo DH
J.A.M. wrote:
Some points:
I've heard them say there is not enough support for a bike park. They must be talking about internal support because 44% of the last survey respondents requested a bike park. 15% asked for pickle ball. Bikes have has as much if not more support as pickleball multiple surveys but pickleball is getting done.

Having four kids do just about every sport out there, I had to goggle pickleball. Having never seen or heard about it since you posted this makes me ask the question: Does a council member have connections, a brother in law, and donor, or friend that sells pickleball installations? You really should follow the money here and see who's hand it greases. :shock: (<<< not really shocked if it did)

Also, all my kids have ridden bikes, and their friends, and my neighbors....

Mike

The following user would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
Canaan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:24 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 5022 thanks
Received: 5056 thanks
Bike(s): Carbine
Favorite Trails: The Googliest
My guess is there are lots of old, active people in Carlsbad who like pickleball and have lots of time on their hands to lobby for it. Plus, it uses existing gym or tennis court space and requires no capital investment by the city. It probably has zero effect also on the city's liability exposure.

On the contrary, dangerous skills-type bike riding by reckless kids (and adults) on expensive city land built by very highly paid (thanks for the info avidtest) city workers is one big ass lawsuit waiting to happen, in their view. People on city councils who do not ride look at this kind of fact, not the fun kind.

-Big Clyde

The following user would like to thank Kimba for his or her post:
OldDogDan
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:35 pm 
deerhucker
deerhucker

Given: 1925 thanks
Received: 2930 thanks
Bike(s): Santa Cruz Blur LTc
Favorite Trails: any dirt with a challenge
Ha, I was thinking baseball when they were talking about pickleball. We would try to run between the bases and not get tagged out. Ah youth.......

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:10 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Kimba wrote:
My guess is there are lots of old, active people in Carlsbad who like pickleball and have lots of time on their hands to lobby for it. Plus, it uses existing gym or tennis court space and requires no capital investment by the city. It probably has zero effect also on the city's liability exposure.

On the contrary, dangerous skills-type bike riding by reckless kids (and adults) on expensive city land built by very highly paid (thanks for the info avidtest) city workers is one big ass lawsuit waiting to happen, in their view. People on city councils who do not ride look at this kind of fact, not the fun kind.

Great points Kimba. I was ASSuming that the pickleball courts/supplies were going to be new facilities made for this ever popular sport. All skepticism aside, it does look like it would be fun but I'd rather ride my bike, slowly... :oops: and have a brew afterwards. :cheers:

Mike

The following user would like to thank Dirtrider for his or her post:
Kimba
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:04 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 188 thanks
Received: 372 thanks
Bike(s): 5 Spot
Favorite Trails: Why woods
The pickleball and tennis debate was the issue of focus at the meeting. During one of the first meetings for the public input part of the assessment, there were 14 votes to add pickleball courts. It's interesting to note that bike parks and bike trails were around 17 votes, this was a while ago so I maybe off on this. But it definitely shows that those that turn out to these meetings are heard.

What I found truly concerning at this meeting is that they based alot of what they were going to do with these three parks on the mail in survey. Apparently they received 600 responses. So they are using 600 surveys to make decisions for a population of around 110,000. The counsel members were of the opinion that the "math" in this study was well done and well founded. I can't believe that they thought that this was reliable at all???

At the meeting there was a huge turn out from tennis players as the plan was proposing converting 2 courts located at Kelly Park into pickle ball courts. No one from the pickleball lobby attended. It was estimated that there are @ 15-20K tennis players to 300 pickleball players. When the counsel inquired why were the parks and rec and the consultants pushing for pickleball in light of this, they stated that they were making a decision based on the PHILOSOPHY that the minor user groups needed the opportunity to play pickleball.

The tennis players made enough stink that the court conversion was tabled for now. This is encouraging that groups can make a difference if we make ourselves heard.

Some interesting points I heard were that this plan is allocating 11.8 MM $ for upgrading three parks.
A gut wrencher for me is that they are planning to spend 580,000 of this on adding an offleash dog park.
Thats gotta be a nice park...

There are still places and parks that have not been fully planned and it seems that now is the time to continue to put pressure on the counsel and Mayor.
They truly need to educated on basic info such as the difference between single track, fire road and dg paths.
Parks and Rec tried to convince them that bikers have enough resources since there are 55 miles of trails in Carlsbad. Breaking this down we have 11 total miles of offroad riding in Carlsbad...5 at Calaveras and 6 at La Costa. Hopefully more people get involved. When asked by Pres of SDMBA if the counsel members knew what a pike park was, none of them raised there hand.

The following 2 users would like to thank antipop for his or her post:
Dirtrider, J.A.M.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:58 pm 
Obsessed
Obsessed

^^^^ Thank you sir.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:36 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 357 thanks
Received: 550 thanks
Bike(s): I like bikes
Favorite Trails: Any
Another thanks. ^^^

The P&R Dir is interested in meeting to walk potential sites. We rescheduled our meeting this wee due to rain.

He and the Mayor have scheduled a meeting with us in mid Jan.

I'll keep pushing to make progress.

The following 5 users would like to thank J.A.M. for his or her post:
antipop, bankerboy, Big Clyde, Canaan, Dirtrider