Post subject: Hodges News
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:45 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 442 thanks
Received: 2590 thanks
Bike(s): RIP9, Nomad
Favorite Trails: Backcountry
Between the DT ride last Wed night and my usual lunch ride today, there's been a few changes a foot at South Hodges.

1. New are LARGE, white/black/orange 3' x 2' signs at all enterances by SDRP.org explaining people to observe closed/burn areas.
2. Gone is the bridge linking the park side to the waterfall side. The fiberglass bridge spans were affected by the heat from last year's fires (and I guess could not be certified). A large front end loader was parked on the south side w/ a orange fence around it, forcing you to take a new path around it.
3. The access path off West Bernardo road to the south side of the bridge has been graded and steel plates were placed over the section of large bouder rock. The path is now mostly powder until we get some rain.
4. Straw is in place on trails that are closed for rehabilitation.
5. The shoulder of West Bernardo road between the dirt lot and the waterfront path was graded last week to take out the severe ruts/washes in preparation for a path to the new bridge.
6. The pedestrian bridge between north and south Hodges is well on its way to being done. The "road bed" is done and workers had 5 sections of fence/railing in place at noon.

I didn't have my camera today, or I would have taken pics.

The following 4 users would like to thank GP_pilot for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, moondogg, OldDogDan, Supple1
 Post subject: Re: Hodges News
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:45 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 146 thanks
Received: 293 thanks
An example of how contractors do trail work...

At least it sounds like they finally got their funding.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:05 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1013 thanks
Received: 1233 thanks
Favorite Trails: The one I'm riding today.
They're saying the pedestrian bridge is supposed to be done by the end of April. Here's hoping.

Also, how long after the bridge opens will it then be closed due to Equestrians whining and complaining because they aren't allowed to take it? I'm being sarcastic of course, but also wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:33 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 436 thanks
Received: 306 thanks
Bike(s): toomanytolistand2crackedframes
Favorite Trails: illegal ones
Hodges smells like snatch...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:02 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 146 thanks
Received: 293 thanks
Just got back from a lunch ride. Talk about powder...let's hope for that rain this weekend.

Post subject: In other Hodges News
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:10 pm 
Active Participant
Active Participant

Given: 12 thanks
Received: 954 thanks
Bike(s): Intense 6.6 / Spider
Favorite Trails: Palm Canyon
SDMBA's Matt Merritt and Rich Julian have met with the SDRP folks and it looks like the singletracks on the hill above the boat ramp are going to see some maintenance and then be added to the legitimate trail system. Some of the unsustainable/redundant stuff is going to be shutdown/rerouted while the good stuff is going to remain and tweaked. It will be a nice legal addition to the place. Be on the lookout for when time comes to get dirty :D

The following 11 users would like to thank MTBBill for his or her post:
bajamtnbkr, Big Clyde, bjammin, Chadster, dirtmonger, EBasil, moondogg, Mudd, OldDogDan, PacMan, Red Hot Sloth
 Post subject: Re: In other Hodges News
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:41 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
MTBBill wrote:
SDMBA's Matt Merritt and Rich Julian have met with the SDRP folks and it looks like the singletracks on the hill above the boat ramp are going to see some maintenance and then be added to the legitimate trail system. Some of the unsustainable/redundant stuff is going to be shutdown/rerouted while the good stuff is going to remain and tweaked. It will be a nice legal addition to the place. Be on the lookout for when time comes to get dirty :D

Bill thanks for the plug, but these talks are VERY preliminary. There has been a meeting where the subject off improving the trail around "Boat Launch Hill" was pitched and a few e-mails exchanged with the decision makers. The vision is to re-route all un-sustainable and fall line trail sections to make the entire trail rideable and more importantly fun. Ultimately, a new trail section would extend from the SDRP fire road to the boat launch area trail entrance to create a full loop trail that would keep the user off pavement. If you have been out there recently, the trail pretty much disappears up on the ridge line and trail users are left to scatter through the meadow below with no defined trail. What SDMBA is trying to offer the SDRP is a partnership in creating and managing a sustainable trail system that will minimize impact on the surrounding habitat and wildlife. (Think Rancho La Costa) Sounds great in principle, but will be difficult to achieve due to a lack of funding, environmental studies and permits. We will keep plugging away here and elsewhere until we are building more new trail than we have ever tried to keep open. At least we can dream....

The following user would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
EBasil
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:39 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 243 thanks
Received: 788 thanks
Bike(s): Trek 69'er SS
Favorite Trails: Tunnel 9
I'm stoked to learn of your vision on the issue, regardless. Rock on, brutha Matt.

The following user would like to thank EBasil for his or her post:
moondogg
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:47 am 
Obsessed
Obsessed

Given: 223 thanks
Received: 848 thanks
Bike(s): IH 6.6 & Sunday,Giant XTC
Favorite Trails: Any ST with nice flow.
sladnas wrote:
Just got back from a lunch ride. Talk about powder...let's hope for that rain this weekend.

Ask & you shall receive. :thumbsup:

EBasil wrote:
I'm stoked to learn of your vision on the issue, regardless. Rock on, brutha Matt.

+2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:00 am 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1621 thanks
Received: 1612 thanks
Bike(s): 10 5Spot, 08 XXIX, 07 Peleton
Favorite Trails: Dirty, Rocky and Single
Here is the conceptual plan for the Boat Launch Hill Trail Improvement that I am distributing to the land managers. Let me know what you think.

The following 3 users would like to thank moondogg for his or her post:
Mudd, PacMan, Red Hot Sloth
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:31 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 1013 thanks
Received: 1233 thanks
Favorite Trails: The one I'm riding today.
Looks pretty cool.

The following user would like to thank PacMan for his or her post:
moondogg
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:15 pm 
Moderately Obsessed
Moderately Obsessed

Given: 2184 thanks
Received: 1791 thanks
Favorite Trails: Dirt
moondogg wrote:
Here is the conceptual plan for the Boat Launch Hill Trail Improvement that I am distributing to the land managers. Let me know what you think.

Awesome. I rode out there a couple weeks ago for the first time since the fire and tried to do my old loop on that hill from many many years ago. I was frustrated to see my old entry point fenced off, and then find the southwestern point of the hill unrideable with steep slope and steps installed. That hill has potential to be one of the more fun singletracks in the park. I've never seen anyone else ride it, so I wasn't aware it was on anyone's radar. Very happy to hear that's not the case!

I like the concept here. I would love to see those new blue lines do a lot more winding and flowing while some of the tight, technical goodness by the old car is retained and replicated elsewhere. But those details would probably come in later.

The following user would like to thank Robo for his or her post:
moondogg
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:05 pm 
Participant
Participant

Given: 11 thanks
Received: 29 thanks
Bike(s): sc
Favorite Trails: tight single track
The proposal for the Boat Launch trail hill looks great....it is a great little chuck of single track that needs to stay single! I hope that if approved they will keep it single! The SDRP seem to like things big, wide, & as un-technical as possible. They have made alot of changes at Hodges for the worse...IMO.

People think that I am crazy but I think south Hodges has a ton of potential. I would love to see the trails that were closed due to the fire open back up and be maintained as single track. I think that the new bridge may have some bad consequences once people find out what is on the south side.